South Pacific

CanEcosse

I am intrigued by south pacific cruises such as Supreme South Pacific (Nov 2017) but I wonder if it is just the exotic locale and names that are attracting me. For someone who doesn't plan to snorkel or swim, is there enough to see and do or does one island start to look like every other after a few days?

I am intrigued by south pacific cruises such as Supreme South Pacific (Nov 2017) but I wonder if it is just the exotic locale and names that are attracting me. For someone who doesn't plan to snorkel or swim, is there enough to see and do or does one island start to look like every other after a few days?

This cruise is basically a partial trans-Pacific including atolls/islands that are far more beautiful and, IMO, culturally richer that most locations in the Carribean. Beyond unequalled snorkeling/diving, you can immerse yourself in an education of art, dance, history and native religion (just to name a few). Admittedly while Tahiti is beautiful, the port town of Papeete is just that - a port -quite industrial. Suva Fiji and surroundings are very interesting. And, New Zealand at the other end easily makes up for Papeete.

If you've got more time (and money), look at the grand voyage in mid-2018 from Sydney to NZ to Polynesia to Hawaii and then "home" to LA (38 days)- a proper TransPacific cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

and always wanted to go to the South Pacific. I know that monsoon season is January and February, but honestly the ships are not there at the best time of the year. We tried last year to avoid that and went in March. It was very, very hot with very very much humidity. I don't mind it, but DH did. I got my mind satisfied on the SP. The islands are so very beautiful, but there is absolutely nothing, nothing to see or do. At the end was French Polynesia. This was our fourth time there. It is soo wonderful. The truth is, if you want to see it, go. The truth is, the best month of the year is October. Bora Bora and Tahiti are great.

We're retrieving the trip we cancelled this past winter and have rebooked for the 2017 April and May cruises. We love the SoPac, most especially NZ and Tahiti. We're breaking the bank and doing the AKL-PPT and then the PPT-LA cruises in 2017.

The hurricane risk will be less but we could still experience unsettled weather. Almost the same cost for the 2 of us as BIZ Class airline tickets...and so much more fun.

It will be cold on the Hawaii-LA leg but we figure we'll be snug in our cabin and in Horizons or Martinis.

The price jumps up in 2018.

You will see other threads on this point but if you really want to immerse yourself in the fabulous South Pacific, sail on the Paul Gauguin. Nothing else comes close to that experience and they sail year round

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree for 3 reasons....

1 The Paul Gaugin runs short slam bam this is Tahiti mam 7 day 10 day in and out and takes you to the standard stops . fly in fly our zoom hello/goodby thanks for the dough...18 to 24 hours of flying for 7 days no...not me

2. The ship while small dosent have many options other than great water sports aft...cultural dance troupe...Bora and Tahiti are over the top commercial operations....beautiful.

3. There is more, way more to the south pacific than Tahiti... and Paul gaugin dosent reall offer that except maybe 1 or 2 trips a year.

I have been 5 now going on 6 times I always make it so I fly only 1 way not rt Like LA to PPT by sea PPT to LA air Or LA to Sydney via air or sea and come back via sea.

Other than Tahiti and maybe Fiji there are not a lot of services or chances to connect with culture. In my opinion the sights are stunning but unless you take in the underwater sights your getting short changed big time Suva is a bad nasty port for crime... Nandi better Compared to Hawaii and Carribe ther are slim to none tour operations or facilities...its "unspoiled nature beautiful but raw.

Best weather I have seen April-May October-November earily Dec However I am going in Jan.... because its my birthday.. By the way they dont have hurricanes south of the equator....they are cyclones

Edited by Hawaiidan

They do 14 day cruises and I recommend staying on Moore a or bora bora pre or post cruise We found amazing private guides and superb cultural experiences PG has no equal IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

and always wanted to go to the South Pacific. I know that monsoon season is January and February, but honestly the ships are not there at the best time of the year. ... Bora Bora and Tahiti are great.

Choose a ship that stays year round. I know of the Aranui 5 and the Paul Gauguin, but Windstar might be there as well. I am not up to date on them. And like somebody wrote, the islands of French Polynesia are more spectacular than Caribbean islands. I don't snorkel and swim little, there is more to see and to do.

Edited by Floridiana

Your missing the Tuamotu, Cooks, New Caladonia, Vanatu, Pago Pago, Samoa, iand 2 Fiji islands + Yasaawa There is way more WAY MORE that Tahiti Autiki in the cooks a non commercial Bora Bora,

Anaru is a freighter, Ships that stay totaly in French Polynesia are , well in a rut.... like the Carribe...

