Post Gastric Bypass--Delicate Issues

GolfMom321

I had RNY bypass 16 years ago, and lost a LOT of weight. I've kept most of it off, too, although I play with about 10-15 pounds. I've had recurrent abdominal hernias, and I have IBS. I can go from constipated to diarrhea in under 24 hours.

Which brings me to the delicate matter... WARNING--don't read if you're squeamish!!

When I "go", there are times I swear it could peel the paint off the wall. Yes, it's THAT bad. At home, it's just me, so it's not a problem. But on a cruise... My sister and I don't share a cabin, for this reason exactly.

My question is, how do I handle the cabin steward? I mean, there's No way to hide the obvious. I've had them come in with air freshener (a bit embarrassing...), I've come back to find the balcony door open. I keep my room very, very neat and clean (yeah, OCD, what can I say?), so there's not much to do besides make the bed and empty the trash, and, oh yeah--the bathroom... I've tried bringing industrial strength air spray. Didn't help. I've tried using PooPourri. Helps a little, when I remember to use it. But I can't stop it from smelling like something died in there. And the whole cabin just smells unpleasant. Again, I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me. But the poor cabin steward!!

I thought about printing up notecards saying something like "I have chronic intestinal issues, sorry about the stench" (in nicer words, of course). But with the likelihood of a language barrier, is it even worth it? Do I post a sticky note on the toilet that says "Sorry!"? Or do I just continue to avoid eye contact in the immediate aftermath, and leave a nice tip at the end of the cruise?

Am I really the ONLY one dealing with this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...