Suddenly Single But Still Want to go on Holiday! Advice Please :)

imp1978

Hi! :)

Owing to a rather uselss husband and details that don't need going into, I now find myself a potential solo cruiser.

Ive just had to cancel my Princess holiday to Norway (midnight sun / summer solstice) as they wanted me to pay 100% single suppliment fee.

As it gets nearer to the sail date (June) and prices come down so they can fill cabins, do they start to relent on the whole 'be mean to single people' stance?

Are there any good cruise agents anyone would recommend? Ive normally just bought through the Princess website, but if they are being anti single me, then thats out as an option.

And failing all that, if Princess really are that mean - anyone have any recommendations for other cruise lines that are a little kinder?

Hi! :)

Owing to a rather uselss husband and details that don't need going into, I now find myself a potential solo cruiser.

Ive just had to cancel my Princess holiday to Norway (midnight sun / summer solstice) as they wanted me to pay 100% single suppliment fee.

As it gets nearer to the sail date (June) and prices come down so they can fill cabins, do they start to relent on the whole 'be mean to single people' stance?

Are there any good cruise agents anyone would recommend? Ive normally just bought through the Princess website, but if they are being anti single me, then thats out as an option.

And failing all that, if Princess really are that mean - anyone have any recommendations for other cruise lines that are a little kinder?

My opinion is put on a happy face and call Princess directly, hoping for a kindly representative. Figure out a budget for yourself and explain your situation, then ask "what can you do for me so I can take a much needed solo holiday with your wonderful cruiseline?" Then let them go to work for you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Naming agents is not permitted. But as you've noticed, cruise line websites are rarely singles-friendly. A good agent may well know some singles-friendly deals. A good question to ask is what ships they, either personally or someone else in the agency, have sailed on. If you can get to the port on fairly short notice, then waiting til a couple of weeks before when Americans will have to pay high last-minute airfares, can produce good savings- pure supply and demand..

On most cruises, Holland America charges 150-160% for solos for interior and ocean view cabins. Cunard usually charges 175% for interior, ocean view and regular balconies. Most of the other mainstream cruise lines routinely charge 200% for solos.

You may find some deals occasionally. For example, on RCI I booked during one of their BOGO (first person sails full price, second for half price) sales. So I "only" had to pay 150% instead of their normal 200%.

Princess does occasionally have no single supplement, but those are rare. Keep an eye on the solo cruisers thread on this board for posting specific cruise info. I found a cruise for this September with no supplement and with great OBC too! I love Princess and have been willing to pay the single supplement when there is a sale AND the itinerary that I absolutely want to do.

On the other you might want to try the Norwegian ships (Escape and Getaway are two that I know of). They offer solo cabins which are about 100 sq feet but well equipped, lots of storage. They are interior rooms but aren't dark like so many others because they are separated from regular cabins and have shaded windows that allow diffused light into the cabin. I sailed on the Escape last year and loved the experience. There is a separate lounge specific to the solo cruisers and a cruise staff member who helps arrange evening dinners, etc. with other solo cruisers. With the right price and itinerary I'd sail again with them.

Princess is still my favorite as I've been cruising with them (with friends generally) for several years and am Platinum now, so Elite status is within reach.

Hope you find a deal to allow you to travel where and when you want! Good luck.