Best restaurants on Riveria??

Dunner

We usually eat in the main dining-room on cruises (never been on an Oceania cruse) but our friends prefer the specialty restaurants sooo in your opinion what are your favourite specialty restaurants on the Riveria?

Jacques, Toscana, MDR, (Red Ginger, Polo)

Red Ginger and Polo are close tied.

That said, they are all good.

You will see from other replies a very different order. YMWV.

But remember unlike other lines you maybe cruise, you will have a seating in each of the Specialties so you will be able to make up your own mind.

I agree with the ranking of Jacques first although many posters prefer Red Ginger. If you like "Asian Fusion" you might agree.

But all are good ...

On the "R" ships we were recently on Sirena which has the combo Polo/Toscana restaurant (which didn't meet with our approval just because we don't agree with the selections that remain from both restaurants) but our mind did change about the value of Red Ginger.

Previously we had ranked it last, mostly because we prefer the hotter cuisines and aren't much into Asian Fusion. But we now agree that RG does give you a good evening. (And when a friend celebrated his birthday they did a MUCH better "happy birthday" rendition than we've seen on any of the other ships. Complete with hand-clapping. It was very charming.

OP, bear in mind that the restaurants are pretty much the same across the various ships. If you like Polo on one, you should like it on another.

All you can do is try them and see what YOU like.

Mura

Jacques, Toscana, MDR, (Red Ginger, Polo)

Red Ginger and Polo are close tied.

That said, they are all good.

You will see from other replies a very different order. YMWV.

But remember unlike other lines you maybe cruise, you will have a seating in each of the Specialties so you will be able to make up your own mind.

Guaranteed "a (one) seating" at each restaurant at a time selected XX days before you cruise. Once onboard, you can eat in specialties every night if there's space available when you check each morning.

Our favorite is Toscana followed by Jaques. Red Ginger has improved significantly over the past year. Polo is fine - probably the best steakhouse at sea. But, it is just a steakhouse and, IMO, not very exciting.

As for the MDR, we actually prefer the Terrace Grill.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Polo is fine - probably the best steakhouse at sea. But, it is just a steakhouse and, IMO, not very exciting.

I don't have a problem with your preferences - to each their own.

I only question your simplified definition of Polo. My usual selections in Polo are:

Jumbo shrimp trio

Crab cakes

Steamed lobster

No steaks involved - thus not "just a steakhouse" for me. More like a nice seafood restaurant :D

I too prefer Terrace Cafe to MDR.

Edited by Paulchili

We like Jacques, Red Ginger then the Terrace. On a B2B had 2 in all the specialties, but ended up canceling our seconds in Toscana and Polo, just didn't impress us much. MDR is good, we just wanted to be more casual and loved the Florida Lobster Tails, Lamb Chops Sushi and everything else in Terrace, not to mention each nights MDR main course also served in the Terrace, as well as dining under the stars.

We usually eat in the main dining-room on cruises (never been on an Oceania cruse) but our friends prefer the specialty restaurants sooo in your opinion what are your favourite specialty restaurants on the Riveria?

Will you be booking PH or higher category? If so, figuring out your favorite restaurant is useful. Cruise in those categories and you'll be able to eat from the specialties every night. Some of those nights, you'll eat in the restaurant; other nights you could be served in your room. Combined you could make a substantial dent in the menu of your favorite.

However, in-room eating from the specialties isn't an option for Concierge-level and lower-level cruisers rooms .

All cruisers will be guaranteed a specific number of reservations depending on your category and the length of the cruise. With the exception of La Reserve, you can't buy extra meals in the specialties on Oceania.

Incidentally for cruisers in Concierge-level and below, getting extra meals in the specialties is possible, but it depends on luck and persistence. Cruisers can show up at the maitre d's station very early in the morning or get wait listed and hope for an opening.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Depends on what you like to eat which one will suit your tastes

There is something for even Mr Picky in all of the dining venues well maybe not La Reserve ;)

Toscana -any pasta dish, Veal Limone, dessert

Polo -lamb, crab cakes, dessert

Red Ginger - Green curry dish, dessert, special tea

Jacques - pumpkin soup- dessert

see a theme here :D

We're so glad to hear you say this. We've always felt this way but have felt that the majority of posters seemed to be ga-ga over RG, which we were not.

Jacques remains our favorite ... but we're not really delighted with turning lunch time in the GDR on the "R" ships into a Jacques menu. I'd rather have more Jacques options at dinner.

It WAS good that each day on Sirena last month (which has the lunchtime at Jacques menu) there were daily specials as well as the set menu. But whereas in the past we normally would have lunch in the GDR on sea days, or if we were back in time from a tour, we won't do so as much with the limited Jacques menu on the "R" ships. Not that we won't go ...just won't do so routinely.

On those days we'll go to Terrace or Waves.

Mura

Guaranteed "a (one) seating" at each restaurant at a time selected XX days before you cruise. Once onboard, you can eat in specialties every night if there's space available when you check each morning.

Our favorite is Toscana followed by Jaques. Red Ginger has improved significantly over the past year. Polo is fine - probably the best steakhouse at sea. But, it is just a steakhouse and, IMO, not very exciting.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post; perhaps to add the bit about getting extra seating? My point was only that they will have the opportunity to try them all; there are no concerns to choose.

