Melia Nassau Day Pass?

nu2crusin

Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not, but I def wanted people to know. I guess I missed it if it was.

We just got off the Getaway today and spend the day at the Melia on Friday. Apparently, the non-motorized water sports are not included anymore with the day pass. We paid $120 for 2 adults and 2 children and felt really ripped off. I asked about the paddle boards and kayaks and was told the policy changed last year and now only guests can use the toys for free.

We brought my brother and sister in law and they felt the same. Beers were really expensive, too. I would definitely not go back. We did take the #10 bus which was fun.

Do you recall what the fees were for any of those items? Also if we bring our own bogey board will we be allowed to bring it on to the resort and use at the beach? We can grab one from Walgreens in FL before boarding the Getaway, we sail at the end of August.

It sounds like you paid $35 Adult and $25 child, is that correct? We'll be two adults and a 13yo so I guess we'll pay for 3 Adults?

Edited by Nola26

Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not, but I def wanted people to know. I guess I missed it if it was.

We just got off the Getaway today and spend the day at the Melia on Friday. Apparently, the non-motorized water sports are not included anymore with the day pass. We paid $120 for 2 adults and 2 children and felt really ripped off. I asked about the paddle boards and kayaks and was told the policy changed last year and now only guests can use the toys for free.

We brought my brother and sister in law and they felt the same. Beers were really expensive, too. I would definitely not go back. We did take the #10 bus which was fun.

I couldn't agree more. We were there on Friday April 3rd as well. Girl at the front desk mentioned the price was $35/adults and $25/Children 12 and under, and it included NON-MOTORIZED SPORTS. The sign outside even mentions non-motorized are included for guests (although it does not specify "Day Pass Guest"). When we went to get a Kayak, we were told they had recently changed their policy to include free use for "guests" of the hotel and only snorkel equipment was included (plus $3 for a mouthpiece) with the Day Pass. In addition, I had to walk around for 25 minutes to hunt down two chairs when a couple left. My daughters had to put their towels on the beach. The pool and beach are beautiful, but it definitely was not worth the money. Frankly, I would have rather gone to Junkanoo Beach for free. We walked there briefly before getting back on the ship and it was beautiful, and looked like a lot more fun.

I also want to add that the Jitney was well worth the money, the locals were very pleasant and the Daiquiri Shack across from Melia was incredible.

Edited by gt14

I couldn't agree more. We were there on Friday April 3rd as well. Girl at the front desk mentioned the price was $35/adults and $25/Children 12 and under, and it included NON-MOTORIZED SPORTS. The sign outside even mentions non-motorized are included for guests (although it does not specify "Day Pass Guest"). When we went to get a Kayak, we were told they had recently changed their policy to include free use for "guests" of the hotel and only snorkel equipment was included (plus $3 for a mouthpiece) with the Day Pass. In addition, I had to walk around for 25 minutes to hunt down two chairs when a couple left. My daughters had to put their towels on the beach. The pool and beach are beautiful, but it definitely was not worth the money. Frankly, I would have rather gone to Junkanoo Beach for free. We walked there briefly before getting back on the ship and it was beautiful, and looked like a lot more fun.

I also want to add that the Jitney was well worth the money, the locals were very pleasant and the Daiquiri Shack across from Melia was incredible.

We went to the Melia on 4/7. Liked the place but the food was a bit pricey for what you get as with the drinks. But sometimes that's the way it goes in these types of places. I did not inquire about the water toys but only a couple people were using the stand up paddle boards anyway. No one on the water bike or other stuff.. I did notice a family (two adults, four kids) that seemed to have brought their own towels (differing colors) and not ones from a ship or the hotel. They came in after us, sat near us and left before us. I saw them pack up and walk down the beach, off the property and exit another way. Seems as if they snuck on without paying. Not a lesson that I would be teaching my kids but to each their own. Still, if I'm going somewhere and using their facility then I'm going to pay the going rate or go somewhere else. We could have saved a lot and went to another spot but I liked this look of this place after researching it. It wasn't overcrowded and noisy. You weren't constantly bothered by vendors and it wasn't the oft times not up to par cruise ship excursion (although we have had 'some' good ones of those). The restrooms were clean and nearby - always a plus. Pools with swim up bar and palm trees around. Not a bad day. Yes it was pricey and we could have done better for the money but we liked the place so it was worth it. Next time we'll try a different spot. And the #10 bus was interesting. One note on the Daiquiri Shack across the street. They were fresh made and tasty but the liquor was light. Asked for extra and was given a smidgen more but it was better. All in all a good day.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the information. Comparing the Day Pass at the Malia to a CCL-sponsored beach trip for $45 (and up to $200 for a poolside cabana), I'm leaning towards this. It's a pretty short trip on the #10 vice bus to boat to bus etc. for the 'private beach.'

