Tips on Solo Cruising, pls.

bluebelle2010

Great to hear that it went so well!

Hi

What solo groups should I join before I leave?

I think you mean your Roll Call, which is done by the 'Find your roll call' link at the top of any board page - 3rd option in from the left. It'll be anyone cruising on that cruise, but you usually find a few solo travellers mixed in there.

Great to hear that it went so well!

I think you mean your Roll Call, which is done by the 'Find your roll call' link at the top of any board page - 3rd option in from the left. It'll be anyone cruising on that cruise, but you usually find a few solo travellers mixed in there.

Oh..ok, if they meant the roll call, yes, they can be fun and a nice way to meet other people on the cruise. I am one of

those folks who doesn't care if there are other solo cruisers on board though.....as long as folks are friendly, marital

status makes no difference (in my opinion).

Welcome back and I am glad you had such a good time:)....sailing solo is so awesome. As for sleeping well,

I always sleep well on a cruise.....whether it is the motion, the relaxation, the lack of stress, or all of those things

combined, I sleep better on a cruiseship than I do at home.

Thanks! I was a little worried as it was my first cabin without a balcony due to a full ship and no movement on the wait list. I did have an oceanview window, but I was a little concerned that I might feel claustrophobic. I didn't at all, so I actually conquered two things ~ both the solo cruise and the non-balcony room. This was a great discovery as it makes cruising much more affordable, thus more cruises!!!

Thanks! My next challenge will be flying out of California to catch a cruise ship! This will be fun to plan and open up so many more options!

I have sailed out of different parts of California multiple times........I love it:).......but that is not bad really. My next cruise is

sailing from Barcelona...so that is a 9 hour flight;)

I have sailed out of different parts of California multiple times........I love it:).......but that is not bad really. My next cruise is

sailing from Barcelona...so that is a 9 hour flight;)

That's a LONG flight!! What is your cruise itinerary for that trip? I think I will have to work up to a flight like that ~ maybe I will try Ft. Lauderdale or New York first. :) It looks like a handful of ships still leave from Galveston...

That's a LONG flight!! What is your cruise itinerary for that trip? I think I will have to work up to a flight like that ~ maybe I will try Ft. Lauderdale or New York first. :) It looks like a handful of ships still leave from Galveston...

Good morning:).I have flown to Europe before so it is not new to me. My itinerary is

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Ibiiza

Porto Mahon

Sardinia

Portoferriao

Livorno

Ending in Rome

The first 4 stops are SPAIN, the other 3 are in Italy......Livorno takes you to the Florence and Tuscany area of Italy.

Edited by Lois R

Good morning:).I have flown to Europe before so it is not new to me. My itinerary is

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Ibiiza

Porto Mahon

Sardinia

Portoferriao

Livorno

Ending in Rome

The first 4 stops are SPAIN, the other 3 are in Italy......Livorno takes you to the Florence and Tuscany area of Italy.

Lois, I will be very interested to see what you think about the Silversea cruise! Other than one Azamara cruise where I was able to get a great, never-to-be-seen-again rate on a balcony cabin, I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money to go on either a luxury line or a river cruise yet. You sure made the river cruise sound tempting last year though! :)

I think I may remember that you can't take enough time in one go to do a transatlantic, but I think you'd really like the Silhouette's route for their TAs with the Italy/France/Spain ports. We had a port stop in Palma de Mallorca on last fall's Silhouette TA and I LOVED the place! It was absolutely gorgeous and I was all ready to retire there until I learned how hot it gets in the summer!

Anyhow, long-winded way to say I hope you post your thoughts and impressions here after your cruise, I am looking forward to them! OP--sorry for hijacking your thread! :)

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Ibiiza

Porto Mahon

Sardinia

Portoferriao

Livorno

Ending in Rome

Hi Lois ~

That sounds like a FANTASTIC cruise! I think I could get over my aversion to fly far with that itinerary. What is the length of your cruise?

Hi Lois ~

That sounds like a FANTASTIC cruise! I think I could get over my aversion to fly far with that itinerary. What is the length of your cruise?

Hi:) the cruise is 9 nights...I am arriving in Barcelona 2 days early. It does sound wonderful, doesn't it?:D

Hi all....I am 69, and single, and I have cruised with my mother on 27 cruises. She passed away last year, and I am now going solo. I have taken a couple of cruises since, but I did know several people aboard, whom I had the pleasure of teaming with at trivia games. I had dinner most nights with these same people, so I didn't exactly feel like a true solo cruiser. I always join in the CC Roll Call Meet and Mingle activities, so sometimes 'know' people there.

On my last cruise (on the NCL Breakaway, from 15 to 29 January), on a few nights, my friends were dining in specialty restaurants, (they had the dining package), so I decided to go to the Solo Cruiser's meet in the Studio Lounge to see what that was all about. I am so glad that I did. It was hosted by a member of the cruise activities staff, who introduced people, arranged group dinner's, shore excursion's, and conducted games right there in the lounge. At the end of the social hour, I went to the dining room with the group, who by the way were some wonderful people, and enjoyed their company for a few dinner's. I kind of wished I could do that for the remainder of the cruise, but I had already committed to dinner's with my old friends (married couples).

On my next cruise, on the NCL Gem, 21-31 October, I will be truly solo, and hope that I meet some nice people in their Solo Cruiser's meetings. :).

