Alaska Shore Excursions

jamyjoy

Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the NCL Pearl in September. This will be my second cruise in Alaska and am trying to figure out if it's worth my time (and money saved) booking thru companies other than the cruise ship. Researching the different excursions that I'd like to do, there are some differences in cost/length of excursions/size of groups, etc... These companies also guarantee returning to ship on time and have good cancellation policies. While I don't mind spending the $$, I also love getting a good deal.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone has ever booked excursions thru the Alaska Shore Excursions company. If so, what did you think? Would you go thru them again? Good or bad, any feedback is welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the NCL Pearl in September. This will be my second cruise in Alaska and am trying to figure out if it's worth my time (and money saved) booking thru companies other than the cruise ship. Researching the different excursions that I'd like to do, there are some differences in cost/length of excursions/size of groups, etc... These companies also guarantee returning to ship on time and have good cancellation policies. While I don't mind spending the $$, I also love getting a good deal.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone has ever booked excursions thru the Alaska Shore Excursions company. If so, what did you think? Would you go thru them again? Good or bad, any feedback is welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked one your with them in Juneau. Booked the Mendenhall ice tour. So excited for that. Cruising July 10 - 17. I've emailed back and fourth with them and they have been very prompt with responding right away. They said one or two guides will meet me in front of my ship when it docks. I chose this particular tour because I thought that touring the inside of a glacier cave is a once in a lifetime experience and this kind of experience isn't offered on the cruise ship. They do offer walking on glaciers, but not going inside. Although they told me entry in the caves is not guaranteed because they have to monitor if it's save to enter since the glacier is always receeeding. But I looked at all the reviews on trip advisor for this tour. Seems like everyone got to go inside. I only found one or two reviews that weren't allowed in, out of like the 100's of reviews lol.

Never would I ever book with any booking agent for my Alaska tours. I always book direct with the vendors. A lot can be said with dealing direct and getting accurate, information. All you are getting from booking agents is someone reading off a script,sometimes, having never set foot in Alaska. All offers are commission based only.

Poster 2 could have simply booked direct with Above and Beyond, who operate the tour.

I can't see how they would be much different than using the ship's excursion desk. Both are middlemen.

I booked my excursions directly.

Well this particular tour is taking us to the inside of a glacier cave, to me this is a once in a life time experience and none of the ships excursions offer this

Well this particular tour is taking us to the inside of a glacier cave, to me this is a once in a life time experience and none of the ships excursions offer this

Nobody said that you should book through the ship. They said that you could have booked directly with the vendor - Above and Beyond.

I also prefer booking directly whenever I can. I only book through the ship if it is the only way to book it (some vendors won't book you directly if they have a contract with the ship) or if there is a big advantage to doing so.

Nobody said that you should book through the ship. They said that you could have booked directly with the vendor - Above and Beyond.

I also prefer booking directly whenever I can. I only book through the ship if it is the only way to book it (some vendors won't book you directly if they have a contract with the ship) or if there is a big advantage to doing so.

Another vendor appears to be Liquid , although not/infrequently mentioned on this board, pretty unknown .

Above and Beyond is a long standing well run company, whom there is more information on.

But JP isn't responding to the OP, since that question IS about a booking agent, having nothing to do with that single booking for the cave tour.

This is one unclear thread.

Another vendor appears to be Liquid , although not/infrequently mentioned on this board, pretty unknown .

Above and Beyond is a long standing well run company, whom there is more information on.

But JP isn't responding to the OP, since that question IS about a booking agent, having nothing to do with that single booking for the cave tour.

This is one unclear thread.

If you type in Liquid Alaska tours in google and read the pages and pages of positive reviews on trip advisor.com you will see that this is also a long time run company that seems to be very popular and people seem to be very happy with this company. Do more research

How do you know which vendors your ship uses to compare the rates or the tours, some sound very similar?

How do you know which vendors your ship uses to compare the rates or the tours, some sound very similar?

Post what tour , most ship tours are well known who the vendors are. There are a lot of experienced posters on this board who can give you first hand information.

Post what tour , most ship tours are well known who the vendors are. There are a lot of experienced posters on this board who can give you first hand information.

I'm looking to book the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway, a seaplane in Misty Fjords in Ketchikan, and a whale watching cruise in ICP. Do you know these vendors BudgetQueen? I appreciate your help! :D

Misty trips are run by Pro Mech and Taquan, Whale watches out of Hoonah are run by Allen Marine. Glacier Point can reserve direct through here http://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/

This is the information for the cruise contracts.

There are multiple superior flight options independent out of Ketchikan, Cruise contractors don't let you out of the plane in the fjords and are tightly timed schedules. listings http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

There are 3 independent vendors out of Hoonah I have used. Allen Marine does use larger boats, with very nice upper viewing, and take more passengers. BUT some of those 6 packs that people claim are "better" in my opinion, aren't always. depends on the boat and sometimes the fellow passengers, :)

Both for NCL which tour companies do they use?