If your going to spend the $$$ spend the time see the whole region....discovering Tahiti by arriving and departing in a aluminium tube at midnight deprives the traveler of so much.... discovery by sea and anticipating each new discovery/port is priceless.

The real south pacific is not just Tahiti... its the tip of the iceberg

Hawaiian's dismissal of the Paul Gaugin as a "slam bam this is Tahiti mam" experience that will leave cruisers "short changed big time" is both unmerited and inaccurate. We've sailed aboard PG to:

Fatu Hiva, Hiva Oa, Ua Huka & Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas Islands;

Rarotonga & Aitutaki in the Cook Islands;

Vava'u in the Kingdom of Tonga;

Savu Savu, Suva and Lautoka in the Fiji Islands;

and Tubuai in the Austral Islands.

Next June, we will sail aboard Paul Gaugin from Bali to Fiji with 8 intervening stops including a couple of WWII sites where Allied service personnel spent plenty of time in harm's way.

True, the PG does not sail these itineraries often, but she isn't built to be a deep-ocean cruiser like the R ships (twice as many pax as PG) or the O ships (nearly four times as many). PG does just fine as a 7-10 day introduction to a part of the world most of us would never see otherwise because of the distance and the expense of getting there.

Caroldoll reports, "The islands are so very beautiful, but there is absolutely nothing, nothing to see or do." Perhaps not for her -- I've no idea of what she was looking for -- but many thousands of PG cruisers seem to disagree. There must be some reason why PG won this year's Travel & Leisure #1 Mid-size Ocean Cruise Line award, among many others. (http://www.pgcruises.com/accolades)

The PG tends to attract a younger, possibly more adventurous and physically fit, demographic than Oceania. Water sports? Great, we're up for it and we can still do it! Not a lot of services on the islands except for Tahiti and Bora Bora? That suits many of us just fine. More services require more crowds in order to survive.

"Not a lot of...chances to connect with culture." Hmmmm. Anthropologist Mark Eddowes sails aboard most itineraries, provides frequent lectures and leads many ship's excursions centered around precisely that: local culture.

Those of us who don't enjoy diving or organized touring can walk for miles enjoying Hawaiidan's "unspoiled nature, beautiful but raw," occasionally picking and eating fruit right off the trees, without fighting traffic or tip-toeing fearfully through a seedy port district. It's a great way to spend a day.

This is not to say that the Paul Gaugin is superior to Oceania in the South Pacific, but neither is it inferior as implied above. It's simply a different cruising experience and worth consideration by those whose priorities, preferences and willingness to try something new may differ from other O cruisers.

Hawaiian's dismissal of the Paul Gauguin as a "slam bam this is Tahiti mam" experience that will leave cruisers "short changed big time" is both unmerited and inaccurate.

It appears that Hawaiidan has never sailed on the Paul Gauguin. We fail to see how he can make what he feels are accurate comments comparing something he has not experienced.

Hawaiian's dismissal of the Paul Gaugin as a "slam bam this is Tahiti mam" experience that will leave cruisers "short changed big time" is both unmerited and inaccurate. We've sailed aboard PG to:

Fatu Hiva, Hiva Oa, Ua Huka & Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas Islands;

Rarotonga & Aitutaki in the Cook Islands;

Vava'u in the Kingdom of Tonga;

Savu Savu, Suva and Lautoka in the Fiji Islands;

and Tubuai in the Austral Islands.

Next June, we will sail aboard Paul Gaugin from Bali to Fiji with 8 intervening stops including a couple of WWII sites where Allied service personnel spent plenty of time in harm's way.

True, the PG does not sail these itineraries often, but she isn't built to be a deep-ocean cruiser like the R ships (twice as many pax as PG) or the O ships (nearly four times as many). PG does just fine as a 7-10 day introduction to a part of the world most of us would never see otherwise because of the distance and the expense of getting there.

Caroldoll reports, "The islands are so very beautiful, but there is absolutely nothing, nothing to see or do." Perhaps not for her -- I've no idea of what she was looking for -- but many thousands of PG cruisers seem to disagree. There must be some reason why PG won this year's Travel & Leisure #1 Mid-size Ocean Cruise Line award, among many others. (http://www.pgcruises.com/accolades)

The PG tends to attract a younger, possibly more adventurous and physically fit, demographic than Oceania. Water sports? Great, we're up for it and we can still do it! Not a lot of services on the islands except for Tahiti and Bora Bora? That suits many of us just fine. More services require more crowds in order to survive.

"Not a lot of...chances to connect with culture." Hmmmm. Anthropologist Mark Eddowes sails aboard most itineraries, provides frequent lectures and leads many ship's excursions centered around precisely that: local culture.

