Travel insurance that comes with the United Mileage Plus Club Card

RJ2002

Has anyone had any experience using the Travel Insurance that comes with the Chase United MileagePlus Club Card?

This is the Chase credit card that allows you and a guest to use the United Club airport lounges in the US, and Star Alliance lounges overseas. It also comes with some other United travel privileges.

I've had the card for awhile, and just recently discovered it has most of the components of trip insurance that I usually purchase separately on a per-trip basis. The card carries $10,000 in Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage ($40K maximum payout per year). It also includes lost/delayed luggage coverage, trip delay coverage and medical evacuation. Importantly, it does NOT cover pre-existing conditions for a 60-day lookback period, although it does state that taking meds for a controlled condition is not considered a pre-existing condition.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences on this travel coverage.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone had any experience using the Travel Insurance that comes with the Chase United MileagePlus Club Card?

This is the Chase credit card that allows you and a guest to use the United Club airport lounges in the US, and Star Alliance lounges overseas. It also comes with some other United travel privileges.

I've had the card for awhile, and just recently discovered it has most of the components of trip insurance that I usually purchase separately on a per-trip basis. The card carries $10,000 in Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage ($40K maximum payout per year). It also includes lost/delayed luggage coverage, trip delay coverage and medical evacuation. Importantly, it does NOT cover pre-existing conditions for a 60-day lookback period, although it does state that taking meds for a controlled condition is not considered a pre-existing condition.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts/experiences on this travel coverage.

I would also like to hear about this since I have this card and never realized all that it covers...have you had any responses to this question?

Please advise

I have a different Chase card (Sapphire Preferred) but I think that Chase uses the same insurance for all their card products (but I could be wrong). In any case, I had a medical cancellation claim a while back and they paid for the charges I incurred that were charged to their card. I never was able to get a copy of the actual policy, but since they paid the requested claim amount, I didn't need to get into an argument with them. I had split the charges between different cards and Chase paid the charges I made to their cards & didn't fuss about "full non-refundable trip cost" like other travel insurers.

It took a few weeks and several calls as I didn't receive the (e-mail) claim form until I called a few times. I think you start the claim by calling the Chase cust service # on your card and they'll bounce you around a couple times, but eventually got to the claims processor.

Thanks very much for posting this. It looks very similar to my brochure for the United Club Card. I may have received it when I first got my card, but I must have inadvertently discarded it.

I called Chase again and they mailed me a current copy of the coverage.

RJ2002

Unless I'm reading it wrong, there seems to be some changes in the max limits.

I'm reading that the max limits are $5K per instance and a $10K max/annualy.

As you noted, the is no pre existing condition coverage, and I also noted that the Trip Delay kicks in after 12 hours.

I see some decent coverage, but not enough to deter me from continuing to purchase additional travel insurance. I would consider what coverage you are proded with this card as a nice supplimental coverage program.

RJ2002

Unless I'm reading it wrong, there seems to be some changes in the max limits.

I'm reading that the max limits are $5K per instance and a $10K max/annualy.

As you noted, the is no pre existing condition coverage, and I also noted that the Trip Delay kicks in after 12 hours.

I see some decent coverage, but not enough to deter me from continuing to purchase additional travel insurance. I would consider what coverage you are proded with this card as a nice supplimental coverage program.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The brochure itself looks similar, but for the United MileagePlus Club Visa Card, the coverage is double that of the Chase Sapphire Card. $10k per person / $20k per occurrence / $40k maximum annual benefit. This coverage will work for us for most travel, though we might consider other coverage for a high value overseas trip.

Purely as an aside, we are actually reconsidering the value of holding this card. United's increasing reliance of regional jets on mid-range domestic routes is very irritating. We may eventually shift our travel to other carriers and drop the Club membership card.

• 2 years later...

Just discovered the value of the United credit card trip cancellation coverage. When I got another quote on my trip insurance without that coverage (put $0 in the cost of the trip when getting the quote) the cost went from $1800 to $124 for both of us!! I am 66 and my husband 75. The medical insurance and evacuation coverage was the same, just no trip cancellation or interruption coverage from Travelex - that would be covered by the United card. I was shocked at the difference! But a very good shock.