Freeport & Nassau snorkeling

SweetPea0517

We are going here late April early May & looking for snorkeling suggestions for 2 couples with one of the spouses who will say in the boat or on the beach. We would prefer not doing a ship excursion since they never give us enough snorkel time we like.

We would like to hear your suggestions for a beach to snorkel from & how you got there. Plus private snorkel excursions. The cost of a private excursion may be an issue for the other couple is why I would like to have both recommendations.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at Stuart Cove this week along with the Queens Baths. The Baths look beautiful but it would be more than we can do. I need to check out Flying Cloud too. Thanks for the information, you can never have enough[emoji6]

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Hole Water Sports in Nassau was pretty good... for Nassau. They're located near the port at the British Colonial Hilton. The weather was marginal the day we were there, but they presented us with a couple protected sites to choose from... or we could get our deposit back if we wanted. We went ahead with the trip and saw a couple nice patch reefs. I'd use them again.

In Freeport we go to "Paradise Cove". It's a quiet, private beach, with a reef that's accessible from shore. It's a decent swim out, but the far side of the reef is alive and worth the trouble. If anyone argues that, they didn't swim out far enough!

Is your ship stopping at any of their private islands? If I remember correctly NCL's island had very good snorkeling as did RCLs. Usually doesn't cost anything to snorkel there except to rent equipment. Haven't been to the Bahamas in 20+ years but the snorkeling was very good as I recall. There was one trip where they took you out over a ship wreck.

Yes, we will be stopping at Half Moon Cay, our plan is to snorkel there. We have been to Great Stirrup and snorkeled off the beach on our first cruise. The water was cold & it rained but we had the best time, I am hoping the water will be warmer!

Yes, we will be stopping at Half Moon Cay, our plan is to snorkel there.

Without taking the snorkeling excursion to the inaccessible side of HMC, there isn't much to see there... unless you walk to the far end of the beach, past the horse stables, all the way to the signs discouraging you from traveling further. That's where there are a couple patches of live coral teaming with life. In addition, if you swim around the edge of the rocky shoreline, there is a sunken barge filled with fish.:cool:

The rocks at the beginning of the beach, and the artificial reef nearby, are pretty boring sights for experienced divers. ;)