Dress Code for One Night Mini Cruise

tring

Am I right in assuming that a one night mini cruise, which goes form one port to another will be smart casual dress code?

I looked this up on Fred's web site as we are booked on a three night cruise and you are right in assuming that the dress code will be smart casual.

I looked this up on Fred's web site as we are booked on a three night cruise and you are right in assuming that the dress code will be smart casual.

Oops - did not realise it would be on there website! Thank you very much for the reply.

Enjoy your mini cruise,

Barbara

we went on a 3 night Fred Olsen mini cruise and the last night was a formal night.

Just goes to show you can't be sure of anything with Fred until you receive your travel documents. Personally I hope there isn't a formal night on our three night mini cruise as we're only doing this cruise as an alternative to a weekend hotel break and don't really want to bothered with too much formality.

We have always know formals on 3 night mini cruises with Fred (it is the one night that made me wonder) usually the middle night as formals not usually held on first or last night of any cruise - have known both happen though.

Fred's formal nights should not be a problem for you as they will accept a normal suite and tie in the main restaurants and the self service restaurants are always available if you prefer smart casual dress. Fred's self service restaurants are quite pleasant - tablecloths on tables which are nicely set with fancy folded Napkins and cutlery, like 4* package hotels. Much better than P&O self service's which look more like cheap cafes IMO.

Dress codes can change though, so who knows.

Edited by tring

We have always know formals on 3 night mini cruises with Fred (it is the one night that made me wonder) usually the middle night as formals not usually held on first or last night of any cruise - have known both happen though.

Fred's formal nights should not be a problem for you as they will accept a normal suite and tie in the main restaurants and the self service restaurants are always available if you prefer smart casual dress. Fred's self service restaurants are quite pleasant - tablecloths on tables which are nicely set with fancy folded Napkins and cutlery, like 4* package hotels. Much better than P&O self service's which look more like cheap cafes IMO.

Dress codes can change though, so who knows.

Thank you for the information Tring but formal nights are not a problem just a bit of a nuisance for a three night cruise. We are doing this cruise to to obtain the one night we require to make us Oceans gold members. I thought it it would be nice to attain gold membership before we take our 2018 cruise on which we will celebrate our golden wedding on my wife's favourite ship. We have cruised on Braemar several times since she joined the Fred Olsen fleet and previously when she was Cunard Dynasty. We like the size of the ship and the Fred Olsen experience. We have cruised with several other lines but always come back to Fred.

Good idea to boost points if you are that near - I was obviously telling you things you knew already then!

We have had some problems with Fred's cabins on recent cruises and we have booked a 33 night on Boudicca (Liverpool to Mauritius) for October. The one night mini, which provoked my question, has been booked in the same cabin on Boudicca to make sure we are happy with it before the longer cruise - also seems a good idea to us. Useful things these mini cruises for all sorts of reasons.

Edited by tring

Good idea to boost points if you are that near - I was obviously telling you things you knew already then!

We have had some problems with Fred's cabins on recent cruises and we have booked a 33 night on Boudicca (Liverpool to Mauritius) for October. The one night mini, which provoked my question, has been booked in the same cabin on Boudicca to make sure we are happy with it before the longer cruise - also seems a good idea to us. Useful things these mini cruises for all sorts of reasons.

I hope your cabin meets all your requirements and you have a wonderful time on your 33 night cruise. We should be happy with our cabins as we have managed to book our second favourite cabin for the 3 night cruise and our favourite cabin for the Golden Wedding cruise. Have you sailed on any of the other Fred Olsen ships? We have only ever sailed on Braemar and have never been tempted to sail on any other of the Fred Olsen ships.

We have travelled on them all. We would not like to re do Black Watch - others OK but nothing special. The other ships are far more stable on the sea - but that is not difficult compared to Braemar as you may well know! We sail for itineraries rather than any particular ship.

Braemar has been by far our most favourite ship because it is newer, has bigger windows and the staff on board seem particularly happy, freindly and efficient., but we were on board in the autumn and there was a lot of very problematic fumes around the ship, to the extent we would not book that ship again. Parts of the ship, including our first cabin, (mid ship deck 6), were uninhabitable. Fred should make sure repairs are done. Some staff are saying it has got worse over last few months - though most seem sworn to secrecy or try to deny the problem! I suggest you complain promptly if you have any problems like that, they will move you if they can, but they seem to be sailing with the ship much fuller this winter. We have not had problems like that on Braemar previously, yet we have been on board for about 2.5 months in total over the last 2.5 years.

