New to SD Questions

Mrswood83

Hello to all SD lovers. I have been researching and reading through all the threads here on CC and I think I still have a few questions. I am sorry if they have been asked before. Let's start off with some background info. This trip would be my mother (60's) and myself (27 at the time- it would be a bday cruise!!). Neither of us are new to cruising, however the yacht experience would be something new and something I have been dreaming about over the last year or two. Currently we have a suite booked on NCL in February, but we are now looking into switching it over to SD for a Caribbean sailing in March. My questions are:

1) My mother has some difficulty getting around. Does anyone have any problems getting either around the yacht or getting on and off the yacht?

2) Does the yacht typically drop anchor instead of docking at a port? If so, is the tender always a zodiac? Is this difficult to get on/off? Does the zodiac drop you off right on the beach, or at a dock, or does it vary?

3) I have read where there is wifi on board. Is this included or do you pay for packages or pay as you go?

4) Has anyone ever traveled with a third person in their room? Do you happen to know how much the third person rate is?

Any other must know advice or tips is greatly appreciated as well!!!! Thank you in advance for all of your help:) Please help me convince my mom it is worth doing and put her fears aside!

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. We sailed with my Mother in Law for her 80th Birthday in Italy. She was accompanied by her 90 year old boyfriend. They were cared for very well by the crew and had no issues getting around. The crew is expert in assisting passengers on and off the ship carefully. There is a lift to all decks except the Top of the Yacht Bar. That is one flight up from the outdoor dining area.

2. It depends on the itinerary. In my experience, in Europe there is more docking. In the Caribbean more anchoring. But then, it depends on many things. A Zodiac type inflatable is used for the Beach BBQ and they are direct to beach landings. At most other ports, when anchored, dedicated motor tenders are used and discharge passengers at docks. Again, crew is at both ends to assist passengers with any mobility issues.

3. Unless recently improved, WiFi on board is very hit or miss and VERY slow. It is not included and there are packages or pay as you go.

4. I have never traveled with a third person in the room. SeaDream cabins are very small. Nicely done but very small at 180 sq. ft. Not sure where you would put the third one. Maybe someone else will have that experience for you.

Your Mom should have no fears about sailing with SeaDream. It will be unlike any other cruise she might have taken. It is top of the line in food and service and your fellow passengers will usually be a well traveled gregarious lot. Hard to be a stranger on SeaDream. If you go back through the pages of threads and read some of the reviews you will get much information concerning daily life aboard. You should have a great time with your Mother.:D

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. We sailed with my Mother in Law for her 80th Birthday in Italy. She was accompanied by her 90 year old boyfriend. They were cared for very well by the crew and had no issues getting around. The crew is expert in assisting passengers on and off the ship carefully. There is a lift to all decks except the Top of the Yacht Bar. That is one flight up from the outdoor dining area.

2. It depends on the itinerary. In my experience, in Europe there is more docking. In the Caribbean more anchoring. But then, it depends on many things. A Zodiac type inflatable is used for the Beach BBQ and they are direct to beach landings. At most other ports, when anchored, dedicated motor tenders are used and discharge passengers at docks. Again, crew is at both ends to assist passengers with any mobility issues.

3. Unless recently improved, WiFi on board is very hit or miss and VERY slow. It is not included and there are packages or pay as you go.

4. I have never traveled with a third person in the room. SeaDream cabins are very small. Nicely done but very small at 180 sq. ft. Not sure where you would put the third one. Maybe someone else will have that experience for you.

