do we have to bring our gear or is'nt there much to see ?

fvandewouwer

hi and thanks for taking time to answer following question :

we will visit

Halfmoon ( private Island ) Bahamas

Grand Turk

St Thomas

San Juan

and we are snorkel fanatics ( no rocks and a few fish please )

should we fly in our gear for those destinations or should we seek for walking around

if we should bring our gear please tell me where and when to use them

cannot find descent snorkel / dive information except for Grand Turk and we love to snorkel in Grand Turk but cannot find any private tour ( small boat for experienced people )

thank you all for your input

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my thought. I'm an avid snorkeler and have been snorkeling for years. I bring my snorkeling equipment with me EVERYWHERE I go. I don't care if it's a sandy bottom beach or others on here have told me "no use bringing it there, you won't see anything". Because I can guarantee that every single place I have been to...I will see something! Almost every place that you normally wouldn't have the greatest snorkeling, I have managed to see something new that I have never seen before. I'm always grateful that I took it. So, that's my reasoning for taking equipment with me everywhere...even if it's just a mask and snorkel.

Half Moon Cay-I don't know what snorkeling tours they might have here, but like I said, I took my gear just in case and went on my own in the beach area. While there's not "tons" of things to see, you will find stuff. If you head into the water (facing the water) along the left by the wall, there was some neat stuff over there. We went up and down and past the private house rental there on the side, and on down. They also have some of the fake reef balls in the water over there too. Check out my HMC review in my signature line and you'll see pictures of what I was able to see (you will probably have to scroll until you get to the pictures since the review starts at the beginning of our day there).

Grand Turk-I have only went to swim with the stingrays (twice). Their tour does take you to snorkel at a reef along the way to the sand bar. Excellent tour! Check out what Nativeway can offer you if interested.

St Thomas-I LOVE St T! Check out my 2 reviews of Coki Beach. The snorkeling there is amazing! My first time there...let's just say I couldn't get enough of the place. I have seen coral there in colors I had never seen before. I never wanted to leave! The second time we went, we decided to try scuba diving and it was absolutely beautiful!

I can't really say much about the snorkeling in San Juan. When we cruised out of San Juan, we stayed at a resort that had their own private island and the snorkeling there was pretty neat (but you have to stay there to go to it and it's definitely out of the way from the cruise port to begin with).

I hope that helps a little...or gives you some place to start. You can also post in the individual board sections for probably more of a response from others on places to go. :)

Mitsugirly, thank you so much for making time to write to me your advice about my snorkeling concern and thank you for directing me to your review about HMC. Your story about the cabana you rented for your husband's shade and the little boy and father who's cabana it was made my rainy day all sunny and bright :)

you are a wonderful person and a brilliant writer and even more a great photographer

and you are correct that we need to take our mask and snorkel as they do not take

that much space in our suitcases. (we probably leave our wetsuits at home )

I will check some more of your reviews and wanna thank you again for your thoughts.

Wishing you a sunny day from rainy Belgium

Frie

Well, here's my thought. I'm an avid snorkeler and have been snorkeling for years. I bring my snorkeling equipment with me EVERYWHERE I go. I don't care if it's a sandy bottom beach or others on here have told me "no use bringing it there, you won't see anything". Because I can guarantee that every single place I have been to...I will see something! Almost every place that you normally wouldn't have the greatest snorkeling, I have managed to see something new that I have never seen before. I'm always grateful that I took it. So, that's my reasoning for taking equipment with me everywhere...even if it's just a mask and snorkel.

Half Moon Cay-I don't know what snorkeling tours they might have here, but like I said, I took my gear just in case and went on my own in the beach area. While there's not "tons" of things to see, you will find stuff. If you head into the water (facing the water) along the left by the wall, there was some neat stuff over there. We went up and down and past the private house rental there on the side, and on down. They also have some of the fake reef balls in the water over there too. Check out my HMC review in my signature line and you'll see pictures of what I was able to see (you will probably have to scroll until you get to the pictures since the review starts at the beginning of our day there).

