Taking your own bottles of wine onboard ???

TotallyAngelic

It's one of the things that keeps me with P and O; so civilised! I take some gin onboard and buy the tonics by ordering through my Cabin Steward who also brings daily ice and lemon.

I like to try a bottle of local wine or liqueurs when I'm travelling and P and O never make a fuss; they just scan your bag as you board. There's nothing nicer than having a drink late afternoon on the balcony watching the sea.

It doesn't mean I don't spend money in the bars and buy wine with dinner; I do.

Ships that forbid alcohol are just asking for smuggling;if they treat me like a naughty schoolgirl I'll behave like one! I know how to get booze onto any ship undetected.

But I'd rather just take it on openly onto a civilised ship.

I only take a bottle of champagne now for the sail away in Southampton. I've found that when I do take wine it doesn't get used so for me it's just extra unnecessary weight. We tend to go to a bar for a pre-dinner drink, have a bottle of wine with dinner and perhaps a post-dinner brandy. If we have any more we never make it to any entertainment and end up collapsing into bed at 10pm [emoji23] Having said that we are on a 24 nighter with loads of sea days this year so I am contemplating a red and white wine box - anticipating that's going to be easier than bottles.

My other half and I brought a bottle of wine each on board at most ports. I just used a tote bag and he had a rucksack. No one bothered at all when we got back on board. We also stocked up on bottles of water. These were consumed in our cabin.

We get water and fresh milk where we can, although it went wrong one year when I accidentally brought a yogurt drink [emoji53] made us laugh though. I love going into supermarkets at the ports if we can find them, they seem so much more interesting than those at home!

We get water and fresh milk where we can, although it went wrong one year when I accidentally brought a yogurt drink [emoji53] made us laugh though. I love going into supermarkets at the ports if we can find them, they seem so much more interesting than those at home!

They do, don't they? :)

OK silly question ... are you allowed to only drink the wine you bring on within the 4 walls of your cabin ... or can you take a glass of bubbly out of your cabin up to an open deck to watch the sailaway. Just wondering whether this would be possible. Thanks :)

No you can't, unless you don't get caught [emoji102] I usually just buy a glass at sail and save a full bottle for a more leisurely day when I feel like I have time to relax - day1 always seems a bit hectic and tiring to drink a bottle at sail away and start again at dinner!

Edited by Florry

OK silly question ... are you allowed to only drink the wine you bring on within the 4 walls of your cabin ... or can you take a glass of bubbly out of your cabin up to an open deck to watch the sailaway. Just wondering whether this would be possible. Thanks :)

I think it's all about to what degree you want to risk it. We normally get a couple of glasses which match the certain drinks. Tall for champagne, port/gin and wine glasses buy buying the drinks. Then if you feel like it top up each one from your cabin and they would never know. We usually take a glass into the dining room every night as personally we prefer our own. Then just top up buy buying as the night progresses. Aslong as your careful they wouldn't know. And as others say the prices are so reasonable it won't break the bank to enjoy there selection. :)

I think it's all about to what degree you want to risk it. We normally get a couple of glasses which match the certain drinks. Tall for champagne, port/gin and wine glasses buy buying the drinks. Then if you feel like it top up each one from your cabin and they would never know. We usually take a glass into the dining room every night as personally we prefer our own. Then just top up buy buying as the night progresses. Aslong as your careful they wouldn't know. And as others say the prices are so reasonable it won't break the bank to enjoy there selection. :)

OOH you are clever aren't you!?.

When P and O decide that they will join the rest of the lines and stop drink being brought on board I am sure you will still think you are very very clever.

They trust their guests to observe the simple rule they set, cabin only consumption, so why do you think that doesn't apply to you?

You have said their prices are reasonable.

