Kids sail free and traveling with 18 month old

swetag81

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some insight as we're planning on taking a cruise soon (haven't decided which line yet but probably RC or NCL). We just started planning the last few days and are in a bit of a sticker shock with the prices. My husband and I have cruised before and so it's only been priced for 2 people, now its 5! I noticed that NCL has kids sail free but of course during May and then again in Sept, not during peak season of course.

So now my question is to those who have cruised with kids: (we are open to ports, length and itinerary)

1) What tricks or discounts did you find to help cut the cost?

2) Did you travel with less than 2 yr old and how was it?

3) What ship do you recommend?

Thank you in advance as this seems like its going to be more costly and difficult than we thought and so I'm looking for some glimmer of hope.

Rather than looking for kids sail free, I always just looked at the general itinerary I wanted and checked the total pricing for our cabin among all of the cruise lines. Often when there's a deal on the 3rd person, the cost of the first two is higher, so you have to look at the total cost for three people the week you want to go (the pricing can be different even week to week). The way I saved money was to get the lowest category I could stand. With everything included, I always found taking a cruise was less expensive than a hotel or resort vacation - even though those don't charge by the person. I took two cruises before my twins were 2 - any many after. It's a great way to go at that age. As for which ship - some of the RCCL ships have nurseries that could provide childcare, and Carnival offers late night sitting for under-2s (I think after 10), and Princess offers no child care, but allows you to accompany your child in the kids area to play (which my girls LOVED) - so it depends on what you're looking for in that regard.

All the best,

Mia

Have you also priced out two adjoining inside cabins? If you are within driving distance of a port, perhaps that might be more affordable (I don't know but it might be worth telling a travel agent you are really flexible and just need an affordable vacation).

Please note that the NCL Escape also has a nursery that charges per hour (as does Disney but that isn;t going to solve your pricing problems at all), or another possibility is to wait until the 18 month old is two and see if you can find an itinerary you like on Cunard or Carnival, since they take children at the age of two in their drop off kids club program.

I'd price out an all- inclusive or other land based vacation in a hotel with a kids program and see if that is more cost effective than a cruise. Our last all-inclusive was more expensive, and I thought a lot less enjoyable than our cruises but some people really love them.

Few lines have cabins for 5...you have to book some sort of "suite" to fit that many...so sometimes, 2 connecting cabins is the way to go. If some of your kids are old enough, even a cabin that's not connecting, but next door or across the hall will work.

Just be aware that anyone in diapers will not be allowed in the pools. Some ships have a "splash area" for diapered ones, but not all ships offer that. A blow up tub could be a good "splash" option.

We are a family of 5 and booked with Royal Caribbean when they were running their kids sail free promo. However, there are still taxes on each child so they are really not 100% free....but still a great deal! We booked a family oceanview stateroom that can sleep up to 6 people. There is a queen bed, a sleeper sofa and then a separate area with bunk beds. Sadly only one bathroom. Ha

NCL Escape has child care (hourly fee) for kids under 3 and free kids club for kids over 3 -- they also have family oceanview rooms that hold 5 people and include a bathtub for the kids. Carnival and Royal Caribbean also have some non-suite rooms that will hold 5. Or you may find 2 connecting inside rooms to be about the same price or even less, depending on itinerary and ship.

I have cruised with a 10 month old and with a 2 year old, and have one booked for next year with kids who will be 9 months and 4 at the time. We always invite at least one set of grandparents to come with us for a big family vacation, then there are no child care concerns!! (And you could book a room for 4 and put one kid in with grandparents at least on paper). But if we were traveling without family and with a kid under 3 we would sail on either Escape or one of the Royal Caribbean ships that has a nursery. We don't want to dump our kids all day, we spend most of the vacation playing with them, but we do like to have one or two evenings to enjoy an adult meal or show :)