Considering Oceania for the 1st time

WeehawkenCruiser

Far be it from me to tell the captain what he can and cannot do on his own ship ...

I will say that the majority of children that we have seen on board have been children of the crew and they have always behaved impeccably. No doubt their parents make sure that they do ...:)

Far be it from me to tell the captain what he can and cannot do on his own ship ...

I will say that the majority of children that we have seen on board have been children of the crew and they have always behaved impeccably. No doubt their parents make sure that they do ...:)

Too, they are kept out of sight as much as possible and never in the dining rooms only in the Terrace and then at odd /non popular times.... The crew knows the ship is focused on adults and they must not allow their child to be obvious, nor to interact with the guests...:confused:

I didn't see these children interacting much with guests, but I have seen them in the "real" dining rooms.

Mura

+1

Last cruise the GM had his wife & daughter onboard they ate in the GDR

She was a little angel

Other times when officers had their children onboard they were seen in the restaurants also

I guess we have been lucky any children we have had on our cruises have been well behaved

Weighing in as a CC editor, mom of two kids (of the type who I might never take cruising again, let alone on Oceania) and having been on Marina in February -- I would say you shouldn't be scared of taking your 2yo on Oceania, but you should consider her personality above all else when making that decision.

Member jamesandavasofia took his 3yo on our cruise, and the two of them had a blast. It was a Caribbean cruise, and she enjoyed the pool, the beach time and could handle the dinners (as far as I heard). She was well traveled and content watching Disney videos in their large suite, as well as enjoying the ship without running amuck. Most passengers were enamored of her, though he got a lot of flack on our Roll Call for considering bringing her. I'm glad it did not scare them off.

My kids, OTOH, couldn't handle dinners on Norwegian (including one episode where I whisked them from dinner early because they were lying on the floor under the table -- EW!), refused to go to the kids club, etc. I know better than to even try to bring them with me on any upscale cruises for many years to come.

So if you think Oceania will be a great fit for the grownups -- and it's got lots to recommend it -- and you think your 2yo can handle it (and you can handle her), I say go for it! Cruise Critic's editorial site (yes, we have one -- lol!) has lots of great content in our Family Section about how to maximize your chances of having a great cruise with kids in tow.

We are considering Oceania for the 1st time for my father's 60th birthday next year. We are all experienced cruisers (Celebrity, NCL, CCL, MSC) but have never been on a luxury line and I am wondering if we will enjoy the atmosphere.

It will be myself and my husband, our 2 year old daughter, and my father (plus maybe one of his friends).

My father likes converstions at the bars and making friends, playing trivia, gambling and good food and drink. My husband and I like the same as well as a nice spa day and some sun.

If anyone can share thoughts it would be much appreciated.

You know your child better than anyone...Enjoy yourselves!

Weighing in as a CC editor, mom of two kids (of the type who I might never take cruising again, let alone on Oceania) and having been on Marina in February -- I would say you shouldn't be scared of taking your 2yo on Oceania, but you should consider her personality above all else when making that decision.

Member jamesandavasofia took his 3yo on our cruise, and the two of them had a blast. It was a Caribbean cruise, and she enjoyed the pool, the beach time and could handle the dinners (as far as I heard). She was well traveled and content watching Disney videos in their large suite, as well as enjoying the ship without running amuck. Most passengers were enamored of her, though he got a lot of flack on our Roll Call for considering bringing her. I'm glad it did not scare them off.

My kids, OTOH, couldn't handle dinners on Norwegian (including one episode where I whisked them from dinner early because they were lying on the floor under the table -- EW!), refused to go to the kids club, etc. I know better than to even try to bring them with me on any upscale cruises for many years to come.

So if you think Oceania will be a great fit for the grownups -- and it's got lots to recommend it -- and you think your 2yo can handle it (and you can handle her), I say go for it! Cruise Critic's editorial site (yes, we have one -- lol!) has lots of great content in our Family Section about how to maximize your chances of having a great cruise with kids in tow.

Thank you Erica for this post. I have been so dismayed and disappointed by numerous posters who are putting down parents/families for bringing children on an Oceania Cruise. I am taking my first Cruise ever, a gift from my parents who are winding down on their major travel due to age and ailments. But, wanted to first take my family including my 11yo Son on an Oceania Cruise. They have loved Oceania and said although there is no kids programs that our Son would be fine on the ship and enjoy not only the experience, food and ports, but he would be respected by the other guest because he is able and comfortable traveling with adults as an only child. To see so much bitterness toward Oceania allowing children to travel on their cruises is just disappointing. If these such people didn't want children on their trip they should choose another Cruise line that doesn't allow children. Oceania doesn't prohibit children so stop tell people to not come on an Oceania Cruise if they bring their children. People come her for thoughtful advice not to be put down.

