Questions, questions, questions!

BellsRUs

My husband and I are planning back-to-back cruises in Australia and Tasmania in the fall.

- I read that we won't be able to drop our luggage off at the ship and then leave to sightsee in Sydney for a while. True?

- Does that also apply between our two cruises? Will we be able to get off and sightsee in Sydney and then get back on the ship for our second cruise? Will there be ship excursion that we could take, if we can't go on our own?

- How much time should we allow to get to the airport for our international flight for the trip home? We can usually get off quickly after the ship is cleared because of our Captain's Circle status and suite perks. How long will it take to get a taxi, drive to the airport, check in, etc.?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give us!

My husband and I are planning back-to-back cruises in Australia and Tasmania in the fall.

- I read that we won't be able to drop our luggage off at the ship and then leave to sightsee in Sydney for a while. True?

- Does that also apply between our two cruises? Will we be able to get off and sightsee in Sydney and then get back on the ship for our second cruise? Will there be ship excursion that we could take, if we can't go on our own?

- How much time should we allow to get to the airport for our international flight for the trip home? We can usually get off quickly after the ship is cleared because of our Captain's Circle status and suite perks. How long will it take to get a taxi, drive to the airport, check in, etc.?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give us!

First two questions, YES.

LAST QUESTION

Taxis are pretty readily available when you disembark.

Trip to airport about half an hour (but I recommend allowing an hour for traffic if you're in peek hour)

Check with your airline how long before departure you need to check in most international flights are a minimum of two hours, some report needing to be there three hours before. (I don't fly much).

First two questions, YES.

LAST QUESTION

Taxis are pretty readily available when you disembark.

Trip to airport about half an hour (but I recommend allowing an hour for traffic if you're in peek hour)

Check with your airline how long before departure you need to check in most international flights are a minimum of two hours, some report needing to be there three hours before. (I don't fly much).

Thank you!

Just for clarification on this query.

You can drop your checked in bags off and then leave to check in at a later time.

So, you would need to keep your handcarry with you while sightseeing.

Re travel time.

Last month we docked at 06:30 at Circular Quay (OPT).

I was at the airport at 08:00 via the train and using express walk off.

I was airside by 08:30.

Note: some ships dock at White Bay and the taxi queue may be a bit longer from there as there are limited public transport options.

Just for clarification on this query.

You can drop your checked in bags off and then leave to check in at a later time.

So, you would need to keep your handcarry with you while sightseeing.

Re travel time.

Last month we docked at 06:30 at Circular Quay (OPT).

I was at the airport at 08:00 via the train and using express walk off.

I was airside by 08:30.

Note: some ships dock at White Bay and the taxi queue may be a bit longer from there as there are limited public transport options.

Thank you for the clarification!

If you're among the first to get off the ship it shouldn't be a problem getting a taxi. However to be on the safe side allow an hour from the time you start to disembark to the time you get into your taxi, just in case. We were on Celebrity Solstice recently and it took us that long. We did disembark late but we have done this on other ships without problems. I think there were traffic issues that day so the taxis took longer to arrive at the OPT than normal. Anyway, better to plan for delays and then not get them than the other way around.

Anyway if you don't have too much luggage and you're at the OPT then the train station is an easy walk from the terminal.

No passports / immigration if your cruises haven't left Australia.

Customs and Agriculture were quick and efficient.

Our second cruise goes to Tasmania - does that count as leaving Australia?

Visitors to Australia should bone up on the following thread to enrich their visit to Oz and NZ

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2362723

Thanks for the tip - and this comment from MicCanberra on that thread 'Don't worry, Australia almost has a 100% return rate for tourists.clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703' may explain this question on our Princess cruise forms that I've never seen before. :o

Return Airport

In the unlikely event of an unexpected interruption of your cruise, which airport should we arrange to fly you to?

*Airport