Grand Turk-I have only went to swim with the stingrays (twice). Their tour does take you to snorkel at a reef along the way to the sand bar. Excellent tour! Check out what Nativeway can offer you if interested.

St Thomas-I LOVE St T! Check out my 2 reviews of Coki Beach. The snorkeling there is amazing! My first time there...let's just say I couldn't get enough of the place. I have seen coral there in colors I had never seen before. I never wanted to leave! The second time we went, we decided to try scuba diving and it was absolutely beautiful!

I can't really say much about the snorkeling in San Juan. When we cruised out of San Juan, we stayed at a resort that had their own private island and the snorkeling there was pretty neat (but you have to stay there to go to it and it's definitely out of the way from the cruise port to begin with).

I hope that helps a little...or gives you some place to start. You can also post in the individual board sections for probably more of a response from others on places to go. :)

Mitsugirly, thank you so much for making time to write to me your advice about my snorkeling concern and thank you for directing me to your review about HMC. Your story about the cabana you rented for your husband's shade and the little boy and father who's cabana it was made my rainy day all sunny and bright :)

you are a wonderful person and a brilliant writer and even more a great photographer

and you are correct that we need to take our mask and snorkel as they do not take

that much space in our suitcases. (we probably leave our wetsuits at home )

I will check some more of your reviews and wanna thank you again for your thoughts.

Wishing you a sunny day from rainy Belgium

Frie

Aww, thank you so much for the kind words. I hope some of the reviews might help you now or in the future. That's the reason I do them. :D

I just never pass up an opportunity to take my mask anywhere for fear of missing something. :p

Have a wonderful cruise!

If I am going to swim (and when I have a warm ocean I am going to be swimming) I may as well put a mask on and see if there is anything interesting. My mask and snorkel come with me to all warm ocean destinations. There is always something interesting to look at.

Mitsugirly- can you please post a link to your HMC review here? I can't get to your reviews for some reason on my iPad. That is one of our stops & you always give great tips on what to see! Thank you in advance & truly enjoy your reviews & writing[emoji173]

If I am going to swim (and when I have a warm ocean I am going to be swimming) I may as well put a mask on and see if there is anything interesting. My mask and snorkel come with me to all warm ocean destinations. There is always something interesting to look at.

We have tried it once on an excursion. Would like to do on our own in May. Can I get basic gear at say' date=' Walmart or do we need something better? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Hi there, if you expand Mitsugirly's signature there is a link to klik on to see/read her review

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Mitsugirly- can you please post a link to your HMC review here? I can't get to your reviews for some reason on my iPad. That is one of our stops & you always give great tips on what to see! Thank you in advance & truly enjoy your reviews & writing[emoji173]

I do not see a way to expand it on my iPad or iPhone. The only link I have is to see posts 'started by' or 'replies'. I skimmed through the started by but did not see it even went back 3 years! I even tried my computer & do not see a way to expand it. It is Ok, I will figure it out eventually.

I do not see a way to expand it on my iPad or iPhone. The only link I have is to see posts 'started by' or 'replies'. I skimmed through the started by but did not see it even went back 3 years! I even tried my computer & do not see a way to expand it. It is Ok, I will figure it out eventually.

Let me see if I can copy it for you

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

We have tried it once on an excursion. Would like to do on our own in May. Can I get basic gear at say, Walmart or do we need something better? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

For occasional use, Walmart gear is fine. I bought my gear from a dive shop after years of renting and buying the cheap sets, because I really enjoy it and it was finally worth it to me.

The link worked, thank you!

Glad to see you got the link posted by someone else above to work. I believe many others have posted that links in signature lines don't work if you are on an ipad (idk, I haven't tried it before). It might just be if you have the phone/pad app because I thought I have accessed it before (like from my phone) without using the app and just going to the internet.