There's a huge difference between an 11 year old and a toddler. My concern isn't whether your 11-year-old will behave. Obviously he's capable of going to dinner and sitting and talking with adults, and the most important thing is that you're spending time together as a family. My concern would be whether or not this is the best way to spend your vacation dollars. I understand that your husband and you would probably love the food, service, etc. that Oceania provides, but what will your son do? You know his personality- when my boys were your son's age, I had one son that would enjoy exploring ports and eating gourmet , and another that only likes pools, beaches, and hanging out in the kids clubs and chicken fingers. We went to Disneyworld every year, including the cruise line which met everyone's needs! Consider if you and your husband will want some alone time. What will your son do, if you and your husband want to sit at the bar and have a couple drinks? Oceania doesn't have anywhere for him to go and hang out with other kids his age, unless you choose one of the itineraries that is set up for families. No one is saying that he can't come on the cruise line, but I think several people have made valid points that there really isn't much for children to do. I know that both of my boys would have been bored silly, on a cruise with the age average of their passengers, and my best advice would be just to look at a cruise line that maybe offers more that your whole family can enjoy together. Do you think that a cruise line such as Royal Caribbean would be a better fit? Is he the type of boy that would prefer water slides , hanging out with other kids, rock walls? But if you and your husband have your hearts set on Oceania at least try to find a cruise when there will be more children on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Too, they are kept out of sight as much as possible and never in the dining rooms only in the Terrace and then at odd /non popular times.... The crew knows the ship is focused on adults and they must not allow their child to be obvious, nor to interact with the guests...:confused:

100% not true :o.

Thank you Erica for this post. I have been so dismayed and disappointed by numerous posters who are putting down parents/families for bringing children on an Oceania Cruise. I am taking my first Cruise ever, a gift from my parents who are winding down on their major travel due to age and ailments. But, wanted to first take my family including my 11yo Son on an Oceania Cruise. They have loved Oceania and said although there is no kids programs that our Son would be fine on the ship and enjoy not only the experience, food and ports, but he would be respected by the other guest because he is able and comfortable traveling with adults as an only child. To see so much bitterness toward Oceania allowing children to travel on their cruises is just disappointing. If these such people didn't want children on their trip they should choose another Cruise line that doesn't allow children. Oceania doesn't prohibit children so stop tell people to not come on an Oceania Cruise if they bring their children. People come her for thoughtful advice not to be put down.

We have been on Oceania cruises with children on board. They were no problem either during the day or in the evening. We always have breakfast in the MDR and so did a family with 2 very small children who were never disruptive. One evening they were next to us in the dining room - again no problem. We never witnessed any animosity to parents or children.

Hope you all enjoy your trip.

Lou

There's a huge difference between an 11 year old and a toddler. My concern isn't whether your 11-year-old will behave. Obviously he's capable of going to dinner and sitting and talking with adults, and the most important thing is that you're spending time together as a family. My concern would be whether or not this is the best way to spend your vacation dollars. I understand that your husband and you would probably love the food, service, etc. that Oceania provides, but what will your son do? You know his personality- when my boys were your son's age, I had one son that would enjoy exploring ports and eating gourmet , and another that only likes pools, beaches, and hanging out in the kids clubs and chicken fingers. We went to Disneyworld every year, including the cruise line which met everyone's needs! Consider if you and your husband will want some alone time. What will your son do, if you and your husband want to sit at the bar and have a couple drinks? Oceania doesn't have anywhere for him to go and hang out with other kids his age, unless you choose one of the itineraries that is set up for families. No one is saying that he can't come on the cruise line, but I think several people have made valid points that there really isn't much for children to do. I know that both of my boys would have been bored silly, on a cruise with the age average of their passengers, and my best advice would be just to look at a cruise line that maybe offers more that your whole family can enjoy together. Do you think that a cruise line such as Royal Caribbean would be a better fit? Is he the type of boy that would prefer water slides , hanging out with other kids, rock walls? But if you and your husband have your hearts set on Oceania at least try to find a cruise when there will be more children on board.

My Parents are taking us on this cruise. It wasn't our choice to pick cruise lines. We were able to pick out which itinerary. My husband and I can have alone time if we want. My parents will spend time with our Son. We have done Disneyland. My Son, has looked at the Disney Cruise and said he would not want to go. He doesn't like a lot of large group things. He like smaller groups, whether it is with kids his age or adults. My Point is that people are so judgmental about families with children traveling on Oceania that they are rude and disrespectful. Oceania is not a Child Free Cruise line. If people don't want to cruise with children then they need to find a cruise line that is child free, not tell people here to not go on Oceania because they want it to be child free. One day my Son will be an adult and want to take a cruise, if he has a positive experience on this cruise he may want to cruise on Oceania again. I have spoken with Customer Service with Oceania and they have been very positive about my Son traveling with us. Never have be been discouraged not to travel with him.

I missed the part of your story that your parents were going also, that's what I get for skimming through the posts. And now I totally get your point! I have to admit that I'm one of those people that if I see toddlers at a table, and they're already making a lot of noise or crying I will ask the hostess to seat me at a different table if that's the direction in which they are heading. I work very long hours, and when my husband and I go out for dinner I do look forward to that time as a time to relax and unwind and a toddler having a tantrum or crying throughout my dinner pretty much ruins the meal. The bottom line is that your parents are paying for the cruise, this is the cruise line that they've chosen, and I think they're very nice for allowing you to decide itinerary you would like to experience. You can't worry about other people's judgment in this matter. And if they are rude or disrespectful to you or your child, shame on them. I bet your son will be a perfect gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums