Viking Ocean cruise dock Stockholm and St. Petersburg

Sir Bentley

I think there are multiple docking locations for both of these cities. If they are embarkation or disembarkation points, Viking may have the answer. If not, you may be able to find the port websites for one or both and see if the site includes a list of cruise calls with locations. I find the port websites helpful, especially if you like to do things independently in various ports of call. In St. Petersburg, you aren't likely to need this information, as you may be restricted to staying with a tour guide. Stockholm, however, is a different story. Port assignments are up to the port, not the cruise lines, so where Viking docks on one cruise can be different for the next cruise. A little later I may be able to find the Stockholm port website and see if they show helpful information. If I remember correctly, it's a pretty good site, with information on how to get to center city on your own.

I think you will find the dock in St Petersburg is the fairly new cruise terminal about 30 mins out from the city. There is very little there, just the terminal and a car park. We were there 4 years ago when it was brand new, it was completely souless!

As for Stockholm, looking at the Stockholm cruise terminal schedule it appears Viking dock in the city at Stadsgarden. If that is the case it is very easy to access the city.

St, Petersburg-Probably correct about the dock. Truly, is uglly and Soul less. However,There is a large souvenir shop at the cruise terminal so the Russians have at least figured out about capitalism. Some small ships go up the river and dock in town however ocean ships are too large--and they have to raise the bridges for passage. The city itself has many beautiful things to see. As far as I know, You don't need a visa as long as you are with a guided tour. And I don' think you can just wander around town.

St, Petersburg-Probably correct about the dock. Truly, is uglly and Soul less. However,There is a large souvenir shop at the cruise terminal so the Russians have at least figured out about capitalism. Some small ships go up the river and dock in town however ocean ships are too large--and they have to raise the bridges for passage. The city itself has many beautiful things to see. As far as I know, You don't need a visa as long as you are with a guided tour. And I don' think you can just wander around town.
Glad to hear about the souvenir shop at the cruise terminal in St. Petersburg. We will take July 15 Viking Homelands tour, and I know I will purchase some souvenirs. Do you know whether they accepted Euros? Or were transactions only with credit card or rubles? Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear about the souvenir shop at the cruise terminal in St. Petersburg. We will take July 15 Viking Homelands tour, and I know I will purchase some souvenirs. Do you know whether they accepted Euros? Or were transactions only with credit card or rubles? Thanks for your help.

As I recall the souvenir venue in the StP terminal wasn't that great. Reminded me of Soviet style thinking towards presentation. We did much better at the Hermitage and the Peterhof Palace. Also - be VERY CAREFUL when you walk into and out of the terminal. Watch for these raised metal (broad) strips across both the entrance and exit. No idea why they're there but, despite being painted bright yellow, it wasn't hard to come close to sprawling flat on your face. One woman did. I almost did. And yes, Viking made a point to warn folks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking of souvenirs in SP, my granddaughter wants Russian stacking dolls. I'm hoping that I will be able to find those while touring with Alla Tours or at least in the terminal.

Yes you will in both places

Most of the tours stop by the same souvenir store. It has the better qualityRussian items. --Vodka,caviar,stacking dolls and decorated Faberge' egg replicas. Just about everything Russian. You will also find people outside the palaces etc.on the street selling stuff of dubious origin. The big souveneer store took dollars,Euros, and I think British sterling. Credit cards too. You DO NOT need any Russian rubles.

There is a mail box at the terminal. We bought some Russian post cards and stamps and mailed a card to ourselves. Took about a month but we finallly got it.

One more thing-the folks in passport control show no emotion at all.

There is a mail box at the terminal. We bought some Russian post cards and stamps and mailed a card to ourselves. Took about a month but we finallly got it.

Thank you so much for your posts - both about the fact that we don't need rubles (that simplifies things) at the souvenir store and your post about a mailbox. I always send postcards to my grandsons (now 16 and 18); they have a large collection of postcards from our travels and keep us posted on how long the postcards take to arrive - we are almost always home before the card arrives; but, this is a tradition we enjoy. Kingfish45, you have made my day!

Totally agree. Reminded me of my Dad's observation about the folks who worked for the DMV in Rhode Island. That a job requirement was to take an ugly pill daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums