Holland America Line Introduces New Elite Beverage Package

LauraS

HAL has offered this "Elite Beverage Package" back in 2016. It was offered on the Oosterdam in November 2016.

At that time it would have been a pilot program.

When they make an announcement like this, it is now being offered fleetwide

Pretty steep unless you drink a lot. I would never pay for water which is free by the glass from any bar on board. Also the water from the tap in your room is safe to drink & can use to fill your water bottle. The fact that every one in your state room has to also buy the package & that price is per day.

Allan

Beverage packages must be purchased by all occupants of the stateroom??

So my pregnant DW and my 1 YO DD would be purchasing alcohol packages if I want one...right. :eek:

I'm a frequent enough cruiser and this is my first HAL cruise. I'm a bit shocked by that fact.

Not that I can't just buy drinks on my own but this policy seems beyond silly.

I would love to see HAL provide the opportunity to have just one guest in a cabin purchase the drink packages. Sell it per cabin and still have the limit restrictions on the alcohol. If one package is not going to provide enough for two guests' consumption, then they can purchase one each. The use is easily trackable by adding the package to the cabin/keycards.

It would be nice for the lines to provide guests with more flexibility instead of restrictions, and it can still be touted as a way for a traveler to monitor their trip budget.

Beverage packages must be purchased by all occupants of the stateroom??

So my pregnant DW and my 1 YO DD would be purchasing alcohol packages if I want one...right. :eek:

Only adults of drinking age in the same cabin are required to purchase the package if any one of them wants it. So, your daughter would be exempt based on age.

Your wife, although pregnant and perhaps not drinking alcohol, could still make use of the package by drinking non-alcoholic beverages (such as mocktails, sodas, specialty teas and coffees).

I've also read here on CC of passengers who submitted a doctor's letter to HAL if they couldn't consume alcohol, and were exempted from also having to purchase a package offering alcohol if other cabin occupants had purchased one.

Thanks. Would they still be required to purchase a non-alcoholic package? if that's the case it's really not worth it. My DW drinks water, and while she could have a cup of coffee per day I guess, she wouldn't while pregnant. Or 10/day :halo: to make the package worth it.