Thanks ... we would certainly be buying most drinks at the bar ... things like cocktails and beer etc we wouldn't be taking on board. It's just that without a balcony we wouldn't have anywhere nice to sit and drink our own stuff in the cabin while watching the ocean, so thought finding a place on the upper deck to have a glass of our own stuff would be do-able. Surely people will be none the wiser as we could have bought the drinks in the bar and taken them up to the upper deck. I think otherwise there will be no point taking the wine on board as I wouldn't want to be stuck in the cabin just so I could drink it ...... :confused:

Thanks ... we would certainly be buying most drinks at the bar ... things like cocktails and beer etc we wouldn't be taking on board. It's just that without a balcony we wouldn't have anywhere nice to sit and drink our own stuff in the cabin while watching the ocean, so thought finding a place on the upper deck to have a glass of our own stuff would be do-able. Surely people will be none the wiser as we could have bought the drinks in the bar and taken them up to the upper deck. I think otherwise there will be no point taking the wine on board as I wouldn't want to be stuck in the cabin just so I could drink it ...... :confused:

It's only in recent years we have had balconies, when we had insides we found we took wine and didn't drink it for exactly the reason you say. I think we did end up drinking a bottle of champagne on deck one cruise but it wasn't warm and there was nobody else around. I do know what you mean, planning a cruise is so exciting and the dream of drinking your champagne whilst watching the waves, gets you through the stressful months at work between booking and sail-away [emoji4] you might get an opportunity to drink it but generally the decks are full of people and staff at sail-away. The drinks aren't too expensive so personally I'd go for the easy option of just buying a glass or two on deck, they walk around with trays of them. Have a great cruise.

It's only in recent years we have had balconies, when we had insides we found we took wine and didn't drink it for exactly the reason you say. I think we did end up drinking a bottle of champagne on deck one cruise but it wasn't warm and there was nobody else around. I do know what you mean, planning a cruise is so exciting and the dream of drinking your champagne whilst watching the waves, gets you through the stressful months at work between booking and sail-away [emoji4] you might get an opportunity to drink it but generally the decks are full of people and staff at sail-away. The drinks aren't too expensive so personally I'd go for the easy option of just buying a glass or two on deck, they walk around with trays of them. Have a great cruise.

Thank you ... I am not really a big drinker anyway, just one pre-dinner, one during and maybe a drink later if we go and do something after dinner. It was just that the opportunity was there and I thought why not make the most of it. Thanks again. :)

Thank you ... I am not really a big drinker anyway, just one pre-dinner, one during and maybe a drink later if we go and do something after dinner. It was just that the opportunity was there and I thought why not make the most of it. Thanks again. :)

I would take it and see what happens. We met lovely people on our first cruise with P&O and they invited us for drinks one night - always handy to have a bottle if that happens! We often cruise with a couple we met on the old P&O forum and then onboard - we usually take a bottle each (or two) and share them before dinner [emoji4]

Believe me, in the majority of cases everyone knows that you have filled up your glass in your room. P&O pour drinks properly into the right size glass. So most of those who think they are being clever and taking a glass to dinner from their personal room supply. We know! No bar or waiter ever fills your glass to the rim! I think they must end up spending more on dry cleaning due to the wine slosh, than they save by being tight.

As has been said P&O prices are really reasonable, but if you want to drink champagne, or wine on an open deck it's so much nicer to just buy it there, served at the right temperature, and if you are buying a bottle, in an ice bucket. That really makes it all seem special.

Bottles of wine are readily available around the £16 price point. Prosecco less than £20, my favourite sparkling is the Ice cuvée at £32.50, champagne starts at £40. Most are also available from certain bars by the glass.

I totally understand why some like to bring drinks onboard for the allowed in cabin consumption, I don't understand why they need to save as little as £4 to break the rules.

I don't think we were talking about drinking copious amounts, sneaking to cabins to fill up glasses etc. It's just someone in an inside asking a question because like everyone else they want to take a bottle of champagne but don't have the luxury of a balcony. It's not usually the people who worry enough to ask the question that are the issue; if they care enough to do that it necessarily follows that they aren't the sort to take advantage.