B615 - Itinerary change (Britannia, Fjords)

tom_uk

Just had an email from my TA advising me of an itinerary change on this cruise on Britannia to the fjords. Olden is out; Andalnes is in; and Flamm has been moved by a day.

I don't know the fjords at all - this will be our first cruise to that area - but my assumption is that this change is "six of one, half a dozen of the other". Would that be right?

Hi Tom . First of all the fjords are beautiful so I guess wherever you go, it will be a lovely cruise. Worth getting up early to see the sailing in down some of the fjords - the early morning light is better!

I havent been to Andalnes, but have been to Olden. Olden is a very small "town" - more of a village, and there is little to do there. A lot of people go on the tour to the Briksdal Glacier, which is worth doing. But you're not going there now!:mad:

Andalnes looks to be a bit bigger. Not sure what there is to do from there..might be worth while having a look on the P&O website for "typical" excursions.

I have read a few posts on Facebook recently about itinerary changes in the Fjords for different ships, and different cruise lines ..one of which is goingto Olden instead of Gereinger. I suspect that there are simply too many ships going at the same time, and certainly there isn't room for more than a couple at some of the ports - especially when you take into account Hurtigruten ships who will have first priority I am sure. And as the ships are getting biger and bigger, it may be that despite relying on tourism, some of Norways powers that be have said "no" and the cruise lines are having to jiggle itineraries around.

But the bottom line is probably ....yes, you are right!

Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to reading your next blog!

Just had an email from my TA advising me of an itinerary change on this cruise on Britannia to the fjords. Olden is out; Andalnes is in; and Flamm has been moved by a day.

I don't know the fjords at all - this will be our first cruise to that area - but my assumption is that this change is "six of one, half a dozen of the other". Would that be right?

Olden is lovely, but it is small. A tiny village at the end of the Fjord. Shame you are not going there. I think something as huge as Britannia will look out of place there, but the trip down the fjord is amazing.

Andalnes we have visited once. Its a town, part of which is very pretty art deco style buildings. If I was awake when we were told about it there was a huge fire early 1900's that destroyed most of the town, and it was rebuilt.

We seem to have pix taken from high up, so there must be something going up from the town.

Flamm to us is shopping, done the train, not really worth it we felt.

When it comes down to it, its the scenery in total, so where ever you go it will be beautiful.

I have been to Olden and would be disappointed not to be going again as I didn't do the glacier and want to do it next time.

English Lady, I think you are confusing Andalnes with Alseund.

I have had a look at the P&O site and here are typical excursations from Andalnes - shame it's not Flam you are missing as there is a train ride at Andalnes too! Looks to be more North and plenty of trips around

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-destinations/andalsnes-cruises/

I would be very disappointed to not be going to Olden, it is one of my favourite ports. Very small but lovely walks up to waterfalls etc, if you didn't want to take the trip to the glacier, a very quaint place.

Andalnes, was disappointing to us. We opted to walk on our own and found nothing that interested us. So I would advice looking at excursions, especially the Rauma railway. The train station is right next to the ship, and you can do this trip on your own. However, we took our time getting off the ship and the queue was so long there was no availability to fit within our time constraints.

On a Celebrity cruise we stopped at Alesund and did the Troll Road and Troll Wall day trip. We passed through Adnalses on our way back and it is a one street town.

The tour was an excellent day, but it threw it down so no chance of seeing the Troll Road or wall, other than by looking at posters and photos!

The inclusive lunch in the Troll Wall visitor centre was excellent.

You will probably tender ashore to Andalsnes; we did from Oriana. There's virtually nothing there; we were back onboard within an hour!

The railway is almost next to where you land and you can do trips, but the ship will offer a number of excursions. We wish we'd done one now.

I booked this cruise today, and Olden was something I was looking forward to as it appears on the map to be like Flam - at the end of a long Fjord. We have been to Flam before, and I loved standing on deck as the ship made it's way along the Fjord. This time we've booked a balcony to fully enjoy the scenery.

Here's hoping Andalnes provides nice scenery