A Lighter Side to a Cruise Review: Riviera 02/02-02/12/17

RedneckBob

Maybe it's time to start a grits roll call or something like that. I only know redneckbob through the boards but we have definitely had grits for breakfast on HAL. Hal's gradual cutbacks in food quality brought me to O but I would cruise HAL again for the right itinerary.

Amen

We are prior HAL cheerleaders now devoted to Oceania

Hey RedneckBob, here's a thought: Bring a box or two of grits with you and when ordering breakfast, hand the waiter the box and ask that the kitchen make some for you. Of course, leave the box with them for the next day or two!

Here's to good eats! Your world, your way!!!!

Donna

This will be our first Oceania (Riviera) cruise. So glad to hear Rednecks are represented ! Your comment about the salt shaker with one hole was very funny! As for the Kobe burger, perhaps they meant Kobe BEEF and not Kobe Bryant? LOL Have always taken warm weather cruises, but very much looking forward to Athens to Rome 4/18.

Pooch72, a cool clear day in the med is about as good as it gets. I have to wait til mid September for my turn. You'll benefit greatly in the small ports with fewer ships and cooler weather. Make us rednecks proud. Enjoy your cruise.

O does have the worst Bagels of any cruise line.

They are equivalent of Lender's garbage bagels.

Once again we agree. I am not from South or North Brooklyn :D but have spent many years in NYC (including in Brooklyn) and O bagels are pretty bad. They are one of the very few baked goods they bring on frozen rather than bake fresh (I believe English muffins are also frozen). All of their other baked goods are fresh & outstanding (baguettes, croissants, etc).

Edited by Paulchili

Once again we agree. I am not from South or North Brooklyn :D but have spent many years in NYC (including in Brooklyn) and O bagels are pretty bad. They are one of the very few baked goods they bring on frozen rather than bake fresh (I believe English muffins are also frozen). All of their other baked goods are fresh & outstanding (baguettes, croissants, etc).

I believe that the problem with the bagels is that they are 100% baked, rather than boiled and baked as is the custom in the North Eastern United States.

laurent-duchene-croissant-exterior.jpg?format=300w

Don't want to burst any balloons, but the croissants are brought on formed and frozen raw, then baked fresh, both with and without chocolate, each morning.

French%20Rolls-091115.jpg

The baguettes are so uniformly superb that I'm tempted to say that they must be imported raw also, but I'm not certain.

Whatever they are doing, it WORKS!

Hey RedneckBob' date=' here's a thought: Bring a box or two of grits with you and when ordering breakfast, hand the waiter the box and ask that the kitchen make some for you. Of course, leave the box with them for the next day or two!

Here's to good eats! Your world, your way!!!!

Donna[/quote']

Thanks for the advice Donna.

Sorry for slow reply but I was on another cruise, this time Celebrity Equinox. After 3 days began to have withdrawals from not being on Riviera! Went back to some of same ports a month earlier on Riviera.

Love going back to beaches at Barbados. Our bus driver that took 30 of us to the beach asked if anyone had been hear before. I shouted, "Yes, I had". Then he asked me, when. I said, "Last month". Then the driver asked if owned any property in Barbados.

I replies, "Yes, a beach chair & umbrella"!

You are definitely a bright, shining star in these boards and we love your sense of humor. In regards to grits, I went to a military college in the south and refused to eat their grits my entire freshman year. I ran in place every morning for fifteen minutes as punishment but it was my one piece of defiant victory against the system.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I love grits, but the Southern way with pecans and all other goodies.

That being said, I bring my own pepper (from Tortola, I stock it) and my own salsa for my eggs. Every ship doesn't have everything.

Our first cruise on the Riviera is not until September. I just hope my wife doesn't find your review first, Redneck Bob.

She won't want to go if she finds out the waffles aren't fit for consumption. She just loves waffles for breakfast. How can they screw up waffles when they brag about all the good food?

How about French toast? Do they have good French toast?

Our first cruise on the Riviera is not until September. I just hope my wife doesn't find your review first, Redneck Bob.

She won't want to go if she finds out the waffles aren't fit for consumption. She just loves waffles for breakfast. How can they screw up waffles when they brag about all the good food?

Let me clarifly.

My remarks about the waffles is what they serve at the Terrace Cafe. The French toast is also looks like from the frozen section that are served at the TG.

The MDR I believe the waffles & French toast are what you would expect.

But don't worry. If the waffles and toast are not up to par you may be left to eating lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, lamb chops and filets everyday :)

Being also from South Brooklyn -- I enjoy grits but not the runny stuff.

Also being from Brooklyn -- O does have the worst Bagels of any cruise line.

They are equivalent of Lender's garbage bagels.

After looking at the bagels I have never wanted to eat one or even take a bite. Most of us from Brooklyn can just look and know what they might taste like. No problem as there is so much good food on Oceania I can wait till I get home to have one.

This California girl was perfectly happy with lox and bagels for breakfast. Of course I always had an eggs Benedict and the sticky buns along with it. I don't even like breakfast food LOL believe me I don't think anybody starves at breakfast. I am sure it is up to each of us to decide as my twin sister did not like their lox!

We are sailing again next week and I cannot wait to eat everything in sight! I have already noted to myself I need to eat more lobster! We sailed on the Marina in February and the next one is on the Regatta, so I will miss not having Red Ginger, as it turned out to be my favorite of all the restaurants. Thankful that I have lost the weight I gained on the first cruise plus an extra couple of pounds. I am ready to indulge!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks TravelNLesa,

We were almost neighbors. Grew up in small town just south of Birmingham

Bob, we might have been neighbors? I moved to South Florida 4.5 years ago but spent the prior 30 years first in Homewood, then Vestavia Hills and finally in Hoover, AL! Hoover was 6 years in JeffCo and 15 years in Shelby Co. And FYI, I packed a box of Jim Dandy Quick Grits for my first trip to Aruba back around 2001. Didn't need to as the local IGA grocery had the same brand and box available, LOL! I prefer not to cook on any vacation but it's sometimes nice to "fix" breakfast for dinner when you've spent the day on the beach and are vacationing for a few weeks and have a real kitchen.

Bob, we might have been neighbors? I moved to South Florida 4.5 years ago but spent the prior 30 years first in Homewood, then Vestavia Hills and finally in Hoover, AL! Hoover was 6 years in JeffCo and 15 years in Shelby Co. And FYI, I packed a box of Jim Dandy Quick Grits for my first trip to Aruba back around 2001. Didn't need to as the local IGA grocery had the same brand and box available, LOL! I prefer not to cook on any vacation but it's sometimes nice to "fix" breakfast for dinner when you've spent the day on the beach and are vacationing for a few weeks and have a real kitchen.

Pretty close. grew up just south of Alabaster. Been in Florida +40 years and still enjoy good grits !

I find breakfast in the MDR to very good.

Heck, I love grits, but the Southern way with pecans and all other goodies.

That being said, I bring my own pepper (from Tortola, I stock it) and my own salsa for my eggs. Every ship doesn't have everything.

Yum, Yum ;p