We love the Grampian on Braemar, which can be requested if it is still available when you book (I assume you use it too). Balmoral has a couple of upstairs smaller restaurants along the same vein, but the other two ships just have the big restaurants. All Fred's ships are old boats of course and we would not use if we could afford the newer small ships that sail on unusual itineraries, but would not sail to the run of the mill ports on any ship.

Sorry about late reply. We have had a very time consuming couple of weeks trying to re arrange a couple of big hols we lost when All Leisure collapsed. One is for end of next month into March (we extended our independently booked post cruise stay with another three hotel stays and much better timed flights). The Boudicca cruise in the autumn is to be coupled with a post cruise stay in Mauritius and a stop over in Abu Dhabi to split flights on the return and avoid flying through the night. We had a bit of a panic when we discovered we were in Abu Dhabi for the Grand Prix because the hotel prices were really high, but have luckily been able to book a hotel on a loyalty points/small payment deal. Just the Mauritius hotel stay to finalise now, but we are nearly there.

Cheers, happy sailing and hope you enjoy that golden wedding next year.

Edited by tring

We have travelled on them all. We would not like to re do Black Watch - others OK but nothing special. The other ships are far more stable on the sea - but that is not difficult compared to Braemar as you may well know! We sail for itineraries rather than any particular ship.

Braemar has been by far our most favourite ship because it is newer, has bigger windows and the staff on board seem particularly happy, freindly and efficient., but we were on board in the autumn and there was a lot of very problematic fumes around the ship, to the extent we would not book that ship again. Parts of the ship, including our first cabin, (mid ship deck 6), were uninhabitable. Fred should make sure repairs are done. Some staff are saying it has got worse over last few months - though most seem sworn to secrecy or try to deny the problem! I suggest you complain promptly if you have any problems like that, they will move you if they can, but they seem to be sailing with the ship much fuller this winter. We have not had problems like that on Braemar previously, yet we have been on board for about 2.5 months in total over the last 2.5 years.

We love the Grampian on Braemar, which can be requested if it is still available when you book (I assume you use it too). Balmoral has a couple of upstairs smaller restaurants along the same vein, but the other two ships just have the big restaurants. All Fred's ships are old boats of course and we would not use if we could afford the newer small ships that sail on unusual itineraries, but would not sail to the run of the mill ports on any ship.

Sorry about late reply. We have had a very time consuming couple of weeks trying to re arrange a couple of big hols we lost when All Leisure collapsed. One is for end of next month into March (we extended our independently booked post cruise stay with another three hotel stays and much better timed flights). The Boudicca cruise in the autumn is to be coupled with a post cruise stay in Mauritius and a stop over in Abu Dhabi to split flights on the return and avoid flying through the night. We had a bit of a panic when we discovered we were in Abu Dhabi for the Grand Prix because the hotel prices were really high, but have luckily been able to book a hotel on a loyalty points/small payment deal. Just the Mauritius hotel stay to finalise now, but we are nearly there.

Cheers, happy sailing and hope you enjoy that golden wedding next year.

My wife has loved Braemar ever since we first cruised on her when she was Cunard Dynasty. It was our second cruise and we sailed from Vancouver to Miami via the Panama Canal. Like you we prefer the Grampian restaurant and book early enough to ensure we get it. I hope they have solved the fumes problem by the time we cruise in August. I have heard of complaints about fumes on previous cruises, but we have never experienced it on deck 7. Sorry to hear about your problems with All Travel, I hope you get things sorted out. We are busy prepairing for our trip to Australia on Feb 1st. We are going over for 6 weeks and will be spending part of the time visiting friends we met on a River cruise. Thank you for posts as it can be a little bit lonely on this forum.

Finally got the last piece of our new holiday 'jigsaws' sorted this morning. So all booked up now and already had one of the refunds due to us. Can hit the bottle and relax now :)

Enjoy Australia.