Your Mom should have no fears about sailing with SeaDream. It will be unlike any other cruise she might have taken. It is top of the line in food and service and your fellow passengers will usually be a well traveled gregarious lot. Hard to be a stranger on SeaDream. If you go back through the pages of threads and read some of the reviews you will get much information concerning daily life aboard. You should have a great time with your Mother.:D

Thank you so much for the quick reply!! That definitely makes me feel a lot better:)

As a renewed SD fan from our voyage earlier this month - our 10th - I'm all about promoting it and sharing it with others as we do here. We've done voyages in Europe but also three in the Caribbean. Agreed the vessel seems to anchor more than docks in the Caribbean, though on our Dubrovnik to Rome trip we anchored a lot. Most of the time the motorized tenders work fine and I agree the crew is very safety conscious. That said, know that the tender is reached from Deck 3 down outside metal stairs over water to essentially about the level of Deck 2 and one has to board the tender from a floating platform. This means it can be tricky in rougher seas. All comes down to the nature of any mobility issues. We see folks in their 70s/80s in good shape do it at all time, but I wanted you to have the full picture to judge for yourself based on your mother's situation. By the way, the same steps/stairs are used when docked as well.

We are new to SD as well and will be sailing on SDI on the Jan 16 sailing from St. Martin to Barbados. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about SD from this forum. We have been veteran HAL cruisers and need to try something different.

Terri

We are new to SD as well and will be sailing on SDI on the Jan 16 sailing from St. Martin to Barbados. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about SD from this forum. We have been veteran HAL cruisers and need to try something different.

Terri

Having sailed HAL as well (and enjoyed it) I can tell you SeaDream is nothing like HAL! I am saying that in a good way and the route you have chosen is going to blow you away. Read these threads and look for reviews and you will answer most of your questions. We are bouncing around several itineraries for this Winter too. :D

Jim is totally correct. We tried Silversea last year to see the Norwegian fjords and returned to SD earlier this month. Even Silversea at 500 not 5000 felt too big for us. SD is the closest you will get to being pampered on your own yacht short of owning a yacht yourself. From crew to cuisine to the marine platform to small ports and beyond you can't beat it! Welcome aboard. Ask questions and the regulars here will gladly respond.

Having sailed HAL as well (and enjoyed it) I can tell you SeaDream is nothing like HAL! I am saying that in a good way and the route you have chosen is going to blow you away. Read these threads and look for reviews and you will answer most of your questions. We are bouncing around several itineraries for this Winter too. :D

Thanks for your reply.

Our last HAL cruise this summer left a lot to be desired as did the last few others we have taken. We are really looking forward to this new adventure. We plan to stay in Barbados for a few days after the cruise as it is our favorite island. We have been going there every spring for the last 34 years.

Terri

Hi Terri, welcome to the SD board!

Since you are a Barbados expert (and don't spend every day when you are there drinking rose'...), any suggestions on "must do's"? We will have two full days there before departure day of a cruise in March. Been lots of places in the Caribbean, but never to Barbados. Staying at the Hilton near the port.

And we are likely to be back there for a day or two in Dec 2016.

We want to snorkel once at Barbados, but have nothing else in mind, as of yet. Have read a bit about the island, the caves, etc.

Thanks!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Hi Terry, welcome to the SD board!

Since you are a Barbados expert (and don't spend every day when you are there drinking rose'...), any suggestions on "must do's"? We will have two full days there before departure day of a cruise in March. Been lots of places in the Caribbean, but never to Barbados. Staying at the Hilton near the port.

We want to snorkel once at Barbados, but have nothing else in mind, as of yet. Have read a bit about the island, the caves, etc.

Thanks!

Do you think they will let you back in December???:eek::D

Hi Terri, welcome to the SD board!

Thanks!

First of all the Hilton is a beautiful property on a lovely beach (Carlisle Bay). The water is calm and very nice for swimming and sunning.

As for a restaurant, very close by (10 minute walk) or a short taxi ride, is Brown Sugar, which serves a wonderful Bajan buffet for lunch and a very nice dinner. I recommend it highly.

If you like Italian food, I also recommend Il Tempio on the West coast. It was a favorite of Luciano Pavarotti and also a favorite of mine. I will definitely be making a stop there on this visit.

A catamaran ride along the west coast and snorkeling with the turtles is nice, I recommend, Silver Moon Catamarans. Small cats and personal service with lunch and unlimited drinks. If you have never been on the Concord, there is an exhibit at the airport of the Concord Experience, which is quite nice. I really enjoyed this.

