First Time Cruise-Excursion Recs and Local v. Cruise ship bookings--help please

jillsd26

Hi there. I'm doing my first cruise this August--Disney Wonder to Alaska (Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan). I have two 7 yo boys. I think it's pretty clear the helicopter/dog sled trip is a must do for us. Would appreciate recommendations about local operators for this one since I would like to book soon (we can't book through Disney until May 31 and I would be crushed if we couldn't get this one). I think this is generally out of Juneau? As of right now, the other priorities seem to be to make sure we see black bears and bald eagles. Would appreciate any recommendations on the best trips for us as well as people's experience using local operators. I have heard you can't save that much in Alaska by booking yourself but would be interested in what you have to say and just generally whether the experience is better than the ones booked with the cruise operator. And since this is our first cruise, would welcome any other tips, whether specific to Alaska, Disney or otherwise. Thanks so much! :cool:

Hi there. I'm doing my first cruise this August--Disney Wonder to Alaska (Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan). I have two 7 yo boys. I think it's pretty clear the helicopter/dog sled trip is a must do for us. Would appreciate recommendations about local operators for this one since I would like to book soon (we can't book through Disney until May 31 and I would be crushed if we couldn't get this one). I think this is generally out of Juneau? As of right now, the other priorities seem to be to make sure we see black bears and bald eagles. Would appreciate any recommendations on the best trips for us as well as people's experience using local operators. I have heard you can't save that much in Alaska by booking yourself but would be interested in what you have to say and just generally whether the experience is better than the ones booked with the cruise operator. And since this is our first cruise, would welcome any other tips, whether specific to Alaska, Disney or otherwise. Thanks so much! :cool:

There are only 3 vendors who do glacier dog sledding out of Juneau, 1 out of Skagway. You need to be accepting of this being the most canceled of Alaska excursions. IF a real priority, then I suggest you book at your first opportunity, then immediately call the next port for any possible booking. But, I'll mention, you are not likely to find any last minute booking for 3 people. www,traveljuneau.com http://www.skagway.com

For black bears- it depends WHEN in August? Depending on the date, there is Traitor's, Neets and Anan (which is doubtful 3 slots are available anywhere). These are all out of Ketchikan, fly ins. http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

There are only 3 vendors who do glacier dog sledding out of Juneau, 1 out of Skagway. You need to be accepting of this being the most canceled of Alaska excursions. IF a real priority, then I suggest you book at your first opportunity, then immediately call the next port for any possible booking. But, I'll mention, you are not likely to find any last minute booking for 3 people. www,traveljuneau.com www.skagway.com

For black bears- it depends WHEN in August? Depending on the date, there is Traitor's, Neets and Anan (which is doubtful 3 slots are available anywhere). These are all out of Ketchikan, fly ins. www.visit-ketchikan.com

Thanks. We are going August 14-21.

Traitor's Cove would be my preference.

Do you have any recommended vendors for a trip to Traitors Cove? I would like to book now rather than waiting and hoping we get the one we want from the cruise operator. Thanks for your help.

I just saw that Island Wings gets really good reviews?

Do you have any recommended vendors for a trip to Traitors Cove? I would like to book now rather than waiting and hoping we get the one we want from the cruise operator. Thanks for your help.

I just saw that Island Wings gets really good reviews?

Have used this company a couple of times and have nothing but good things to say. Wonderful owner/pilot, safe, with great itineraries.

So, I'm booking the heli/dog sledding on Skagway so that I have (maybe) another chance in Juneau in case it gets cancelled. So, now, my question is do I book 9:15 am or 2 pm? I have heard fog gets worse during the day but I have also heard of people with morning flites scrambling to get booked later in the day when the weather clears. I know it's a crap shoot but anyone want to offer advice? Thanks.

So, I'm booking the heli/dog sledding on Skagway so that I have (maybe) another chance in Juneau in case it gets cancelled. So, now, my question is do I book 9:15 am or 2 pm? I have heard fog gets worse during the day but I have also heard of people with morning flites scrambling to get booked later in the day when the weather clears. I know it's a crap shoot but anyone want to offer advice? Thanks.

I'd suggest booking your first opportunity. It is also important to figure out your entire day- area there other tours of interest you want to include. In that case, schedule where it fits your time best. No way to predict the weather conditions the day you are there.

As I already mentioned, it will be difficult to get another tour if yours is canceled, with needing 3 seats. But- have the 3 phone numbers available of the Juneau vendors and call immediately, if you want any chance of rebooking.

Thanks, I'm all over the re-booking. And Temesco has obviously said they would get us on in Juneau if at all possible if they cancel in Skagway. But I understand the re-booking is a long shot but want to at least give myself the chance.

Any advice on other Skagway excursions? I don't want to do the train as I don't think my 7 yo boys will stay interested long enough. I was looking at the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. I think it may work if we sign up for the earlier helicopter/dog sledding spot. Any experience with that? Or other suggestions.

Any advice on other Skagway excursions? I don't want to do the train as I don't think my 7 yo boys will stay interested long enough. I was looking at the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. I think it may work if we sign up for the earlier helicopter/dog sledding spot. Any experience with that? Or other suggestions.

Glacier Point is a raved about tour that is out of Haines, so it may not fit your schedule, verify the times in advance. for the afternoon run.

The Park Service visitor center is worth a stop. http://www.nps.gov/klgo http://www.skagway.com has an informative walking tour. With more energy :) I've enjoyed walking out to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reids Falls. walk one direction on Alaska so to go by the airport and school. move a block or two over the other way to get a different view of resident life. :)