trip insurance

I have a cruise booked with Carnival for Nov 2017. I bought the trip insurance through Carnival. While looking at my credit card benefits I noticed that it includes up to $3000.00 trip insurance per person which more than covers my costs. Anyone know how credit card coverage compares to the insurance I bought through Carnival?

For one thing, the credit card insurance does not cover medical or evacuation expenses. Your own medical insurance may provide some benefits if you are travelling, but your co-pay and out of pocket costs will likely be more. Without getting into too much detail, it is generally best to have a good travel policy that covers medical and evacuation if you want to use your credit card for cancellation, trip delay, baggage. Try pricing such a policy at a website like insuremytrip.com and see if it is any less than what you paid for comprensive coverage.

My card, which is a Chase Sapphire, has trip insurance as well, but doesn't cover medical. On another CC thread, someone was talking about purchasing just medical and gave the name of a couple of sites that are used specifically for overseas travel:

https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/travel_medical.cfm

https://www.medexassist.com/

These were the two that were recommended by several of the world cruisers on the WC thread. I checked them out and for a 14 day trip, I could get medical coverage that included medical transport for around $60 per person, which is much cheaper than the all inclusive travel insurance.

Has anyone else done this--purchased just the medical insurance to cover out of country but let the credit card cover the travel insurance part? Chase Sapphire has trip interruption/cancellation, baggage delay, travel and emergency assistance, lost luggage reimbursement, and travel accident death/dismemberment insurance. Is there anything that the all inclusive pays for (besides the medical) that is not listed?

Inclusive travel policies will pay for any non-refundable cost. For example, you may get a better hotel rate for your pre or post cruise stay that is non-refundable. Often internet rates or early purchase are less. Credit card insurance should do that as well as long as you do not exceed the limits of reimbursement.

We also consider the cost of redepositing frequent flier miles since the fees apply per person per segment. If you are flying into one city and home from another, that accrues lots of fees. I don't know how credit card insurance handles that, but you can find comprensive policies that cover it as long as you include the cost in the amount insured.

Sometimes shore excursions, especially privately arranged ones, are non-refundable if you have to cancel on short notice.

Also, check to see what the credt card policy says about pre-existing conditions if that applies to you.

My card, which is a Chase Sapphire, has trip insurance as well, but doesn't cover medical. On another CC thread, someone was talking about purchasing just medical and gave the name of a couple of sites that are used specifically for overseas travel:

https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/travel_medical.cfm

https://www.medexassist.com/

These were the two that were recommended by several of the world cruisers on the WC thread. I checked them out and for a 14 day trip, I could get medical coverage that included medical transport for around $60 per person, which is much cheaper than the all inclusive travel insurance.

Has anyone else done this--purchased just the medical insurance to cover out of country but let the credit card cover the travel insurance part? Chase Sapphire has trip interruption/cancellation, baggage delay, travel and emergency assistance, lost luggage reimbursement, and travel accident death/dismemberment insurance. Is there anything that the all inclusive pays for (besides the medical) that is not listed?

Unfortunately all the sites mentioned so far only seem to cover US residents, we have yet to find a company who covers New Zealand citizens travelling internationally (LA back to NZ on 21 night cruise sailing)