I'm glad to read your comment that RG has improved. I hope there us a little more 'life' to the dishes. DW lists RG ahead Polo by a larger margin than I do. I'm looking forward to an improved RG then. Though I naturally always agree with her good taste, now might be able to with more conviction.

Thanks for everyone's input! We aren't in a PH. We are in the B1 category.

It was also helpful to see what foods people liked the best---I guess my post should have read --rate the restaurants in order of your preference and list your favourite foods at each of them.

I thought I read somewhere that in one of the restaurants you have to pay for your meals--is that correct --if so which one was it?

Edited by Dunner

It was also helpful to see what foods people liked the best---I guess my post should have read --rate the restaurants in order of your preference and list your favourite foods at each of them.

OK :D

Jacques - foie gras (both hot & cold), crab salad, lobster thermidor, Iberico pork

Polo - giant shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, steamed lobster, prime rib

RG - Calamari tempura, spicy shrimp, lobster pad thai

Toscana - breaded veal

Terrace - lobster tails

Bon appetit! Pavlov was right - I am salivating :)

Edited by Paulchili

I thought I read somewhere that in one of the restaurants you have to pay for your meals--is that correct --if so which one was it?

Technically no, though it might appear that way.

There are two venues were there is a charge.

1. Privee. There ia charge for the private dining room. Eight is preferred but can seat ten. Order from Toscano or Polo menu. Personalized service. $250 for the room.

2. La Reserve. a small dining room set aside for a fabulous multi-course evening with wines paried by Wine Spectator. Techincally the cost is for the wines, not the very special meals with attentive service from waiters, sommeliar and chefs in the room preparing the final plating. See menus on-line, two menus at $95, one at $165

Jacques - foie gras (both hot & cold), crab salad, lobster thermidor, Iberico pork

Toscana - breaded veal

Terrace - lobster tails

Now cut that out! I can hear the bell ringing myself

Being as you enjoy that wonderful crab salad check this out. But don't tell anyone in case they start going through too much and it is removed.

Twice now (albeit not recently) on embarkation day in Terrace they have had this crab salad with other cold salad-type items. its not wrapped up and so artfully presented as at Jaques but very tasty. Get a scoop of that and right nearby are the so good, ever so slightly marinted beets diced into tiny perfect cubes with just a hint of caraway. (if you dont enjoy caraway still try this) It is a fabulous combination. A piece of their artisan bread, a glass of wine, dining out on deck ....

Now cut that out! I can hear the bell ringing myself

Being as you enjoy that wonderful crab salad check this out. But don't tell anyone in case they start going through too much and it is removed.

Twice now (albeit not recently) on embarkation day in Terrace they have had this crab salad with other cold salad-type items. its not wrapped up and so artfully presented as at Jaques but very tasty. Get a scoop of that and right nearby are the so good, ever so slightly marinted beets diced into tiny perfect cubes with just a hint of caraway. (if you dont enjoy caraway still try this) It is a fabulous combination. A piece of their artisan bread, a glass of wine, dining out on deck ....

Yes - and often they have the crab salad with avocado.

What I really miss though is the lobster salad they used to have in the Terrace with large chunks of lobster.

Haven't seeen it on the last several cruises :(

Toscana - breaded veal

Terrace - lobster tails

Not that I needed another reason but man I am excited for my first Oceania cruise in February!

-thanks to everyone

-got my list started with lots of yummy must do foods

-feel free to add more if you think of something else

Jacques seems to be many people's favourite. I will make sure I try it first if I can.

I am envisioning that the specialty restaurants are on the quieter more formal side. I usually enjoy a more active setting. Are there any restaurants on the Riveria that meet that criteria?

[quote name=Dunner;

I am envisioning that the specialty restaurants are on the quieter more formal side.

They are a bit quieter (and a bit more formal but not as in formal attire) - mostly because they are smaller.

I usually enjoy a more active setting. Are there any restaurants on the Riveria that meet that criteria?

You missed your chance :D There was a description of a mother a while ago setting up a table with baloons in Jacques for a birthday for a 3? year old. The kid wound up running around in circles around the table -probably because the foie gras was too well done for him :D

I hope that is not what you had in mind because most of us don't want to see that again. Also' date=' don't expect a Baked Alaska parade with swinging napkins and singing either :D

[/color']

Se my replies above in red

Edited by Paulchili

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "active" restaurants! But I'm guessing there aren't any on Riviera that meet the description ... So far we've only been on Marina but since it's pretty much the same ship, they aren't very different.

But none of the restaurants are staid or stuffy ... just rather elegant with pleasant surroundings.

Mura

Paulchili, I was on that cruise, sitting right next to that "party" in Jacques, and it was not fun. The Maitre'd was running around apologizing to all the other tables, but there was nothing he could do. Two kids, total, on that cruise and they definitely left their imprint.

OP, we love the sea bass wrapped in a banana leaf in RG. We also love the Pupu platter in RG.

In Jaques, well, let's just say we love Jacques buns. Warm, fresh, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Other favorites include Escalope de Fois Gras, Cream of Pumpkin Soup, Dover Sole and the Lobster.

Paulchili, I was on that cruise, sitting right next to that "party" in Jacques, and it was not fun. The Maitre'd was running around apologizing to all the other tables, but there was nothing he could do. Two kids, total, on that cruise and they definitely left their imprint.

I hope I did not leave you with the impression that I thought it was fun.

Quite to the contrary - I think it would be very upsetting for me to be there.

That is why I said "most of don't want to see that again".