Those of us who don't enjoy diving or organized touring can walk for miles enjoying Hawaiidan's "unspoiled nature, beautiful but raw," occasionally picking and eating fruit right off the trees, without fighting traffic or tip-toeing fearfully through a seedy port district. It's a great way to spend a day.

This is not to say that the Paul Gaugin is superior to Oceania in the South Pacific, but neither is it inferior as implied above. It's simply a different cruising experience and worth consideration by those whose priorities, preferences and willingness to try something new may differ from other O cruisers.

I agree totally. We were on the Marina and it was a great trip but the ship is too large for this area. The Marquesas are beautiful. If we return we will go on the PG for their trips that are longer than 7 days and head to the Marquesas and other French Polynesia islands other than Tahiti and Bora Bora.

Edited by TERRIER1

It appears that Hawaiidan has never sailed on the Paul Gauguin. We fail to see how he can make what he feels are accurate comments comparing something he has not experienced.

He seems to do that a lot. Not always. Too bad as some of his posts are very good. Can't know about everything even though he thinks he does.

My comment is NOT directed against Dan, but the recent posts remind me of a t-shirt on sale at Cafe Press that I just saw advertised.

DON'T YOU THINK IF I WERE WRONG I'D KNOW?

That applies to many people, not to mention politicians ...

I think all of us, myself included, have been wrong before when we thought we knew the answer ... And sometimes we are just guessing.

Mura

I am active and I love to scuba. That is beautiful there. I also love to walk on the beach, but hate having to wear beach shoes. I meant not a lot of cultural things, in my opinion.

I too recommend Gaugain. We have done that twice and it is nothing short of wonderful. They do one or two long cruises a year. Those are the ones to get.

Even though the ship is getting old they have many more interesting cultural things that you can do.

Not unexpected this has become a "PG vs" thread, with a little time out to comment on a poster.

The OP asked "For someone who doesn't plan to snorkel or swim, is there enough to see and do or does one island start to look like every other after a few days"

I've not yet been but I understand the OP's concern of yet another church, island or beach type experience. Especially considering the cost, and as Hawaiidan often comments on, long flights at less than optimal times to (I've read reviews) Papeete.

So from those experienced, whether PG or O or even Princess(!), what do you think in reply to their question?

Perhaps writing this reply I've answered and the question would be best asked on the Ports of Call Board. You'll still get cruise line recommendations but might get a few more specifics of why to go if you don't swim.

Edited by YoHoHo

Mark eddowes is the best shipboard lecturer we have ever experienced

Your post is spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to agree, most engaging ship lecturer I've ever heard. They are lucky to have him. We also took a couple of tours that he led.

There are pros and cons to the PG, but I'd rather be on an Oceania ship personally. Of course I was on it back when Regent ran it before Regent was under current management. Perhaps it's better now.

I do have to say it might possibly have been the worst food of any cruise ship I've ever been on, and I've been on Costa and Carnival. Lets hope it's better now.

My comment is NOT directed against Dan, but the recent posts remind me of a t-shirt on sale at Cafe Press that I just saw advertised.

I think all of us, myself included, have been wrong before when we thought we knew the answer ... And sometimes we are just guessing.

Mura

That goes along with this sentiment.

"I never argue, I just explain why I'm right."

or

"It's okay to disagree with me, I can't force you to be right."

I love those funny shirts, I just wouldn't wear one.

Edited by ORV

I have had the opportunity to visit on board the

Paul Gaugin several times as a guest... even back when she was a Seven Seas Regent group ship . I was not excited except by the water sport stern.I also did not enjoy the sort of faux ambiance of france meets the south pacific...It did not work for me,

While I havent been on her in her latest configuration and schedule, It is my personal feeling that discovering any island group should be done by sea and the discovery is priceless. This applies to HAL, Regent, Oceaina and Gaugin, Windstar, Celeb, Princess,...

I also hate the schedules and the hassel of long mostly red eye flights into an out of Tahiti...hence my opinion

Too I lived for over a decade in the region and felt the short 7-10 day...this is Tahiti shows were rushed . This I apply to ANY ship doing the same schedule...its a rush job to me flying in and in a few days flying out.

Glad the gaugin has some good on board talks... that is relative new as it their once or twice a year cruise to FIJI But the fact remains the shore development in the region is not great... But that is not a bad thing. Like Carol said there really are not a lot of things, organized things to do, and many of the cultures you might meet are not all that happy welcome you. Tonga comes to mind...where the culture really dosent want visitors all that much.... On the surface is not the reality.

So thats why I dont care for the short runs by anybody to the region....you can disagree all you want.... but you need to know why I think the way I do.

