Chemo and cruising?

cicirider

I have been undergoing chemo treatment for cancer since early november. I have been tolerating it fairly well from a nausea standpoint and taking excellent care of myself and have no other health problems. One of the things that i really love to do is travel and my boyfriend surprised me with a trip on Seadream (my all-time favourite cruise ship) Jan 16-23. The timing is perfect because it falls between two of my treatments (i'm starting on Taxol after 6 weeks on AC for those of you in the know) and I really need to get away from my routine and see the sunshine and look at the ocean.

Here's my worry: is the ocean motion going to be very taxing to me? I don't have much nausea but there is always some on chemo. We took one of the last remaining cabins- it is on Deck 3. Should I ask to be somewhere specific on that deck?

Anyone have familiarity with that route (St-Martin to Barbados) that has good tips for me and "the condition my condition is in" (the Big Lebowski).

This will be my first Seadream cruise stone cold sober (quelle shame) but I am guessing plenty of other people have had a lot of fun on board being dry.

What sort of weather should I expect at that time of year in that region? In the past, I have always opted to eat out in the evenings as much as possible. Is it too chilly to do so in January?

As you can see, I am excited but trepidatious and don't want to repay my kind boyfriend by being a terrible cruiser... especially since he has never been on one!

Any input welcome!

Edited by cicirider
none

I have been undergoing chemo treatment for cancer since early november. I have been tolerating it fairly well from a nausea standpoint and taking excellent care of myself and have no other health problems. One of the things that i really love to do is travel and my boyfriend surprised me with a trip on Seadream (my all-time favourite cruise ship) Jan 16-23. The timing is perfect because it falls between two of my treatments (i'm starting on Taxol after 6 weeks on AC for those of you in the know) and I really need to get away from my routine and see the sunshine and look at the ocean.

Here's my worry: is the ocean motion going to be very taxing to me? I don't have much nausea but there is always some on chemo. We took one of the last remaining cabins- it is on Deck 3. Should I ask to be somewhere specific on that deck?

Anyone have familiarity with that route (St-Martin to Barbados) that has good tips for me and "the condition my condition is in" (the Big Lebowski).

This will be my first Seadream cruise stone cold sober (quelle shame) but I am guessing plenty of other people have had a lot of fun on board being dry.

What sort of weather should I expect at that time of year in that region? In the past, I have always opted to eat out in the evenings as much as possible. Is it too chilly to do so in January?

As you can see, I am excited but trepidatious and don't want to repay my kind boyfriend by being a terrible cruiser... especially since he has never been on one!

Any input welcome!

We will be on that sailing as well. We are Terri and Jim. This is our first SD cruise though we are not new to cruising. I too will not be imbibing much due to some recent medical problems. This cruise is an opportunity for me to get a much needed rest.

The weather should be good based on other cruises I have taken in the region during the same time of year. We are staying at the Grand Case Beach Club the night before and spending a few days in Barbados post cruise.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Terri

Any input welcome!

Have not sailed your route but, as a generality, Sea Dream Captains are very good at minimizing the motion of the ocean. I would also recommend checking in with the Ship's Doctor when you embark. He could have some "magic potion" for just your situation. We have travelled with very elderly, infirm, and in one case a cancer patient. All were taken the best of care by the number one crew at sea. You will be fine and have a great time.:D

We were just in the area Dec. 5-12 (St. Martin round trip). Though the weather wasn't perfect - in fact skirted near a storm the first night - except for that one night didn't feel the ocean much at all. Just to be sure I stopped by the Concierge desk and they gave me a couple anti-nausea tablets (I believe scopalomine, I had bonine with me), the bonine worked fine and then no need for any more meds. And it was pretty hot, fine for outdoor dining. As I don't drink, I can attest that the cruise is loads of fun with or without alcohol. As suggested, do check in with the doctor, and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I am not on your cruise (we're on SD I in March), but thought I would respond to your post because I had a similar experience. I took a cruise while on chemo a couple of years ago. It was on a bigger boat, but I didn't have any issues with nausea. By the time of my cruise, I had already finished taxol and was in the middle of AC (sounds like the reverse order ofyour treatment). The good news is that I didn't have any nausea at all while on taxol. It is so much easier than AC. I don't think you will have any problems at all. The most annoying thing is packing all of the various meds that you may or may not need while on the trip. I felt like a walking pharmacy.

Wishing you a very relaxing and restorative trip. And good luck with the rest of your treatments. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer whatever I can.

Any input welcome!

I am a retired physician and have done the route you are taking. Usually not any heavy seas. I would recommend checking with your oncologist and if no contraindication take 25 mg of meclazine nightly starting the night prior to the cruise-- less sedating than other meds and less side effects during the day