West to East or East to West

Guineaman

We've just begun the planning process, and naturally the direction question arises. We live on the Southeast coast and will have to connect through ATL or CLT one way or the other for the LAX flight, either the outbound or return.

The thinking is that we'll stay on the ship for the transit; we have no interest in land tours in Panama.

There's gotta be a thread here somewhere … any help?

Well I think you have just swerved into such a thread, it is just sometimes it is not very active

First of all which direction you transit the Canal has no impact on the enjoyment or the experience in seeing the Canal. Either direction is equally rewarding, your choice of direction of transit is more dependent on your transportation needs to the embarkation port and your return to your home. That is where you are in the planning. Here is what I have done... My preference is to get all the airplane fun behind you as soon as possible. I live in Florida, so on all of my Canal cruise transits I fly to California and then when I disembark the ship in Florida I rent a car and drive home... a couple of hours drive. Don't know if that will work for you as you may live far enough away from the Florida disembarking port that flying home might be a better option. Even if that is the case I still would elect a California-Florida itinerary as I would prefer the shorter flight home at the end of the cruise. Another option would be to drive your car down to either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami depending where you disembark and fly to California from there. Often times you can also find a hotel that will permit you to leave your car while you are on a cruise.

Can't offer any real advice on the ATL or CLT... I think I would just look for the times that suit you best and what the fares are running. I would probably defer to ATL as my first choice and that is only because I am real familiar with ATL. Kinda like going home!

Your question is confusing.

What I understand is whether to cruise from LA to Florida or reverse?

If your in the South East I'd fly to LA and then cruise back to Florida.

Most full transit don't stop for tours during the Panama Canal crossing. Princess does periodically have cruise that stop at Panama city for a day before or after the cruise.

A search would find threads on the topic.

The common discussion is that as you lose time sailing from the Pacific to the Caribbean, many people prefer to go from the East Coast to the West Coast. We have done that 3 times. We will be trying sailing from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale this coming October.

The common discussion is that as you lose time sailing from the Pacific to the Caribbean, many people prefer to go from the East Coast to the West Coast. We have done that 3 times. We will be trying sailing from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale this coming October.

Glad to hear that we picked it correctly in going from Ft. Lauderdale to the California west coast. It is in just a little more than two week that we depart. Another option not mention is what would be your choice as to which port to finish at the end of your cruise. We will finish in super scenic and classy San Francisco. Some of the cruises doing the Panama Canal transit finish (or start) in San Diego, Los Angeles or SF. Which is best? Lots of options to consider!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,571 views for this posting.

What am I missing? Is losing 3 hours in 14 days really an issue? I would guess that just as many people sail west to east as east to west.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What am I missing? Is losing 3 hours in 14 days really an issue? I would guess that just as many people sail west to east as east to west.

It is to some people, that is why it is discussed. Maybe not to you or I, but there are other opinions in the world.

It is to some people, that is why it is discussed. Maybe not to you or I, but there are other opinions in the world.

I live in LA and am doing a PC cruise in April going from FLL to LA. One of the reasons we chose this direction is that we'll need to go back to work/school the next day and didn't want to deal with jet lag when we get home :)

• 3 weeks later...

Same with us. Since we live in San Francisco, flying to Ft, Lauderdale makes sense. We simply walk off the ship in San Francisco, and we're home in 10 minutes.

Since you have done the Panama Canal 3 times, have you tried different times of the year or do you stick with a certain times, e.g. spring versus fall?

Thank you in advance

Since you have done the Panama Canal 3 times, have you tried different times of the year or do you stick with a certain times, e.g. spring versus fall?

Thank you in advance

We have done December, April and May. Our upcoming SF-FLL is late October.