Barbados makes some of the finest rum in the Caribbean and a tour of the Mt. Gay Rum Factory is another option.

If caves are your thing, you may want to go to the flower cave on the north end of the island in St. Lucy Parish or Harrison's Cave.

You should see the east coast of the island, which is a stark contrast to the west side. it is rugged and rocky and the water very rough.

Another place to visit is the Crane Hotel, the first hotel on the island, which is now a sprawling complex and just beautiful. A great place for lunch.

If you don't mind driving on the left, you may want to rent a car for two days. We will be renting one while we are there.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions I'll be glad to help.

Terri

There are other things to do but with only two days, that is more than enough. I would add that the duty free shopping is better left to another island. Not many bargains here.

As for the Italian Restaurant I mentioned, it is one of the best where I have eaten. I am of Italian heritage. I cook great Italian food. When I eat in an Italian Restaurant it has to be better than what I make at home. Il Tempio fills this desire. The people are from Italy and they know what they are doing. I definitely will be going there for dinner on one of the nights we are there.

One last thing is that you should have flying fish and macaroni pie for lunch one day. That is the national dish. You can easily do that at the Hilton or at any local Rum Shack. The Crane does a good job of that.

Terri

Ragnar, we have also found the Hilton in Barbados to be a very nice property. We are content to just spend the day at their pool. But if you want to go snorkeling, we had a very good experience with Calabassos Sailing Excursions. Maximum of 12 people on the boat and a class operation. They will pick you up at the hotel and bring you back. After many years of snorkeling, it was the first time we saw sea turtles. As for dining, we have had nice dinners at The Cliff and The Tides, but bring lots of money. If you are considering The Cliff, reserve a table now at the rail. Both restaurants are a long cab ride from the hotel, further adding to the cost of dinner. We also enjoyed Brown Sugar, for much less money. And it really is a short walk from the hotel. I do have to disagree with Terri, though, about the beach at the hotel being calm. Red flags were out every day we've been there. (Not that red flags necessarily keep people out of the water.) As Terri notes, the west side of the island is the calm side, and the beach is on the south side, so it tends to get the waves that dominate the east side.

Zimmy's DH

Edited by Zimmy
grammar

Ragnar, we have also found the Hilton in Barbados to be a very nice property. We are content to just spend the day at their pool. But if you want to go snorkeling, we had a very good experience with Calabassos Sailing Excursions. Maximum of 12 people on the boat and a class operation. They will pick you up at the hotel and bring you back. After many years of snorkeling, it was the first time we saw sea turtles. As for dining, we have had nice dinners at The Cliff and The Tides, but bring lots of money. If you are considering The Cliff, reserve a table now at the rail. Both restaurants are a long cab ride from the hotel, further adding to the cost of dinner. We also enjoyed Brown Sugar, for much less money. And it really is a short walk from the hotel. I do have to disagree with Terri, though, about the beach at the hotel being calm. Red flags were out every day we've been there. (Not that red flags necessarily keep people out of the water.) As Terri notes, the west side of the island is the calm side, and the beach is on the south side, so it tends to get the waves that dominate the east side.

Zimmy's DH

The beach at the Hilton is at Carlisle Bay and for the most part when I have been there the water is fairly calm. I have never seen red flags when I was there. It is really at the edge of Bridgetown and just the beginning of the south coast. It is much rougher as you go east along the south coast. We have a timeshare on the Maxwell Coast at the Bougainvillea Resort and I never go in the ocean there because of the waves. That is why we are staying on the west coast for five days after the cruise.

The Cliff is the most expensive restaurant on the island. If that is your thing then go for it. It will easily set you back $300. If it is a special occasion I would book it, but I don't know that it is worth it. We did it for our 25th anniversary and it was lovely.

Calabaza Catamaran is very nice as is Silver Moon. I have been on both. I prefer Silver Moon, which I feel is a better experience. It also only takes a maximum of 12 people and very personalized service. Pickup and dropoff at the hotel.