• 6 months later...

Since we just got back from a Royal Caribbean Christmas cruise and this post from several years ago is all I could find, I thought I'd post here to give an update.

We found the Melia day pass through bookatourcaribbean.com. We upgraded to the inclusive lunch, paid a deposit of $27.59 and balanced owed onsite of $110.38 for 2 adults, 1 child. I read several reviews afterwards that said NOT to include the lunch because you could get a lunch onsite for less than the upgraded price from the basic day pass. I do not recall there being an option for a buffet, but since this is not my family's preferred lunch style, I would not have chosen it.

We arrived in Nassau early Dec 26th and after breakfast, wandered into Nassau to find the #10 bus. Directions were perfect. Bus driver was friendly - you pay the $1.25 per person when exiting, not entering. We waited about 10 minutes on the bus because it was still a little early so he wanted a few more passengers for the ride. It was an easy (maybe 10-15 minutes?) ride that dropped us off right in front of the Melia.

We checked in at the front desk and were provided armbands and a room key for towels. Walked out to the towel hut, but they were out of towels - said they would have more in about an hour. We decided to try the beach first and found nice chaise loungers not far from the water. Wandered back up a while later and we were able to collect our towels with the key cards. The water itself was nice, but it was an extremely windy day (in fact our whole cruise experienced a lot of wind - so much that it canceled all parasailing excursions in Coco Cay the day before). Because of this, it made the water a little rougher.

We laid on the beach until a little after noon with no complaints at all. However, lunch proved a little different matter. Went to check in at O'Grill and the hostess told us it was buffet-only. She then told us we could wait until 12:30 and enjoy the larger buffet in the Marketplace restaurant onsite. Again, we're not buffet fans, so we went to double-check at the front desk. We were told we could only eat at O'Grill with our purchased pass (that's what I thought) and the front desk called down to re-iterate this to the hostess.

We were seated at O'Grill and were told it was buffet-only/ no menu available. I would not have paid the upgrade if this was stated clearly. I went back to the website just now and noticed that it offers 2 options - buffet or "lunch" (this second option costing more). They must have changed it since we purchased a few months ago.

We had the buffet, and it was okay. Probably not worth the amount that we paid to upgrade for our appetites though. So this part was a bit disappointing.

We decided to hang out by the pool after lunch - they have 3 pools around the resort. The central pool with pool bar was PACKED so we opted for the zero entry pool - looked to have sort of a lazy river around it with waterfall. Pretty setting & we found chairs easily under palms for a little more shade. However, because of the strong winds (not Melia's fault), we left around 3pm.

Pick up the #10 bus back to Nassau on the street directly in front of the hotel - easy. Do make sure you have exact change though for the driver. We had $4 and I asked for my change. Sneaky driver gave me a Bahamian quarter back! ;)

Overall, we enjoyed our day at Melia. In fact, we've been to Nassau so many times that we all agreed this was our favorite day in Nassau - away from the crowds & market. However, I was disappointed with the lunch. I felt that we could have split a sandwich from the Starbucks or other small convenience markets and been okay rather than paying the upgrade to end up eating from a small buffet. We also were not able to take advantage of the kayaks & SUP because of the wind, although that was certainly not the fault of the Melia.

I went to Melia last year with my daughter. As two women traveling alone I thought it was a great option for a safe beach day. We took the bus there and back which was a breeze. Going back to Nassau in February next year and will go back. We went to Colonial Hilton the first time and thought they were just OK. Small beach and pool. Food prices were equal.

• 4 months later...

I am cruising to Nassau on july 14 and will be in Nassau on july 15th. I would like to know more details about the Melia Day pass. would like to spent some peaceful time in beach and pool with my family (2 daughters and wife). I would like to know about cabana, towels and any other amenities i can use. How long i can be on the beach? i would like to do a tour of Nassau city apart from visiting this beach.

I am looking for not crowded place and also calm waters with White sand and clear and turquois water.

Please help me with your valid suggestions

its been a while so ill try to answer your questions.

First, if you take the #10 bus for $1.25 pp.....have exact change....youll see Cable Beach, Junkanoo and the fish fry. Mini tour. Before you go to the Melia, grab a $5 daquari across the street at the Daquari Shack! Yummo!

Last time i was there, you could just go to guest services and buy a day pass. July is low season, so you shouldnt have a problem. This way you can pass if it rains.

The cabanas are a mystery, unless they are new.....but I must have shade (had melanoma) and theres plenty of shade under the palm trees. Ive been there at least fuve tines- its my go to place in Nassau and a stunning beach, meticulously maintained.

Your day passes entitle you to a towel, use of the pool, and all facilities. Its a beautiful hotel comprised of the old Sheraton and Wyndom. Theyll give you wrist bands.

