Master mixologist competition

victory2020

I was planning on entering this on our last cruise but didn't get around to signing up in time. Here is the info that I have. #1 you MUST sign up for it the day before. Check the Fun Times. For our cruise the contest was held on the first sea day and sign up was late afternoon of sail away day.

Here is a list of what you have to choose from. You use one from each catagory only and no soda pop.

#1-- Rum- Tequila or Vodka

#2-- Melon Liquor, Peach Schnapps, Blackberry Brandy, Aricot Brandy, Rasberry Liqueur, Creme de Banana, Creme de Cacao, Creme de Menthe, Butterscotch Schnapps, Blue Curacao and Triple Sec

#3-- Cranberry Juice, Pineapple Juice, OJ, Sweet & Sour Mix, Pina Colada Mix, Strawberry Daquari Mix and Banana Daquari Mix.

Here are a few tips: The Frozen drinks seemed to have and advantage. Name your drink well. Pesonality and showmanship count a great deal.

The main judge is the lead bartender on the ship. They also select a few passengers from the crowd to judge as well. On our cruise, there were 5 contestants. 4 men and 1 woman. The woman had a very vibrant personality. It probably didn't hurt that she was young 20's, had a great body and was clad in a micro bikini either. .... and yes she won.

If you win, your drink will be offered in the bars on the ship and notated in the Fun Times. It was a really fun contest to watch and I imagine would be a lot of fun to enter as well. Good Luck. :)

I have won it...as has my husband.

You are allowed one shot of liquor (like rum, vodka etc) and then you are allowed a host of other stuff like liquers and mixes etc.

They can be frozen or on the rocks.

They have a bartender there to assist you...

it was a LOT of fun!!

I have a drink I would love to submit in the competition but I am in my mid-30's, I don't have a smokin' body (sadly I'm average), and while I have a bubbly personality, I think I'd shy up in front of a crowd.

The drink? An Undercurrent. Anyone ever try one of these bad boys? I'm surprised at how many bartenders aren't familiar with it. They're quite tasty! :p

Since I don't see myself submitting it... in case anyone is interested:

1 oz Absolut Kurant Vodka

1/2 oz Blue Curacao Liqueur

1/2 oz Sweet & Sour Mix

1/4 oz Sugar Syrup

1 splash Sprite (Not a must, but a tasty plus)

1/4 oz Chambord Raspberry Liqueur

Ice up a martini glass while mixing.

Mix everything except the Chambord in the mixing tin. Dump the ice, and pour the mixture into the glass. Slowly pour in the Chambord and it should create a layer effect. Blue drink with a purple bottom. Yum!!!

I have a drink I would love to submit in the competition but I am in my mid-30's, I don't have a smokin' body (sadly I'm average), and while I have a bubbly personality, I think I'd shy up in front of a crowd.

The drink? An Undercurrent. Anyone ever try one of these bad boys? I'm surprised at how many bartenders aren't familiar with it. They're quite tasty! :p

1/2 oz Sweet & Sour Mix

1/4 oz Sugar Syrup

Mix everything except the Chambord in the mixing tin. Dump the ice, and pour the mixture into the glass. Slowly pour in the Chambord and it should create a layer effect. Blue drink with a purple bottom. Yum!!!

That sounds like a great drink. I just copied the recipe and will try to make it at home. You should enter and don't worry about the smokin body. She just happened to work the crowd and when she would shake her drink she would work it...... know what I mean? The crowd started cheering because of this but ultimately there is the bartender from Carnival and I'm sure he/she has a lot of input too. So go for it...

1/2 oz Sweet & Sour Mix

1/4 oz Sugar Syrup

Hey, I may steal that! :)

Here is a list of what you have to choose from. You use one from each catagory only and no soda pop.

#1-- Rum- Tequila or Vodka

#2-- Melon Liquor, Peach Schnapps, Blackberry Brandy, Aricot Brandy, Rasberry Liqueur, Creme de Banana, Creme de Cacao, Creme de Menthe, Butterscotch Schnapps, Blue Curacao and Triple Sec

#3-- Cranberry Juice, Pineapple Juice, OJ, Sweet & Sour Mix, Pina Colada Mix, Strawberry Daquari Mix and Banana Daquari Mix.

I entered on our recent Splendor cruise. You are allowed two (2) total shots. I was able to use 1/2 a shot of light rum, tequila, vodka & blue curacao. It may depend on the entertainment person that is in charge of the contest but Ryan was cool and let me use all of them.