Lois, I will be very interested to see what you think about the Silversea cruise! Other than one Azamara cruise where I was able to get a great, never-to-be-seen-again rate on a balcony cabin, I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money to go on either a luxury line or a river cruise yet. You sure made the river cruise sound tempting last year though! :)

I think I may remember that you can't take enough time in one go to do a transatlantic, but I think you'd really like the Silhouette's route for their TAs with the Italy/France/Spain ports. We had a port stop in Palma de Mallorca on last fall's Silhouette TA and I LOVED the place! It was absolutely gorgeous and I was all ready to retire there until I learned how hot it gets in the summer!

Anyhow, long-winded way to say I hope you post your thoughts and impressions here after your cruise, I am looking forward to them! OP--sorry for hijacking your thread! :)

One day I will be able to do a TA......BUT until that time I do what I can do:D......as for the $, I understand your point.

I would normally never have been able to book this..but some of my circumstances have changed I am able to do it.......lets hope it is all what I have heard about it.;p

One day I will be able to do a TA......BUT until that time I do what I can do:D......as for the $, I understand your point.

I would normally never have been able to book this..but some of my circumstances have changed I am able to do it.......lets hope it is all what I have heard about it.;p

I hope it is a wonderful cruise for you and hope you post updates after your return...enjoy!

Hi all....I am 69, and single, and I have cruised with my mother on 27 cruises. She passed away last year, and I am now going solo. I have taken a couple of cruises since, but I did know several people aboard, whom I had the pleasure of teaming with at trivia games. I had dinner most nights with these same people, so I didn't exactly feel like a true solo cruiser. I always join in the CC Roll Call Meet and Mingle activities, so sometimes 'know' people there.

On my last cruise (on the NCL Breakaway, from 15 to 29 January), on a few nights, my friends were dining in specialty restaurants, (they had the dining package), so I decided to go to the Solo Cruiser's meet in the Studio Lounge to see what that was all about. I am so glad that I did. It was hosted by a member of the cruise activities staff, who introduced people, arranged group dinner's, shore excursion's, and conducted games right there in the lounge. At the end of the social hour, I went to the dining room with the group, who by the way were some wonderful people, and enjoyed their company for a few dinner's. I kind of wished I could do that for the remainder of the cruise, but I had already committed to dinner's with my old friends (married couples).

On my next cruise, on the NCL Gem, 21-31 October, I will be truly solo, and hope that I meet some nice people in their Solo Cruiser's meetings. :).

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother and travel partner all in one. That is a good review of NCL ~ it sounds like they do things right for solo cruisers. Good luck on your future travels!

Glad to hear you had a good experience with the solo lounge. I've heard good things. I'm going on my first solo this summer. My first solo cruise was going to be another cruise, but some other people wound up tagging along. I'm booked on the Escape in a studio cabin and hope to find a good balance of socialization for myself. I can pretty much take anything, though--I mostly travel places by myself and don't worry about it much. But it doesn't hurt to have someone to sit with at meals, especially fancy dinners. Or someone to talk to on an excursion, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lois,

I saw your post. I'm a 1st time solo traveler on the Royal Caribbean TA April 13 to Southampton VIA Caribbean islands. I am not the best computer person and 'Im trying to find the easiest way to see chats about meet ups on board. I also would love to do a river cruise solo but i don't know how to pick one that's more than my mortgage payment. Any help I would appreciate.

Hi Lois,

I saw your post. I'm a 1st time solo traveler on the Royal Caribbean TA April 13 to Southampton VIA Caribbean islands. I am not the best computer person and 'Im trying to find the easiest way to see chats about meet ups on board. I also would love to do a river cruise solo but i don't know how to pick one that's more than my mortgage payment. Any help I would appreciate.

Hi:).....I would suggest going to the Royal Caribbean Roll Call section. I am betting there is a roll call for your cruise. It is

a good way to meet other people on the same cruise.

As for helping on how to do a River Cruise? Is there something specific question about it you want to know? There is a River Cruise forum on Cruise Critic too.......lots of threads over there with good information.:)

Hi:).....I would suggest going to the Royal Caribbean Roll Call section. I am betting there is a roll call for your cruise. It is

a good way to meet other people on the same cruise.

As for helping on how to do a River Cruise? Is there something specific question about it you want to know? There is a River Cruise forum on Cruise Critic too.......lots of threads over there with good information.:)

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer! I did go on the roll call but I didn't see a meet n mingle event. I know there must be one.:confused:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer! I did go on the roll call but I didn't see a meet n mingle event. I know there must be one.:confused:

You will get information about the Meet and Mingle after you board the ship.......information should be in your cabin.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

I am a 58 year old woman who as decided to do her first solo cruise. Feeling like most first timers a little scared. The thing is being 10 nights on my own, never traveled by myself before. I know people say your meet people at dinner , but this is not for me ( fussy picky eater ). I am going on MSC Magnificat 14 may 2018 to the fjords. Every one always say that they have to best time , just wondering if it's as much fun as people say.

Hi Everyone

I am a 58 year old woman who as decided to do her first solo cruise. Feeling like most first timers a little scared. The thing is being 10 nights on my own, never traveled by myself before. I know people say your meet people at dinner , but this is not for me ( fussy picky eater ). I am going on MSC Magnificat 14 may 2018 to the fjords. Every one always say that they have to best time , just wondering if it's as much fun as people say.

Hi, I have been cruising solo for almost 15 years, so I guess you could say I LOVE IT:D.....I am 59 and will be sailing

again in August:)

A couple of things, for a first cruise, I would have suggested a 7 nighter, so by end of the first week you would know

if you love it.

As for dinner, everyone is different. I prefer eating with other people but that is just me. I have never sailed with MSC

so I don't know how many restaurants are on your ship. I am quite sure there will be plenty of choices.

If you take some time and peruse the threads on this page, you will find there are many, many people who cruise solo

and yes, they have fun:D