Cruise insurance for American

paulinestoker

I have been looking at fjords cruises with P&O and have just found out about this travel insurance requirement. The one offered through the cruise line seems very straight forward but not available to me as an American. I can't find any companies here in the States offering the 2 million pounds coverage that they require ($1.5 million was as close as I could find). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! This is a great forum, and I have learned a lot from you all.

I have been looking at fjords cruises with P&O and have just found out about this travel insurance requirement. The one offered through the cruise line seems very straight forward but not available to me as an American. I can't find any companies here in the States offering the 2 million pounds coverage that they require ($1.5 million was as close as I could find). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! This is a great forum, and I have learned a lot from you all.

We have annual travel insurance which is worldwide and covers cruising. P&O have never asked to see our documents but we carry them. On P&O's cruise personalizer they ask for the insurance company and the emergency contact number, they don't ask for the policy number or anything else........ so I don't have to spell it out do I, just make sure you have insurance that covers you.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

OK! Thank you. I can definitely provide an insurance company and contact number.

Yes, I think so long as you have got valid insurance covering medical, which includes the geographical area and covers cruising it will be acceptable. The details of the policy and 24hr medical emergency line need to be put in the Cruise Personaliser and that is the end of it, unless a claim is made.

Regards John

Thanks so much! That's great. It was just the 2 million pounds thing that was causing me a problem. Fingers crossed it all works out!

I believe the £2 million cover is in case of medevac by helicopter, which is very expensive. I'm surprised that you are finding it hard - my normal annual travel insurance covers up to £10 million. Or is it because many Americans choose to self insure as it isn't a requirement to have cover over there? Hope you have a great cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by Host Sharon

Thank you for that! Travel insurance is much more common in the UK so I think the prices are a lot more competitive. It would have been very easy to pay 25 pounds for the insurance through P&O for 2 million pounds max coverage and be done with it. I have just received one quote at $75 for only $250,000 max coverage. Very different over here. Still looking around.