And I am in the group that also thinks Maui and Honolulu are total abstracts of southern Californians idea of what Hawaii should be like... Redondo, Santa Monica and Huntington beach with pineapples

Edited by Hawaiidan

I have had the opportunity to visit on board the

Paul Gaugin several times as a guest... even back when she was a Seven Seas Regent group ship . I was not excited except by the water sport stern.I also did not enjoy the sort of faux ambiance of france meets the south pacific...It did not work for me,

While I havent been on her in her latest configuration and schedule, It is my personal feeling that discovering any island group should be done by sea and the discovery is priceless. This applies to HAL, Regent, Oceaina and Gaugin, Windstar, Celeb, Princess,...

I also hate the schedules and the hassel of long mostly red eye flights into an out of Tahiti...hence my opinion

Too I lived for over a decade in the region and felt the short 7-10 day...this is Tahiti shows were rushed . This I apply to ANY ship doing the same schedule...its a rush job to me flying in and in a few days flying out.

Glad the gaugin has some good on board talks... that is relative new as it their once or twice a year cruise to FIJI But the fact remains the shore development in the region is not great... But that is not a bad thing. Like Carol said there really are not a lot of things, organized things to do, and many of the cultures you might meet are not all that happy welcome you. Tonga comes to mind...where the culture really dosent want visitors all that much.... On the surface is not the reality.

So thats why I dont care for the short runs by anybody to the region....you can disagree all you want.... but you need to know why I think the way I do.

Mura

Quite right. We get a lot of good info from these boards! Just have to filter it out. Some of us are just wrong more than most others.

For 2017 I really tried to work out flights etc for a cruise either from or to Papetee and ended up abandoning this as such a complicated and expensive option. I booked another bucket list option Auckland to Bali which did involve the longest flights ever for us to start with and luckily a shorter return flight.

However the south seas still appeals and am once again trying for 2018 with the following options.

1) Insignia or Marina (which we love) Papetee Los Angeles which involves 5 sea days with probably/possibly cold bad weather and of course starting with flights to PPT.

2) Insignia Sydney to PPT long flights both ways, the full Transpacific suggested by Hawaiidan is too long (still working)

3) Regatta Bali to Honolulu best flight options, longest most expensive cruise does not actually visit BB or PPT but maybe the other ports are similar or even better.

There are other trans options the cheapest being HAL Nordam but they all have the same 5 sea days at the end.

I know the final decision will have to be mine and we will only consider any of the above after experiencing the long flights in February but I thought I would like to pick your brains on this anyway.

For 2017 I really tried to work out flights etc for a cruise either from or to Papetee and ended up abandoning this as such a complicated and expensive option. I booked another bucket list option Auckland to Bali which did involve the longest flights ever for us to start with and luckily a shorter return flight.

However the south seas still appeals and am once again trying for 2018 with the following options.

1) Insignia or Marina (which we love) Papetee Los Angeles which involves 5 sea days with probably/possibly cold bad weather and of course starting with flights to PPT.

2) Insignia Sydney to PPT long flights both ways, the full Transpacific suggested by Hawaiidan is too long (still working)

3) Regatta Bali to Honolulu best flight options, longest most expensive cruise does not actually visit BB or PPT but maybe the other ports are similar or even better.

There are other trans options the cheapest being HAL Nordam but they all have the same 5 sea days at the end.

I know the final decision will have to be mine and we will only consider any of the above after experiencing the long flights in February but I thought I would like to pick your brains on this anyway.

The South Pacific is a big place so there is no getting around long flights ans lots of sea days between ports. We took a 10 day Tahiti RT on Marina that focused on French Polynesia and one of the islands in the Marquesas. The trip was lovely. Papeete is a commercial port and the real beauty of these islands are in the outer islands. Many of Oceania South Pacific voyages that end in Tahiti only stop at Bora Bora. If your focus is French Polynesia I would select another trip.

We also took a 32 day trip that went from Sydney to Papeete. The second 16 day leg stopped at many of the ports that are also included in your potential cruises such as Noumea, Fiji, etc. I was originally pretty excited to visit these islands but they left me flat. Porting times made it difficult to arrange many of the private tours that interested us and you really needed to get out of the port to experience these islands. There were also a lot of sea days to get from one area to another.

Your cruise in 2017 looks great but you may not want to revisit some of those ports again in 2018. Also, the Papetti to LA trip on the Marina has 10 sea days out of 18 but you get to visit Rangiroa, Nuku Hiva and Hawaii. The Bali trip on Regatta has 15 sea days out of 29. If you enjoy a lot of sea days this is great but you may want to be on the larger Marina with more dining variety and space.

No matter what you choose, enjoy your holiday. It looks like a spectacular adventure.