Have you used Oceania's air department?

luvtravel

Because of our situation - we have to travel business class on long flights. We right now have a deposit on an Azamara cruise but just saw something similar on Oceania on which we've only travelled once before (Riveria). Reading fine print - we must use their air to receive any of the O choice benefits - which would bring the cost closer to what Azamara's is. Wondered what experience any of you have with using Oceania's air department - routing, upgrades, etc. We have used ChoiceAir associated with Azamara and they always have excellent pricing. What have you found? Unfortunately we'd have to fly to one of the cities they offer flights from-but we'd be willing. Any experience you'd share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Because of our situation - we have to travel business class on long flights. We right now have a deposit on an Azamara cruise but just saw something similar on Oceania on which we've only travelled once before (Riveria). Reading fine print - we must use their air to receive any of the O choice benefits - which would bring the cost closer to what Azamara's is. Wondered what experience any of you have with using Oceania's air department - routing, upgrades, etc. We have used ChoiceAir associated with Azamara and they always have excellent pricing. What have you found? Unfortunately we'd have to fly to one of the cities they offer flights from-but we'd be willing. Any experience you'd share would be appreciated. Thanks!

You do Not have to use their air at all to receive any of the O life benefits....

Jancruz1

Included airfare was actually a major consideration for why we decided to cruise Oceania. I compared some open market flights direct with airlines to/from Rome and found the difference in pricing, airfare only credit, and OLife benefit was still the better buy even after the $175 Air Deviation Request. We didn't get the $99 upgrade and I'm not sure how much extra the Business Class upgrade factors in, but for our cruise it looked something like this:

Airfare-excluded

---------------------

$3750 Cruise-Only Fare

$1600 open market Airfare

=========

$5350 cost per person

Airfare-Included

--------------------

$5150 Promo Fare

$175 Air Deviation

($300) Olife Promo cash value

============

$5,025 Cost per person

I guess a simpler way to look at it, is Oceania would give us an $1100 airfare credit if we chose to book our own flights. The difference in the carriers I looked at was roughly $500, so even with a $175 Air Deviation fee per person, it was still better to just go with the Olife and included airfare promo package and get the Air Deviation.

Overall the experience was easy and problem-free, we sent a list of dates/time windows and carriers we preferred to fly through our Oceania TA and they sent us back some times and airlines. There was no fee incurred until we approved and committed to the times. The turnaround for quotes was 1-2 days between Christmas and New Year's Eve, so pretty good speed given it was the holidays.

Whether it makes more sense for your cruise will vary of course where you are flying to/from, but I am sure Oceania also varies the amount of airfare credit in their promo package accordingly.

You do Not have to use their air at all to receive any of the O life benefits....

Jancruz1

Correct, you can pay for the promotional fare, and they will give you an airline credit, but you still end up paying for the Olife benefits.

For my cruise

Olife Promo fare = $5150

Airline credit = $1100

Shipboard credit = $300

Cruise only fare = $3750

So while you could get an airline credit of $1100 if you chose the Olife Promo fare, you still end up paying the $300 for Olife benefit + free internet (1 account).

Generally the Olife benefit is at least as good as what you pay for it ($300 shipboard credit, $400 House Bev package, 3 excursions) but this also varies by cruise.

Thanks to all of you for your input - I now have a better understanding, I think. On this particular cruise there is no upgrade to business class air offered thru Oceania so taking the air credit sounds the best plan if we do this cruise. Thanks again to you all!

We usually do our own air although we have used O's air on a few occasions when it was to our benefit. We used the $99 upgrade to premium economy on our NY-Copenhagen/London-NY flights last summer, which was very good but not business class, of course. Only once that I can remember did we see a business class option for a reasonable price. Usually if you ask for business from Oceania, if they offer it the cost will be prohibitive. The one time we used it was for Heathrow to JFK and the price was worth it.

But that business fare is only good for flights over water. For us that was fine, but if you need another flight from your U.S. destination to your home (or from a foreign destination to the ship), you will be in coach for those portions.

We usually do our own air although we have used O's air on a few occasions when it was to our benefit. We used the $99 upgrade to premium economy on our NY-Copenhagen/London-NY flights last summer, which was very good but not business class, of course. Only once that I can remember did we see a business class option for a reasonable price. Usually if you ask for business from Oceania, if they offer it the cost will be prohibitive. The one time we used it was for Heathrow to JFK and the price was worth it.

But that business fare is only good for flights over water. For us that was fine, but if you need another flight from your U.S. destination to your home (or from a foreign destination to the ship), you will be in coach for those portions.

Just spoke to Oceania and did find out about the limited business class and since we live near the west coast that doesn't work well for us. They were not offering any 'promo' upgrade. Their cost for add on limited business anyway was alot, especially without knowing routing and getting the reservations that would be better by paying a deviation might not be available that close to departure.

After looking at both cruises to similar ports - (Azamara/Oceania) - we are leaning toward Azamara -- but knowing the Marina is the sister ship of Riviera which we've been on -- we will miss those larger bathrooms!

But we still have a few days to ponder all of this! Thanks for your input!

Just spoke to Oceania and did find out about the limited business class and since we live near the west coast that doesn't work well for us. They were not offering any 'promo' upgrade. Their cost for add on limited business anyway was alot, especially without knowing routing and getting the reservations that would be better by paying a deviation might not be available that close to departure.

no matter what cruise you choose it is wise to fly in at least one day or more prior to embarkation day

So with using O air you would need to book the flights with the deviation starting at the 270 day mark anyway

so you would know the routing at that point

The included air will not work for your needs so a moot point anyway

I was able to find a good Bus class fare for our cruise so took the air credit & just booked my own flights

Our comfort is more important to us

You have to do what works best for YOUR needs/wants

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Included airfare was actually a major consideration for why we decided to cruise Oceania. I compared some open market flights direct with airlines to/from Rome and found the difference in pricing, airfare only credit, and OLife benefit was still the better buy even after the $175 Air Deviation Request. We didn't get the $99 upgrade and I'm not sure how much extra the Business Class upgrade factors in, but for our cruise it looked something like this:

Airfare-excluded

---------------------

$3750 Cruise-Only Fare

$1600 open market Airfare

=========

$5350 cost per person

Airfare-Included

--------------------

$5150 Promo Fare

$175 Air Deviation

($300) Olife Promo cash value

============

$5,025 Cost per person

I guess a simpler way to look at it, is Oceania would give us an $1100 airfare credit if we chose to book our own flights. The difference in the carriers I looked at was roughly $500, so even with a $175 Air Deviation fee per person, it was still better to just go with the Olife and included airfare promo package and get the Air Deviation.

Overall the experience was easy and problem-free, we sent a list of dates/time windows and carriers we preferred to fly through our Oceania TA and they sent us back some times and airlines. There was no fee incurred until we approved and committed to the times. The turnaround for quotes was 1-2 days between Christmas and New Year's Eve, so pretty good speed given it was the holidays.

Whether it makes more sense for your cruise will vary of course where you are flying to/from, but I am sure Oceania also varies the amount of airfare credit in their promo package accordingly.

A touch too simple...

What is missing from the equation is what may be lost by using O's air. For example:

Depending on the airline (most of them), you will not be able to use O's fare class to upgrade to business class using your FF points. (And O's cost of upgrade to business class is obscenely expensive).

You may also not accrue any FF points (again depending on airline) associated with the mileage traveled nor will the trip count toward "premier" status levels.

If you use an airline credit card (e.g., United Explorer Visa) for your cruise (including flight cost), you will not get double (or possibly triple) points for purchase of that airline's ticket since it is packaged in an Oceania charge.

For intercontinental travel (e.g., US-Asia), the total "points" at risk could possibly equate to the value of a free domestic round trip ticket.

Of course, this won't work for everyone. But, it remains important to recognize that there are multiple factors to consider beyond the ticket cost.

BTW, there are occasions when O's air credit equals/surpasses the retail tix price. Always do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A touch too simple...

What is missing from the equation is what may be lost by using O's air. For example:

Depending on the airline (most of them), you will not be able to use O's fare class to upgrade to business class using your FF points. (And O's cost of upgrade to business class is obscenely expensive).

You may also not accrue any FF points (again depending on airline) associated with the mileage traveled nor will the trip count toward "premier" status levels.

If you use an airline credit card (e.g., United Explorer Visa) for your cruise (including flight cost), you will not get double (or possibly triple) points for purchase of that airline's ticket since it is packaged in an Oceania charge.

For intercontinental travel (e.g., US-Asia), the total "points" at risk could possibly equate to the value of a free domestic round trip ticket.

Of course, this won't work for everyone. But, it remains important to recognize that there are multiple factors to consider beyond the ticket cost.

BTW, there are occasions when O's air credit equals/surpasses the retail tix price. Always do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We looked at booking through Amex but of course the fare increases far outweighed the difference between 3x points offer and standard 1%. We generally don't tie ourselves to any particular airline or airline card for rewards, but we do get FF miles through the various alliances. I've never had any issues getting miles accrued for those even for business travel, they don't really seem to care who/how you paid for the trip and give you credit as long as you bother to provide your FF#.

We're getting points/rewards regardless though since we charged the trip on the Amex, so the difference of $40 or so was nothing compared to the higher rates Amex was quoting over booking directly through the airlines, which were still more than booking through Oceania.

But yes, always do the math and due diligence and see what works best for you!

I believe you can book with O-life including air.....and then you can eliminate air or air+olife anytime (and your bill will be adjusted) without penalty up to final payment time. That keeps your options open.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone used OLife air credit to fly from Barcelona to Atlanta. I believe the airline will be Air France (Economy from Barcelona to Paris and PE from Paris to ATL). Those flights leave at 6,8, or 10 am. disembarkation is 8AM. Should I deviate and stay another day? Use O's airport transfers? Use my own hotel in Barcelona? First time with Oceania

Has anyone used OLife air credit to fly from Barcelona to Atlanta. I believe the airline will be Air France (Economy from Barcelona to Paris and PE from Paris to ATL). Those flights leave at 6,8, or 10 am. disembarkation is 8AM. Should I deviate and stay another day? Use O's airport transfers? Use my own hotel in Barcelona? First time with Oceania

I might be misunderstanding you, but "taking the air credit" usually refers to getting a lower price on your cruise and purchasing your own air. The air credit is the difference in the cost with air vs the cost without air.

What makes you think they will use AF? Really there is no telling what you will get until they assign your air.

If you deviate it will cost you $175 per person, but you get to select your own flights, within reason. You might be charged extra for the ones you select if they are more expensive than what Oceania would use.

Whether or not you stay any extra time is up to you, but we always try to go in at least a day early when embarking. I usually like to just go home at the end, others practices can differ.

Most feel that Oceania transfers are not a good value, unless you just want to have everything taken care and don't mind paying quite a bit extra for that service. Same for the hotel. We always do hotels and transfers on our own.

There are several carriers that O might use

check http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ for your date

they do have later flights on other airlines with PE seats

If you want to see Barcelona then yes stay longer personal choice

I would book your own hotel & transfers a taxi is much cheaper than O transfers