2nd worse cruise line in world?

cruisers5

MSN.com had an article the other day listing the 12 worst cruise lines in the world. MSC was listed at the second worst cruise in the world. Listing air pollution, sewage smells, watered down drinks, lost luggage, staff not speaking English, etc. How true is this???

The only MSN "article" I found is just a repeat of the Friends of the Earth environmental report card, the only cruise line they can barely tolerate is Disney.

http://www.foe.org/cruise-report-card

A lot of the current rating probably stems from MSC getting caught a few years ago dumping trash in South America. Unfortunately, not uncommon in the industry.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/03/articles/pollution-1/guardian-of-the-seas-is-msc-cruises-polluting-brazilian-waters-again/

Edited by Até

MSN.com had an article the other day listing the 12 worst cruise lines in the world. MSC was listed at the second worst cruise in the world. Listing air pollution, sewage smells, watered down drinks, lost luggage, staff not speaking English, etc. How true is this???

In three words: "NOT AT ALL"

Makes me laugh.

Cheers

Or as my good Brit friends would say:

RUBISH!

Cheers

Or as my good Brit friends would say:

RUBISH!

Cheers

A posh Brit would say "BALDERDASH!"

An average Brit would say "B*LLOCKS!" or if annoyed "COMPLETE B*LLOCKS!"

and a comparatively polite Brit would say "RUBBISH!" or "NONSENSE!"

Any link to said article?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/tips/the-12-worst-cruise-lines-in-the-world/ss-BBA3UUa

The thing is that Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL are all listed in that article as being among the 12 worst cruise lines in the world. The article is very biased and just meant to grab attention.

Edited by morena2003
Add correct link

The thing is that Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL are all listed in that article as being among the 12 worst cruise lines in the world. The article is very biased and just meant to grab attention.

Thanks, found that page immediately, but I see no article regarding ratings/review of staff, drinks, luggage, etc... just a link to the FOE report and a CC competitor generic review page. I don't see any overall rating list except the FOE page where MSC is second to last.

Thanks, found that page immediately, but I see no article regarding ratings/review of staff, drinks, luggage, etc... just a link to the FOE report and a CC competitor generic review page. I don't see any overall rating list except the FOE page where MSC is second to last.

I saw it on msn webpage - you know how they have their rolling screens right on the front page? It was a couple days ago and was one of those screens with the "story" once you clicked on it.

The list included NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Viking River, MSC, can't recall the others.

This article is complete codswallop (another British way of saying RUBBISH!)

Avalon get scored down because passengers can't choose their own itinerary?! It's a river cruise. They follow particular formats, include excursions and passengers pay for that.

Comments on Costa due to the Concordia disaster, which whilst a tragedy cannot be used in isolation to judge a whole cruise line and premium dining / drinks not being included

Star Clippers - traditional sailing ships, there aren't going to be lifts / elevators and of course it's going to move about! Perhaps the problem here is passengers not booking an experience appropriate to their needs

MSC has advanced technology to clean sewage... I've never experienced a watered down drink?! Most of the public facing staff in my experience have a good command of English, a long with many other languages. I wonder whose experience this was based on!

Funnily enough the only ship I've ever seen rubbish dumped from was The Disney Magic. Woke up on a transatlantic cruise to see dozens of frozen chicken floating past the window. It was quite surreal. I just assumed a freezer had malfunctioned so the lot had to be dumped.

Can't speak to MSC yet, have 2 booked in the next 6 months so I guess I'll find out.

Oh, so the "article" is the little meaningless blurbs on each slide. Very strange research, totally random, you could go and find the bad points mentioned on one cruise line mentioned somewhere for any cruise line. It picked on RCI for Noro, look at Oceania's recent Noro history, if you consider fleet size it's much worse. The links/references are horrible, often having nothing to do with the citation. Particularly bad is the MSC link used about staff not speaking English; a 2104 CC review from a first time ever cruiser on Musica. Aside from linking to the FOE the article has no credibility to me.

OP, the article has no ranking. The only thing that shows MSC was 2nd worst was the 2016 FOE report, but the bottom five are kind of obscure as to ranking.

has anybody else notice that on the main article the bottom 4 are in alphabetical order, of the grade F scorers, making MSC 16th out of 17?

http://www.foe.org/cruise-report-card

but on this link to the 2016 score card, MSC is 14th by virtue of actual scores not and overall grade F

poor statistical knowledge of the article writer, coupled with biased reporting?

http://webiva-downton.s3.amazonaws.com/877/59/f/8287/1/Cruise_Report_2016.pdf

PURE BS ("MSN article, not your post).

A month ago we enjoyed a B2B MSC (first time) Divina in the YACHT CLUB 3/25-4/8/17. If you expand the signature below, we've sailed on almost everything new since 2008, various lines, stateroom classes, etc., including the NCL (in the Haven).

We noticed MSC, the Divina first, then the upcoming Seaside and Meraviglia classes, on Cruise Critic in other lines' threads exchanging YACHT CLUB to HAVEN comparisons.

We then took a look at MSC Divina and took the B2B YACHT CLUB for 40% on the dollar* versus the NCL Escape Haven.

* Excluding $ impact of beverage package "included" on MSC Divina YC.

We made our planned cruise on the Escape in the Haven to TWO cruises on the Divina in the YC. :o

We haven't made a detailed review (yet) as we were arranging booking reservations for the Seaside YC for THREE cruises B3B (upped from original B2B to add different family members and family-in-laws) on two of the three cruises in the YC in March of 2018.

Our first MSC experience was that GREAT.

IMO, MSC is buying a North American cruiser client group using an incredible three prong strategy of matching loyalty status and discounts, matching 2 for 1 promotions and letting kids aboard for free.

The VALUE is simply not comparable to anything else out there from our perspective.

The YACHT CLUB is so unique in the SPACE it has dedicated to the (1) Top Sail lounge, (2) One Pool / Pool / Hot Tubs/ Bar / Buffet-Order / and Sun Deck and the (3) Le Muse fantastic, warm, welcoming and delightful dining (on the menu, off the menu or Mario's live pasta dishes in the middle of the floor).

We've enjoyed ALL our cruises, even one's with things that have gone wrong (and this one had one of them too**), and we enjoyed this B2B very, very much.

** Can you believe this satisfaction from a stateroom that didn't have a functioning shower from Wednesday of the first leg until disembarking? ;)

has anybody else notice that on the main article the bottom 4 are in alphabetical order, of the grade F scorers, making MSC 16th out of 17?

Yes, as I stated the bottom seem to be oddly ranked. I'm not sure they are biased against any of the lower ranked lines, I figure it has to do with FOE's inability to get accurate information as most cruise lines fight every attempt at reporting/monitoring.

I wonder who is first worst one? :*

I was wondering the same thing. lol If MSC is the 2nd worse, then Princess should be the 1st, because both of them are top in my book. We've been on many cruises with a variety of cruise lines and MSC is one of the best we've ever been on. We were on Divina, booked on Seaside, and plan on booking on Meraviglia when it becomes available to book in Miami.

Save

Sort of rubbish you read about most lines.

Funnily enough the only ship I've ever seen rubbish dumped from was The Disney Magic. Woke up on a transatlantic cruise to see dozens of frozen chicken floating past the window. It was quite surreal. I just assumed a freezer had malfunctioned so the lot had to be dumped.

Can't speak to MSC yet, have 2 booked in the next 6 months so I guess I'll find out.

OMG! REALLY?:o