Redbury South Beach

madiaka

Any opinions on this hotel? It has good ratings on trip advisor but I'm not sure of it because it's pictures don't look that nice. Dark carpet and somewhat gloomy. It's half price today for Cyber Monday so that makes it around $150 for 350 sq ft or $228 for 715 sq ft for my dates in April 2016. Refundable until 30 days out.

I already have the JW Marriott Marquis booked for $200 something and I know this won't be half as nice but thinking of the possibility of switching to South/ Miami Beach for our 3 day stay.

Someone mentioned Key Biscayne before since I'm traveling with a 4 year old and had plans for the sea aquarium but that's out of my price range for the quality of hotel that I want. Going on Disney so already spending a lot.

You don't sound like a big fan of the "boutique" hotel experience. I would think long and hard about staying there for three nights with a four year old. Usually these hotels discourage small children but I was surprised to see baby sitting listed among the concierge services available. But most important is that the area is not at all family friendly--while none of South Beach is after dark, no way should you take a kid to the 20th/21st beach even during the day.

Are there any areas that are better for younger children? I've been to Miami a few times and my concern about downtown is safety. I don't consider it walkable after dark. I'd love the JW but don't want to feel I'm stuck in my hotel in the evenings unless I want to take a cab. Note: I haven't been in about 7 years so maybe it's better now. We plan to be back in our rooms at 9 or so regardless.

I stayed at the Courtyard Cadillac before but I'd like to go without a car and that seems far away for Lincoln Road mall, Bayside, etc.

Are there any areas that are better for younger children? I've been to Miami a few times and my concern about downtown is safety. I don't consider it walkable after dark. I'd love the JW but don't want to feel I'm stuck in my hotel in the evenings unless I want to take a cab. Note: I haven't been in about 7 years so maybe it's better now. We plan to be back in our rooms at 9 or so regardless.

I stayed at the Courtyard Cadillac before but I'd like to go without a car and that seems far away for Lincoln Road mall, Bayside, etc.

South Beach is perfectly fine for families as long as you aren't there during Ultra, Winter Music Festival, Urban Beach Week, etc. Check with the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce or Convention & Visitors Bureau to make sure there isn't some event that brings tens of thousands of twenty somethings to Miami Beach.

I agree with Fishywood that the smaller, boutique hotels may be a problem for you because of thin walls (these are very old hotels) and very small rooms.

I'd book the 715sqft room because you'll want the extra room so you don't have to go to sleep when your child goes to sleep.

I'd book the hotel then start stalking other hotel sites. If your dates are the end of April, you have a good chance of the bigger chains to start dropping prices because it is the end of season.

Otherwise, you'll see families in South Beach. There is even an elementary school in South Beach!

Thanks. The funny thing is the 715 sq ft room isn't an option since its max occupancy is 2. I didn't find that out until after I posted. They have a sofa and king bed but that's it. So I concluded that they really don't want kids there. They only have a double room with no view available for anyone booking with more than 2 people. But, thanks for the feedback. I'm more comfortable booking in south beach now. I'll check the calendar to see if any major events are going on and will just stay downtown if it'll be too crowded. 3rd week in April are my dates.

Thanks. The funny thing is the 715 sq ft room isn't an option since its max occupancy is 2. I didn't find that out until after I posted. They have a sofa and king bed but that's it. So I concluded that they really don't want kids there. They only have a double room with no view available for anyone booking with more than 2 people. But, thanks for the feedback. I'm more comfortable booking in south beach now. I'll check the calendar to see if any major events are going on and will just stay downtown if it'll be too crowded. 3rd week in April are my dates.

You will not get a view at any of the South Beach hotels unless you pay big bucks for it.

Take a look at The Clay Hotel. They are very reasonable and have a two bedroom family suite.