Mobile Phone-ATT

molemaui

Does anyone have experience how much data is used when you use the maps on your phone. (apple maps) ATT offers 200MB of data for $40 and 300MB for $60. Everything besides maps we can do at the hotel on WiFi so I'm just concerned about data usage for maps. I do not plan on making calls.

Besides the international options from ATT, does anyone have any other ideas?

thanks

Does Apple Maps have a "work off line" option? We used this on our tablets (Androids) for Google Maps this month in Germany and France. You get a fairly detailed map off the internet, stored on your phone/tablet, when you have wifi, and don't use data. Worked pretty well, although you can't save a copy of the directions. We took a picture of the directions, and used that.

If you are walking around Rome, there are tons of printed maps available.

I suggest you forego Apple Maps in favor of Google Maps or Here WeGo. Both GPS map apps are free and provide offline directions and, therefore, do not need to access cellular data while you are traveling in Europe or anywhere else.

In order to use these apps you'll need to download map data for the areas you will be visiting before you leave home. Be sure to put your iPhone in Airplane Mode before you open the app and you're good to go.

Although both apps work pretty much the same, I find Here WeGo easier to use...much better for walking directions. If you wish, you can setup an account on your iPhone and on your computer at Here.com to setup collections of favorite places. Once you enter favorite places, they'll sync between the web app on your computer and the app on your iPhone. I've used Here WeGo on two trips to Europe and it works as advertised.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Here.png.4a5cdfab8a19f6e5df8755e7fd20f349.png

665555753_GoogleMaps.jpg.f12ca1549460c940fca437ec14da49d3.jpg

I suggest you forego Apple Maps in favor of Google Maps or Here WeGo. Both GPS map apps are free and provide offline directions and, therefore, do not need to access cellular data while you are traveling in Europe or anywhere else.

In order to use these apps you'll need to download map data for the areas you will be visiting before you leave home. Be sure to put your iPhone in Airplane Mode before you open the app and you're good to go.

Although both apps work pretty much the same, I find Here WeGo easier to use...much better for walking directions. If you wish, you can setup an account on your iPhone and on your computer at Here.com to setup collections of favorite places. Once you enter favorite places, they'll sync between the web app on your computer and the app on your iPhone. I've used Here WeGo on two trips to Europe and it works as advertised.

[ATTACH]393108[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]393109[/ATTACH]

Actually, if you have free wifi in your hotel in country, you can load maps while on your trip. You don't absolutely have to do it at home. That is helpful if your plans change along your trip.

Worked pretty well, although you can't save a copy of the directions. We took a picture of the directions, and used that.

Google Maps directions are able to be saved on iOS devices by sharing them with other apps and then tapping on that link when you want to view them. I shared sample directions in Rome to the Apple Notes App and reproduced it here...give it a try.

Perhaps there's a comparable way to share in Google Maps on your Android devices.

Google Maps directions are able to be saved on iOS devices by sharing them with other apps and then tapping on that link when you want to view them. I shared sample directions in Rome to the Apple Notes App and reproduced it here...give it a try.

Perhaps there's a comparable way to share in Google Maps on your Android devices.

Looks good...