Norway...Veranda?

Hawaiidan

Booking for a a mid July O cruise from Amsterdam to the Fjords Loooking at weather and it appears that it will be cloudy and overcast some 50% and temps in the 65-66 F range.

For anyone who has sailed in the region, did you get to use your veranda much and how was the overall experience when and if you did.... I grabbed 7008 on the Marina as the largest veranda on the ship... ( took that from Tahiti to NY a few years ago and loved it)

Suggestions , experiences, comments?

we did Norway and had one, used it a lot. Weather can be cool but views are amazing. Love bundling up, having breakfast in cabin, and enjoying hot coffee on it. Don t want to miss something by having to get up on deck to see it. Its light most of time,so go for it.

Know some people say they re never in cabin,but we re not like that.Enjoy resting and watching world go by.

In July 2010 when we went as far north as the arctic cape, it was FRRRRREEEEZING. But this summer we didn't go as far north (we did get to North Cape but it was a warm day), and we had some wonderful weather. Yes, we used our veranda quite a bit.

Mura

we did Norway and had one, used it a lot. Weather can be cool but views are amazing. Love bundling up, having breakfast in cabin, and enjoying hot coffee on it. Don t want to miss something by having to get up on deck to see it. Its light most of time,so go for it.

Know some people say they re never in cabin,but we re not like that.Enjoy resting and watching world go by.

I think that on cool weather cruises it is especially nice to have a balcony. On our South American cruise this year, we had an aft balcony directly below the main observation deck. The people above us froze their buns off on the windy deck to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but we were nice and sheltered on our verandah. Instead of wearing down jackets and toques, we wore bathrobes!

ThI booked 7008 which is wind sheltered but has a HUGE-GIANT veranda 2x larger than other verandas,

What is great is it extends all the way out to the edge of the hull....which affords a view like being on the bridge. All the other cabins verandas stop some 6 ft from the hull restricting viability. I see too that these cabins in 2017 are now B-2 cabins not B3 as the used to be. +$$$$

Booking for a a mid July O cruise from Amsterdam to the Fjords Loooking at weather and it appears that it will be cloudy and overcast some 50% and temps in the 65-66 F range.

For anyone who has sailed in the region, did you get to use your veranda much and how was the overall experience when and if you did.... I grabbed 7008 on the Marina as the largest veranda on the ship... ( took that from Tahiti to NY a few years ago and loved it)

Suggestions , experiences, comments?

We cruised Norway in summer of 2015. We had a veranda and were very glad to have had it. The views were spectacular and we enjoyed being able to go out for sail-in and/or sail aways. For the sail into Geiranger though, we had to be up on the top deck. Having the 360-degree view was absolutely necessary and one obviously cannot have that from one's veranda. For us, the sail into the fjord began at 5am and it was well worth it to be up on deck at that hour. It was spectacular, albeit rather cold. So, make sure to pack some warm clothes!

We cruised Norway in summer of 2015. We had a veranda and were very glad to have had it. The views were spectacular and we enjoyed being able to go out for sail-in and/or sail aways. For the sail into Geiranger though, we had to be up on the top deck. Having the 360-degree view was absolutely necessary and one obviously cannot have that from one's veranda. For us, the sail into the fjord began at 5am and it was well worth it to be up on deck at that hour. It was spectacular, albeit rather cold. So, make sure to pack some warm clothes!

That is my take on Alaska too, a veranda is a supplement and when sailing out of a fjord after having captured the true dynamic of the experience no possible from a veranda no matter how big well maybe a vista suite...

Thanks for the time 0500.... I will make a note

Weather in Norway in summer runs from cold and wet to warm and wet and also dry, warm and sunny. Get the balcony. At worst you can wrap up and enjoy it and at best you will be sitting out in the sun, Schnapps in hand.

Sounds like Swiss weather.... I got the 7008 giant veranda..port side and I will try the schnapps, but feel Austrian Stroh, from Klangfurt at 90% would ward off any chill.... and what you have left your car can run on

Bis bald...Dan

This won't help Dan because he's on Marina. But for other readers, I'll throw in that we sailed the Norwegian fjords last year aboard Nautica. We deliberately chose #7000 as it is one of four regular-size cabins with a forward-facing veranda. Fantastic!

