Question about Taormina

Edmontontraveller

Our ship is coming in through Giardina Navos and I wish to see Taormina and Castleloma. The tour buses cannot get as far into Castleloma and this would lead to walking that is not do-able for my mother. We are looking at tours and perhaps a bit too late. I had been banking on a DIY and feeling that we could do public transport. I am now hearing we will waste a lot of time. What I don't like about the tours is that they go to Taormina first and I'd rather end in Taormina and have LOTS of free time there. They do Castleloma last. Part of me is thinking of just getting a cab at the port to take me to Castleloma and then Taormina and then late in the day get another cab back. I have been told that this may be difficult for the way back as cabs are scare at the end of the day. I don't wish to be stranded.

Can anyone who has done this comment?

First of all post on your roll call and see if there is anyone interested in sharing a taxi with you.

I have just come back from a med cruise.

Certainly at Messina port there was a board displayed with prices for taxis. We didn't want to do the tours listed so we asked one of the taxi driver godfathers how much a taxi would be to Taromina with a 3 hour stop. We were told it was €200, between us and the taxi godfather we found another couple to share the taxi so it cost €50 each. In hindsight it would have been easier to pair up with someone pre-cruise, but it all worked out great.

edmonton -

you asked in a previous post about the ho-ho bus: http://www.taorminahop.it/service.html

Scroll down that page and look at the suggested DIY excursion that stops at Castelmola first.

The stop in Castelmola is at the Piazza San Antonio which is a the top, center of the village. From there you can walk around and it is relatively flat. There is an elevator you can take up to the castle if you wish. The next stop would be Taormina where you can spend more time. Look at the website again. They have a contact page so you can send them a question if you need more details, such as confirming that they do stop at the Piazza San Antonio in Castelmola and that you can get back on there.

The taxi to Taormina is 25 euros one-way. There is no need to have it wait and pay for the extra time. There were enough taxis for the return trip.

Edited by marazul

You might also want to check out Sicily Life tours. We've used them a few times (twice to Taormina), and they've been great. You can arrange your day in any order you want. I believe that we did Castelmola first, then Taormina on our first trip and on the second trip we did their Godfather tour and skipped Castelmola completely so we could have more time in Taormina. It's up to you. They may be pricier than a taxi, so you may want to see if someone from your roll call wants to join in.

You might also want to check out Sicily Life tours. We've used them a few times (twice to Taormina), and they've been great. You can arrange your day in any order you want. I believe that we did Castelmola first, then Taormina on our first trip and on the second trip we did their Godfather tour and skipped Castelmola completely so we could have more time in Taormina. It's up to you. They may be pricier than a taxi, so you may want to see if someone from your roll call wants to join in.

We are using Sicily Life next April, and our last stop will be Taormina. The tour we're taking is called The Hidden Villages/Godfather Tour and we're going to Savoca, Forza D'Agro, and Castelmola before Taormina. You might see if they have a shorter tour or will customize a tour if you only want to go to Castelmola and Taormina. They're not cheap, but I found their pricing to be in line with others I contacted, and I feel more comfortable doing it that way then trying to use taxis or public transportation.