Heathrow to Southampton

Grumpy100

What is the best way to get from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise.

I would of course fly in the day before.

I was thinking that we could stay overnight at the airport and then catch some type of transport to Southampton in the morning.

Or fly in and go directly to Southampton and stay the night there and then catch the ship in the morning.

There will be only 2 of us so wondering what you all think as I am from the US and have only been to England one time but don't want to go to London this time.

Thanks.

Bearing in mind you are looking at March when the weather here can be unpredictable, i would fly in the day before and get down to Southampton that day and stay in a Southampton hotel. You can have a leisurely start to your day, have a browse around Southampton and board the ship early afternoon (boarding wont start till at least 1 pm). Staying at Heathrow is not only expensive there is nothing to do or see! Except planes.....

If you ask on here you will get loads of recomendations of good places to stay right near the docks at a reasonable price,

I agree travel down to Southampton the day before the cruise if you have no interest in visiting Lindon this trip.

The best way to get between Heathrow and Southampton depends on how much luggage you have? It's about a two hour trip, an easy journey, choices from Private car to National express coach. The later being easier without too much luggage.

Happy to provide more details if needed.

What is the best way to get from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise.

I would of course fly in the day before.

I was thinking that we could stay overnight at the airport and then catch some type of transport to Southampton in the morning.

Or fly in and go directly to Southampton and stay the night there and then catch the ship in the morning.

There will be only 2 of us so wondering what you all think as I am from the US and have only been to England one time but don't want to go to London this time.

Thanks.

Hi Grumpy. It only takes about 1hr 15 mins to get from Heathrow to Southampton by car, I have actually done this trip. It may take a bit longer by coach but not much it's a good road. There are lots of hotels around Heathrow which are reasonable.

I wouldn't suggest going by train you would have to go into London and cross it, with luggage not nice.

Have a look at this website it gives you different options including direct transfers from Heathrow to your ship. https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

Regards. Garry

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

You can't really use the train as this would mean getting a bus from Heathrow to Woking first. It is comparable timewise to the direct coach, but not worth the extra hassle in my opinion. You can use a car service. West Quay cars, Smiths for Airports all get good CC reviews. It will cost around £140.

Personally I would use the National Express coach. http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

It is normally about £15 per person, though sometimes you might get a 'special' fare. They pick up at all terminals at LHR (so make sure you specify which one on you departure point). T1,2,3 pick up at the Central Bus station, which is about a 10 minute walk after exiting the arrivals hall at each of those terminals. T4 & 5 pick up on the concourse outside the building. Journey time is around 2 hours.

As stated, Premier Inn is good and only a 5 minute easy walk from the coach station in Southampton. Cab to the terminal will be £7 (10 min trip). One last thing...if you decide to use NE, they do sometimes have a hiccup accepting US credit cards. This is because US credit card companies assume if you are buying something outside the States, you are doing something fraudulent(!), so ring your CC company before booking to tell them you are buying 'overseas'!

Simon

We have actually done a British Isles cruise out of Southampton a few years ago so I am familiar with National Express. We might just get the bus from the airport and then go down to Southampton right away and enjoy our day there before we get on the ship. I just have to figure where the bus is and what time it leaves.

Can you prebook that on the internet?

If you do not already have flights booked, an alternative is London Gatwick Airport. Its a bit nearer to Southampton with rail links and they have expanded their US flights. Although classified as "London" it is very well South of the city and therefore closer to Southampton.

Regards John

If you do not already have flights booked, an alternative is London Gatwick Airport. Its a bit nearer to Southampton with rail links and they have expanded their US flights. Although classified as "London" it is very well South of the city and therefore closer to Southampton.

Regards John

Yes as you say geographical it is closer but by road it takes 1 hour 45 mins. However the train is easier. Some are one change and some are direct but the journey is still about 2 hours it is cheap though.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk