Cruiseline insurance plus supplemental third party policy?

dsarah

We're going on a 3 week trip to Europe including 4 days in London, 14 day Norway cruise with Princess, and finally 4 days in Iceland. The things I like about the Princess insurance is the lower cost (we are in our 70's) and the ability to cancel for any reason and at least get a future cruise credit. However, that policy would cover only the cruise and not cover the other parts of our trip.

I'm thinking of getting the Princess policy and then insuring just the other expenses thru a third party policy. I priced that out and it comes out to about the same amount as insuring the whole trip thru a third party policy, but we would gain the ability to cancel the cruise for any reason and get something back. Also it would increase our coverage for medical and evacuation if the two policies coordinate the coverage?

Has anyone done something like that?

We're going on a 3 week trip to Europe including 4 days in London, 14 day Norway cruise with Princess, and finally 4 days in Iceland. The things I like about the Princess insurance is the lower cost (we are in our 70's) and the ability to cancel for any reason and at least get a future cruise credit. However, that policy would cover only the cruise and not cover the other parts of our trip.

I'm thinking of getting the Princess policy and then insuring just the other expenses thru a third party policy. I priced that out and it comes out to about the same amount as insuring the whole trip thru a third party policy, but we would gain the ability to cancel the cruise for any reason and get something back. Also it would increase our coverage for medical and evacuation if the two policies coordinate the coverage?

Has anyone done something like that?

Why don't you ask a travel insurance broker, like www.TripInsuranceStore.com

about what "additional" policy they might be able to recommend to get the combined coverage you want?

Also, you might also want to double check on a third-party policy that includes CFAR (cancel for any reason) coverage, too.

This would probably include "cash back", but would likely be capped at 75% of the insured amount.

It's impossible for us to know how your Princess policy would/wouldn't coordinate with "some unknown third party policy", as there are so many of those.

Thank you. Good idea to call and discuss it with an expert. As for a policy with CFAR, as far as I know they all require purchase within a short time after initial deposit and we are beyond that time period.

Thank you. Good idea to call and discuss it with an expert. As for a policy with CFAR, as far as I know they all require purchase within a short time after initial deposit and we are beyond that time period.

CSA allows the CFAR (and that waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion) up to "within 24 hours of final payment" (defined specifically).

Unfortunately, my understanding (but please double check!) is that although a policy with the waiver isn't much more expensive at that time, a policy with the CFAR is (not surprisingly).

But call to ask and discuss your particular needs/concerns.

Good luck.