You get to drink your drink once you are done with the contest too. Only a little from the shaker is poured into the judges glasses for tasting.

Have fun!!! I did!

I was just in the competition on March 5th Liberty Sailing....we werent alowed to use flavored rums or vodkas. They told me that mostly Frozen drinks win. Of course out of all of us one drink was frozen and they won. I came in second. Its a lot of fun! be ready to fill out your form for it during the sail away party cause if you wait they probably have picked the contestants already.

Maybe each ship does it slightly different. On the Legend in '09 there were four judges. One was the R rated comedian. They had a paper & pen scored from 1-5 points based on taste, appearance, and creativity. It had nothing to do with the person's looks or working the crowd.

they told us it was more how we worked the crowd than the drink. and i believe it was 1-10 points. Maybe it is differnt between all the ships. Our judges were the ACD, Bar Manager and some random guest.

Last March on the Triumph, I entered the contest. Only myself and 1 other guy entered when you were supposed to on this first sea day. They randomly picked three more right at the start of the event.

As one poster said, you could only have:

Rum, Tequila, or Vodka

Some other liquor like Blue Curacao

Juice or Sprite

They said NO Caffeine, NO redbull, NO stuff that might have allergy implications.

My drink was a Carribbean Sea - Rum, Blue Curacao, and Sprite - the judges decided it was not strong enough; it needed more alcohol.

The winner was an El Gringo - Vodka and Sour Apple pucker with Pineapple juice. THe guy that made it weighed about 350 lbs. and was dripping with sweat, so don't worry that you have to be hot to win. I don't think this drink was popular with the passengers and we never saw anyone order one.

We were only allowed 1 shot of the main liquor and 1 shot of the secondary liquor, but here's a tip I wish I had known - As you drop the shot into the shaker, continue to pour extra liquor into the shaker. The others did this, and I think since I followed the rules, it made my drink weak.

I am going to try again when we sail the Triumph Monday, March 28th. This time I'll cheat on extra alcohol:), and I'll make it frozen:) instead of on the rocks. Since I am a 40 something guy, I don't think I'll try wearing a small bikini to impress the crowd.:eek:

Even if you don't win, you get to keep the rest of the drink you made, and I got two bar credits and a Carnival drink recipe book.

I was just in the competition on March 5th Liberty Sailing....we werent alowed to use flavored rums or vodkas. They told me that mostly Frozen drinks win. Of course out of all of us one drink was frozen and they won. I came in second. Its a lot of fun! be ready to fill out your form for it during the sail away party cause if you wait they probably have picked the contestants already.

You sign up at the Sailaway Party?

So you can win with a crappy tasting drink as long as you shake your booty? :confused:

You'd think Carnival would want the best tasting one to win since they're promoting it during the week.

It was just an observation of what we saw during the competition on our ship. The girl was in a bikini and yes she was working the crowd, but there were judges and I'm sure it all boiled down to their opinion. Also, just want to add that Carnival wants for the crowd to get all worked up, the asst CD was encouraging it and egging the crowd to cheer the contestants on. Can you imagine how boring it would be for everyone to stand there perfectly still and announce their entry in monotone. The more the crowd gets worked up, and stays to watch the contest will translate into more drink sales etc...

Also, on another note, the Hairy Chest Contest had nothing to do with having a hairy chest. I'm not implying the rules are the same for this contest but just want to illustrate the fact that those fellas were sure as heck working that crowd and when they gave them the little-horses-on-a-stick it was really kinda rated R as far as the gyrations these swim suit clad men were doing. It wasn't vulgar, just really funny and the Lido deck was packed with passengers cheering the contestants on. It's just part of the experience and from what we saw Carnival wants a lively crowd.

Oh hm, there goes my fiancé's entry! He wanted to make something similar to a Mongolian, which has vodka, gin, tequila, 2 types of rum and a few other liquors/liqeurs and a couple splashes of juice... I guess they won't allow this, though. He had a really cute name for it, too! Oh, well :rolleyes:

My friend entered the contest on a New Years cruise and he came in second. His drink tasted the best and he was by far the best showman hands down. What we figured out, and later were told, was that the drink that costs the least to make will win. That's exactly what happened in that contest. But, we still had fun. We're both going to enter on our next Legend cruise.

Archived