Was it windy occasionally? Yes, of course, but our cruise was in August. It was never really cold and we spent a whole lot of time sharing the same view as the Captain on the bridge right above us.

That same view can be enjoyed in a Vista suite, of course, or you can obtain the reverse view in one of the stern suites.

Most of the time, we prefer the verandas on one side or the other because of the protection from the wind. But for fjords, it's so much more exciting to have that view straight ahead. Just bring a warm scarf, a secure hat and a nice lightweight parka; you're all set.

This won't help Dan because he's on Marina. But for other readers, I'll throw in that we sailed the Norwegian fjords last year aboard Nautica. We deliberately chose #7000 as it is one of four regular-size cabins with a forward-facing veranda. Fantastic!

Was it windy occasionally? Yes, of course, but our cruise was in August. It was never really cold and we spent a whole lot of time sharing the same view as the Captain on the bridge right above us.

That same view can be enjoyed in a Vista suite, of course, or you can obtain the reverse view in one of the stern suites.

Most of the time, we prefer the verandas on one side or the other because of the protection from the wind. But for fjords, it's so much more exciting to have that view straight ahead. Just bring a warm scarf, a secure hat and a nice lightweight parka; you're all set.

Thanks for your input and advice I appreciate it. Normally wind whipped but in sheltered slow cruising excellent advice

Normally I really love the aft views but when sailing through such a mind-blowing visual experience, forward is best! I agree.

We did enjoy our midships location on a veranda leaving Geiranger this July, I would have wasted a lot of film if I still used a film camera ... It was gorgeous as it was, but forward looking is THE BEST.

Mura

Normally I really love the aft views but when sailing through such a mind-blowing visual experience, forward is best! I agree.

We did enjoy our midships location on a veranda leaving Geiranger this July, I would have wasted a lot of film if I still used a film camera ... It was gorgeous as it was, but forward looking is THE BEST.

Mura

I agree

Years ago when we had the mini cam we were on deck most of the time (we were in an inside anyway)

I must have about 1 hr of film on just the sail into Flam & Geiranger

the waterfalls were spectacular

i-QSPHnCm-S.jpg

i-m2SFqNG-S.jpg

If it's scenic get a balcony.We had balconies in Antarctic and Norwegian fjords.

If there was something special,unusual,breathtaking and the captain told you about it,you could pop out to see it( obviously if you were the correct side). We were changing for dinner a couple of times and told of spectacular wildlife or glaciers on our side.Jumped out of bath,slipped on robe,g&t in hand and watched.Never mind the weather..The sight is worth it...

Go for a veranda everytime, although you only get one side of the vessel( unless you are in the bows/stern suites). For the best photos of Norway, wrap up stand on the highest parts of the ship at all hours . particularly at midnight and sunset, totally mind blowing.Some of my best sunsets came in the fjords.Tromso, gets dark and light at the same time,sail around the island,the port side in sun starboard in dark.

So many places seen so many more to see, 75 cruises and counting more to come.

In looking at the route departs Amsterdam, then up to Bergen with starbord side facing land heading north to Kristiansund..... our second of 12.

.However once there we head south with the Port side greeting the dawn in every port and Fijord/ city as we weave in and out heading south facing the land all the way and the dawn . Always port side to... all the way to Copenhagen and Warnemund/ Berlin. I figure the mornings will have the best light....thats the way in the so pacific....

I reserved about . well my agent reserved about 10 min after the cruise opened Nov 16......

We just sailed in mid-August RT Amsterdam up the Norwegian coast to the North Cape and back on Azamara Quest. No Putinland visits for us now so we could not book on Oceania.

It was a magnificent cruise with great weather after much rain earlier in the season. I was surprised at how much time I spent on our veranda, so lovely and peaceful when cruising these gorgeous fjords. I was amazed at how much of the time we were in inland passages; our port cabin was great and we saw some incredible sunsets.

Enjoy!