Edited by mrobstad

• 3 weeks later...

The place is beautiful, drinks and food are outrageous and not worth the price $110 for 3 people for a buffet that was just not good. The Daquari Shack right across the street is a great place for food and drinks. They make their drinks from scratch with fresh fruit.

Edited by cfitch

• 7 months later...
Hi, we just returned from our bahamas cruise this week. We did the $30 day pass at Melia and I HIGHLY recommend it! It was great!

Once we arrived in Nassau, we went to the visitors desk inside the building you go through there at the port and asked the lady there about it (just to be sure it was legit).

She instructed us to take the #10 bus and tell them to take us to Melia, so that's what we did. Only $1.25 pp fare. When they drop you off in front of the hotel, just go in to the front desk and tell them you want a day pass and they'll give you a pink arm band.

We didn't feel the need to do the all inclusive one because we ate a big breakfast before getting off the boat, and we knew we'd probably leave by 2pm so we could do a little shopping before getting back on the boat. There's a pool bar and also a starbucks inside the hotel, so we just got a couple of waters while we were there and took a few snacks and didn't need to eat at their restaurant.

It's a beautiful beach, chairs available, great pools, beach volleyball available, basketball court - my 17 yr old found a group of guys to play with. Also includes snorkeling, paddle boarding, use of kayaks, etc.

I would definitely go back and do it again. Great use of our money!

Thanks

We may try this on our next visit in Nassau

• 2 months later...
Hi, we just returned from our bahamas cruise this week. We did the $30 day pass at Melia and I HIGHLY recommend it! It was great!

Once we arrived in Nassau, we went to the visitors desk inside the building you go through there at the port and asked the lady there about it (just to be sure it was legit).

She instructed us to take the #10 bus and tell them to take us to Melia, so that's what we did. Only $1.25 pp fare. When they drop you off in front of the hotel, just go in to the front desk and tell them you want a day pass and they'll give you a pink arm band.

We didn't feel the need to do the all inclusive one because we ate a big breakfast before getting off the boat, and we knew we'd probably leave by 2pm so we could do a little shopping before getting back on the boat. There's a pool bar and also a starbucks inside the hotel, so we just got a couple of waters while we were there and took a few snacks and didn't need to eat at their restaurant.

It's a beautiful beach, chairs available, great pools, beach volleyball available, basketball court - my 17 yr old found a group of guys to play with. Also includes snorkeling, paddle boarding, use of kayaks, etc.

I would definitely go back and do it again. Great use of our money!

So the kayaks and paddle boards are included in the day pass? or are they extra? TYIA

• 1 year later...
We are heading to Nassau and are looking at going to Melia, I just called and it's $35/day. Anyone been there recently?

We were there the last week of March. We paid at the door $40.00 if I remember clearly. Had a nice relaxing beach day. As I said before in another post, if you're looking to have a tasty umbrella drink, forget it. The drinks at the beach bar were overpriced and had a horrible taste, ugh!

Other than that, if you're idea of a nice beach day is with a Starbucks frappucino or a bottle of water, you'll totally enjoy your day.

We were there the last week of March. We paid at the door $40.00 if I remember clearly. Had a nice relaxing beach day. As I said before in another post, if you're looking to have a tasty umbrella drink, forget it. The drinks at the beach bar were overpriced and had a horrible taste, ugh!

Other than that, if you're idea of a nice beach day is with a Starbucks frappucino or a bottle of water, you'll totally enjoy your day.

Funny enough, the Melia has probably the best daiquiri place right in their front parking lot. Fresh fruits, totally off the chain, and not expensive. A lot of locals and workers go there after work, too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d1748354-Reviews-The_Daiquiri_Shack-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

We are heading to Nassau and are looking at going to Melia, I just called and it's $35/day. Anyone been there recently?

much of the information in here is from 2014

some from 2016 so please be careful with information from posts from long ago

Funny enough, the Melia has probably the best daiquiri place right in their front parking lot. Fresh fruits, totally off the chain, and not expensive. A lot of locals and workers go there after work, too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d1748354-Reviews-The_Daiquiri_Shack-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

We weren't in the front parking lot looking for daquiris. I'm referring to the beach bar. Once on the beach, am not going to head back out to the parking lot, lol!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We weren't in the front parking lot looking for daquiris. I'm referring to the beach bar. Once on the beach, am not going to head back out to the parking lot, lol!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I’m so disappointed I didn’t learn about the daiquiri shack until after our day there, if we make it back, we will definitely venture there.

I’m so disappointed I didn’t learn about the daiquiri shack until after our day there, if we make it back, we will definitely venture there.

Honestly, I don't know which entrance you used, but our driver pulled up to the front, and I have pictures, and there is no daquiri shack there. Are you sure you have the right hotel?