Azura cabin L209

geordie61

Hi to everyone,first of many posts i guess:). Just booked our first ever cruise(not til Nov) 2 weeks East Caribbean. We have our booking confirmation showing HF/Balcony cabin L209. When we look on Azura website there are lots of different types of cabins but none that match the info we have,any help appreciated no doubt a few rookie mistakes to come:rolleyes:

Hi - your cabin is a balcony cabin on Lido deck (high up on the ship) near the front.

If you google "azura deck plans" you will find one of the results is a pdf version - download that and you should be able to find your cabin OK.

Ask away - there are lots of friendly people on here just waiting to answer your questions!

This cabin is situated on Lido deck, third balcony from front of ship, starboard side (right hand side). Lido deck is also known as deck 15. It should be noted that Lido deck has far fewer cabins than most other decks. This is a nice location in my opinion particularly if you like swimming as pools are easy access from this cabin but you are sufficiently far away from any noise in pool area. The letters HF refer to the grade of cabin as in the pricing structure of the fare. H indicates cabin type; it is a Balcony Cabin with a shower. The F is the grade with A being the highest price down to F the cheapest. I would choose this one myself but it is priced lower because of remoteness from infrastructure, main dining rooms and in heavy seas rolling of the ship is felt more the higher up you are.

Decks are numbered from the bottom upwards with ascending numbers like in a block of flats 4,5,6 etc. as you get higher, they also run alphabetically downwards A,B,C etc. as you go lower. To make things confusing they never have a deck 13 and also have the letters P, R, and L added in, but not in an alphabetical sequence. P for Plaza which is lowest passenger deck and R for Riviera and above that L for Lido, the highest passenger deck. The deck between E and F is the Promenade deck does not have a letter or cabins. When you get on board you will find A, B, C etc. stand for something e.g. C is Canada Deck the lifts will remind you of the names on the day. I cannot think why a person new to cruising would be confused by this straight forward logical system.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Many thanks for the quick replies, we assume our room on the drop down menu will be one of the balcony staterooms? Wondering what the bracketed letters from JA through to JG mean? Got the PDF up and found our room,thanks. Should be able to find my way round by the time we get back to Barbados:) Our first cruise so plenty research to be done,once again thanks for your help.

We had cabin L305 on Azura last year, we thought it was lovely, easy for the pools and buffet restaurants, balcony shaded during the day but sunrise and sunset (depending which way we were sailing) it was nice and sunny. A bit of noise in the morning above the cabin, sunbeds being pulled out I think and a bit of cabin movement one day when it was a bit windy. We loved Lido deck and would definitely book that deck again.

Many thanks for the quick replies, we assume our room on the drop down menu will be one of the balcony staterooms? Wondering what the bracketed letters from JA through to JG mean? Got the PDF up and found our room,thanks. Should be able to find my way round by the time we get back to Barbados:) Our first cruise so plenty research to be done,once again thanks for your help.

Not quite aure what you mean by Ja theought to JG? Or where you are looking at a drop down menu? - edit - just seen the drop down menus on Cruise critic - were you looking at those? They are wrong!

Make sure you are looking at an up to date deck plan for 2015/2016 as PandO do have a habit of regrading cabins.....this may be where the J range comes from.

Edited by Mysticalmother
See text

Not quite aure what you mean by Ja theought to JG? Or where you are looking at a drop down menu? Make sure you are looking at an up to date deck plan for 2015/2016 as PandO do have a habit of regrading cabins.....this may be where the J range comes from.

I was wondering about the JA to JG issue. My theory is that P&O list grades from the most expensive or better cabin types such as suites with early letters of the alphabet "B" for example then Superior Deluxe Balcony cabins with another letter further down the alphabet these are "D" and so on as accommodation quality is not as good. I believe Azura Balcony with Shower cabins were previously designated with a J prefix. When Britannia came into the fleet the wider range of cabins produced a problem. I think JA to JG were previously Balconies with showers. Britannia offers no fewer than four different types of standard Balcony Cabin; (i) with Shower and Sofa, (ii) with Shower (without Sofa), (iii)(Obstructed View) with Shower and Sofa and (iv) (obstructed View) with Shower (without Sofa). They have used the letters G,H,I & J to prefix these and in so doing the J prefix has ended up lowly and standard Azura "Balcony with Shower" cabins have had to go up the alphabet to H prefix to be consistent across the fleet.

They are bracketing in the older J prefix series in case people remember their previous Balcony Cabin grade I believe for comparison arising in this way.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I'm new to P&O having only done one cruise.

I found this thread as I was booking another. As I had the brochure in front of me I could understand these explanations. I have to say without it I would have been struggling.

Anyway after the best part of an evening checking which cabins were available I have now decided.

I clicked the do not upgrade button as I admit I haven't quite got to grips as to why some of the next category up are better......another five years perhaps???

I presume P&P keep it this way so you don't book a grade lower hoping to be upgraded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we stayed in L210 on the Azura on our Caribbean Christmas/New Year holiday in December/Jan just gone. We loved our cabin and its location it was so quiet and perfectly located for the pool decks and buffets. We always got waves from the captain and his crew being so close to the bridge. I'm very fussy and would most definitely book this cabin again.