Terri

I agree, Terri, that The Cliff is nice for a very special occasion. If it were in Chicago, we might have gone there once. You are paying for the experience more than the food. Yeah, it is more expensive than warranted, but isn't starting (or ending, in your case) a SeaDream vacation a special occasion?

As for the beach, I guess it is a matter of what day you are there. Since I much prefer the pool over the beach, the red flags were not unwelcome. (Just for the record, Zimmy disagrees with me on this one.)

And thanks for the recommendation of Silver Moon. We'll try them next time. Its nice to hear from someone who can give a comparative review. What do you feel distinguished them? We particularly liked the on-boat experience. A nice lunch, well served on real dishes. But what about the water experience? Do they go to different sites? Is it more time in the water?

And btw, Terri, welcome to the SeaDream family. Hope you have as lovely a time as we have had in our many sailings.

Zimmy's DH

I agree, Terri, that The Cliff is nice for a very special occasion. If it were in Chicago, we might have gone there once. You are paying for the experience more than the food. Yeah, it is more expensive than warranted, but isn't starting (or ending, in your case) a SeaDream vacation a special occasion?

As for the beach, I guess it is a matter of what day you are there. Since I much prefer the pool over the beach, the red flags were not unwelcome. (Just for the record, Zimmy disagrees with me on this one.)

And thanks for the recommendation of Silver Moon. We'll try them next time. Its nice to hear from someone who can give a comparative review. What do you feel distinguished them? We particularly liked the on-boat experience. A nice lunch, well served on real dishes. But what about the water experience? Do they go to different sites? Is it more time in the water?

And btw, Terri, welcome to the SeaDream family. Hope you have as lovely a time as we have had in our many sailings.

Zimmy's DH

Thanks for the welcome.

Carlysle Bay I guess is a matter of what day you are there. I have been in the water there and this girl does not go in rough water. So it can be calm.

As for the Cliff, having been to Barbados so many times, I would not go to the Cliff for dinner. If I were in Bdos only once, yes, this is something I would do. I agree with you on that one.

As for the cats. I can't put a finger on it. Calabaza is nice and the food good. Silver Moon was just a bit more elegant, more shade, the tables came out when it was time for lunch. Just a bit nicer. They both stop in different places.

Both are good choices. Silver Moon is a bit more expensive. It leaves from a different dock than Calabaza. Calabaza leaves from town. Silver Moon leaves from the old port near the Atlantis. In both cases they pick you up at your hotel. Just a hint. Call and book directly. It will save you money. You save the cut the hotel takes.

Terri

We enjoy the Hilton as well. Have also stayed at Courtyard and Bougainvilla Resort. St Laurence Gap is an interesting part of town with interesting restaurants. Agree on Brown Sugar! And, if you get the chance, the weekly Oistins fish fry is great fun! Lots of booths selling great fish and many other booths selling "stuff".

Vandrefalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Our sailing is on January 16. When can we reasonably expect to receive our cruise documents?

Do they come by mail or are they e-docs?

This is our first SeaDream cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Yes Ma'am!:D We have in the past received a nice folder of documents around a month out. Nowadays my TA, Mr. C from ATL, tells me they are e docs and you don't even get luggage tags till you get to the gangway. The new way. Anyway, Mrs. A calls my collection of nice folders "dust catchers". No appreciation of history.:eek::D

Yes Ma'am!:D We have in the past received a nice folder of documents around a month out. Nowadays my TA, Mr. C from ATL, tells me they are e docs and you don't even get luggage tags till you get to the gangway. The new way. Anyway, Mrs. A calls my collection of nice folders "dust catchers". No appreciation of history.:eek::D

Thank you kindly for your response, Jim. So no nice folder? I'm disappointed. :(

It's less than a month. Haven't heard from SD or TA (Miss M from Seattle) about any docs, e-docs or otherwise.

Guess I will just play the waiting game. I am getting excited. Can't wait to be on my first SD cruise.

Terri