For Skagway, the White Pass Railroad & Yukon Excursion and for the Yukon Scenic Drive

For Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest and for the Alaska Whale & Rainforest Trail

Thinking about doing these but want to compare prices with the private tour companies as well.

Both for NCL which tour companies do they use?

For Skagway, the White Pass Railroad & Yukon Excursion and for the Yukon Scenic Drive

For Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest and for the Alaska Whale & Rainforest Trail

Thinking about doing these but want to compare prices with the private tour companies as well.

The White Pass bus trips have been with M&M and Frontier in the past. Of course the White Pass RR runs their own company.

Whale watches in Juneau are mostly by Allen Marine, a few with dolphin

Frankly, just my opinion, but all these are poor choices with a cruise shore excursion. Far superior with other choices, especially with the Skagway bus, and Mendenhall options.

The White Pass bus trips have been with M&M and Frontier in the past. Of course the White Pass RR runs their own company.

Frankly, just my opinion, but all these are poor choices with a cruise shore excursion. Far superior with other choices, especially with the Skagway bus, and Mendenhall options.

I've heard great things about FISHES whale watching company in icy strait point

I've gone out with them for almost 20 years. Have two runs with them coming up in May/June. They are excellent.

Every is saying how excellent they are. That's awesome! The owner Marjorie has been very good with responding with me emails and seems super nice. Like southeast sea kayaks though, she says she can't just book one person, so she put my name down and is going to let me know when others book. She is he reason why I am on this site. She told me about this site and suggest I set up a roll call to find others to share my charter.

If you type in Liquid Alaska tours in google and read the pages and pages of positive reviews on trip advisor.com you will see that this is also a long time run company that seems to be very popular and people seem to be very happy with this company. Do more research

Liquid Alaska is an actual tour company in Seward, Alaska that has been in business there for a number of years. However, they are a booking agent for the tours in SE Alaska. For example, Above and Beyond, a well-respected tour company in Juneau does the "canoe to a glacier" trip.

Liquid Alaska is an actual tour company in Seward, Alaska that has been in business there for a number of years. However, they are a booking agent for the tours in SE Alaska. For example, Above and Beyond, a well-respected tour company in Juneau does the "canoe to a glacier" trip.

Yes and liquid Alaska also offers a canoe to the glacier trip called the mednehall ice caves adventure tour

I have verified these are two companies, each running this tour. Both only doing this for 1 season. Liquid has no history and a skimpy web site- linked with their so called "Brewery Tour". ?

It's known Above and Beyond has been in operation for years running excellent tours. Their tour is also an hour longer.

I have verified these are two companies, each running this tour. Both only doing this for 1 season. Liquid has no history and a skimpy web site- linked with their so called "Brewery Tour". ?

It's known Above and Beyond has been in operation for years running excellent tours. Their tour is also an hour longer.

Wolfie just mentioned in the above post that liquid has been in business for years

Wolfie just mentioned in the above post that liquid has been in business for years

"business" as a booking agent. They have only done the tour-- Canoe at Mendenall -1 season, as I posted.

"business" as a booking agent. They have only done the tour-- Canoe at Mendenall -1 season, as I posted.

How do you know they only done the tour for one season? Have you spoken with them over the phone? I have

• 1 month later...

Which would you recommend for the Skagway bus trips?

Having just gotten back from my cruise, I can't think of a single reason to take a tour to Mendenhall Glacier. We were a group of 4 and took a taxi there and called for pickup when we wanted to come back to town. It was super easy and cheaper than any of those buses. It was on our time, not their schedule. There are trail maps at Mendenhall if you want to hike. We went to Nugget Falls and it was very easy to do on our own. If there are only 2 of you, the bus might be cheaper. I'm sure renting a car and seeing things would be quite easy as well. You aren't in a foreign country. It's still the USA.

We booked direct for all the tours we did. We did the Glacier Point Wildlife Safari and it was wonderful. The guides are mostly 20 somethings with degrees who don't want a real job yet. They live on the island where the tour is in a camp and are very knowledgeable. Most have done it multiple years. We did exactly the same tour as the cruise ship's package for $20 less.

We did the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Randy of Mountain Air. He was wonderful. He is the owner of his plane and docks with the more well known Michelle of Island Wings. Our group of 6 was able to be the only ones in his plane. We were able to be flexible and choose where to land on the fjords. He saw a bear and we landed in a cove and watched the bear munching down on grass. We saw several eagles there and also saw a seal swim by us almost up to the plane. We got out on the pontoons and watched all this while asking whatever questions we wanted. We could have gone to a dock or actually got out on land. This flexibility is why I like small and private tours.

My parents did WPYR and Emerald Lake by bus with Dyea Dave. They were very happy with their trip and were in a much smaller bus where they could stop often. They felt like it was a toss up for them between booking Dyea Dave or Chilcoot. Both were slightly cheaper than the ship's tour and they got a better experience.