If you've cruised in May, did you encounter many shorts/sandals days?

shadesofgrey

Last cruise, I traveled with one 24" suitcase. No carry ons, but a small purse for ID and a kindle. Going to Alaska, the same number of nights worth of clothes takes up a lot more space ("layers" vs. swimsuit/cover up/slides). So, do you bring shorts/sandals just in case? I definitely would in late June or July, but in May? Just wondering what you've encountered. FWIW, I am used to cold weather and don't freeze wearing shorts when it's 60F, but I also don't regularly encounter any cool ocean air currents.

May was the best weather I've had in Alaska. Last time I went it was 70-80 but that 2015 and the winter was beautiful. The forecast for this trip looks more like rain and 50 in may though . We might bring one pair of shorts but I've gone may, July and August and all times I needed layers of different clothes throughout the week.

On my many cruises to Alaska in May, I have encountered temps in the 70's a number of times, although rarely, so shorts may not be a reasonable option. Warm temps were during the day while in port and quickly dropped as night approached. Cold rain can appear suddenly and wearing shorts away from the ship might leave one in a very chilling condition.

Sacrificing space in a small piece of luggage for shorts/sandals is a personal decision.

Last cruise, I traveled with one 24" suitcase. No carry ons, but a small purse for ID and a kindle. Going to Alaska, the same number of nights worth of clothes takes up a lot more space ("layers" vs. swimsuit/cover up/slides). So, do you bring shorts/sandals just in case? I definitely would in late June or July, but in May? Just wondering what you've encountered. FWIW, I am used to cold weather and don't freeze wearing shorts when it's 60F, but I also don't regularly encounter any cool ocean air currents.

Been watching State temperatures lately, and, we've only been at the highest in the mid to high 50s. Here in Southcentral, we still even have snow on the ground, and, haven't even hit the high 50s. The snow is melting very slowly. After having 3 years of basically no snow, we were back to being above average in our snowfall, all through the State.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Here in the Pac. NW shorts are very common even in the 40's and 50's. Depends on what you are used to. Not at all uncommon to see folks in shorts wearing hooded sweatshirts. More common for guys. I could look around at work at any given time and find 50 or more guys in shorts. Sandals.... not as practical especially if wet out.

We are starting to see signs of the winter low pressure areas in the Gulf of Alaska and Bering Sea weakening and more high pressure ridges every few days. In May figure in a given week two dry and maybe sort of warm (60°) days along the coast and in SE Alaska.

According to Farmer's Almanac, May is supposed to be a little cooler than usual this year. I'm taking one pair of capris, but no shorts. For context, I'm from the Pacific NW and am one of those weirdos who will wear shorts or capris with a sweatshirt when it hits 50. =)

My husband is a "shorts guy" and has worn shorts in May the last 5 times we were there. But that is because he loves wearing shorts. If that is you, then by all means toss in a pair or two. No need for sandals though.

According to Farmer's Almanac, May is supposed to be a little cooler than usual this year. I'm taking one pair of capris, but no shorts. For context, I'm from the Pacific NW and am one of those weirdos who will wear shorts or capris with a sweatshirt when it hits 50. =)

Can always tell when Spring has hit here in Anchorage, because, the shorts come out at about the time temps hit 50!

Susan in Anchorage :)

I'm a shorts kind of guy too. Last year in May I wore shorts a few different days but only one day in port that I can remember (Ketchikan when we ziplined). I wore shorts on our 3 at-sea days without a problem. The day we were in Ketchikan it got almost "hot" (maybe knocking on the door of 80 degrees) so wearing shorts that day made total sense to me. I will admit that once the sun went down it was pretty cool walking on the decks outside (30s-40s) - though I still had on my shorts but was wearing a jacket. Shorts might make sense to some but sandals might be pushing it.