MetroCard Question

subtchr

Hi, All!

I got a great deal of help on this forum when we took a Bermuda cruise from Cape Liberty seven years ago and did a whirlwind NYC tour the day before embarkation. Well, now we are cruising from Bayonne again, at the end of August! Our NYC day is shorter, and the 1-day all-inclusive transport pass we used in the city back then is no longer offered. But that's okay, because we just need a couple rides. I just wanted to ensure I am planning our day correctly when it comes to a MetroCard.

We land at EWR at 12:30 on a Wednesday, and are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station (on points). We will use the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and hope to be on the PATH to the WTC by 2:30 or so. Our plan is to visit the 9/11 sites, go up in the Freedom Tower (I'm thinking about a 5:00 reservation), then take the subway up to Times Square for a quick dinner and an 8:00 show. (I got tickets yesterday for "Come From Away" -- so excited!). Then the E train back to WTC and PATH back to Newark.

So for two of us, I just need a $22 MetroCard (4 legs x 2 people x $2.75), correct? So using this calculator, I should buy a $21.95 card when we get to the station?

34268253855_f5f7e99621.jpgMETROCARD by Sue, on Flickr

I'm planning to Uber or Lyft to the port the next day, and also to the airport when we disembark on a Saturday. Our flight is at 12:30 that day, and we will likely do self-disembark. I know that's not necessary with that flight time, but we did it for the first time for our December cruise in San Juan, and it was so easy and smooth (and we don't mind getting up early) that we plan to do it for every cruise. We really liked not having to put our luggage out the night before or find it the next morning.

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Edited by subtchr

You could walk to 33rd Street/6th Ave and take PATH to Journal Square and cross platform transfer to the Newark Train and save a fare. I don't know how able for you to walk from theater to 33rd Street Path Station and 8 fares covers what you posted.

You could walk to 33rd Street/6th Ave and take PATH to Journal Square and cross platform transfer to the Newark Train and save a fare. I don't know how able for you to walk from theater to 33rd Street Path Station and 8 fares covers what you posted.

Walking to New York Penn Station at 33rd and 8th to take NJ Transit back to Newark Penn Station (connected to the Hilton Penn Station) is also an option for $5.25/pp. It won't save money, but it will be faster and perhaps a more comfortable route late at night. If I remember correctly, it's a hike underground from the Chambers St "E" train station to the PATH Station platform, (get on the front of the E train). There are 4-5 trains/hour until 11:18 pm. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

Walking to New York Penn Station at 33rd and 8th to take NJ Transit back to Newark Penn Station (connected to the Hilton Penn Station) is also an option for $5.25/pp. It won't save money, but it will be faster and perhaps a more comfortable route late at night. If I remember correctly, it's a hike underground from the Chambers St "E" train station to the PATH Station platform, (get on the front of the E train). There are 4-5 trains/hour until 11:18 pm. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

Just to clarify - trains run until 1:22 am, just not as frequently.

Hi, All!

So for two of us, I just need a $22 MetroCard (4 legs x 2 people x $2.75), correct? So using this calculator, I should buy a $21.95 card when we get to the station?

34268253855_f5f7e99621.jpgMETROCARD by Sue, on Flickr

Two things that could throw off your calculation.

First, if you don't have a Metrocard already there is a $1 surcharge for a new card so don't forget to keep that in mind when filling your card up.

Second, you can use the Metrocard for PATH service so if you really are going to do PATH -> E -> E -> PATH then you can put that all on one Metrocard. Both PATH and MTA is 2.75/ride so you would need a $45 card (4 rides x 2 persons x 2.75 + 1 for the new card). There should be Metrocard kiosks at all PATH stations. Remember that Metrocard can be used on PATH but Smartlink cannot be used on the MTA subway.

4 x 2 x $2.75 = $22 plus $1 for the metrocard.

If the OP walks from the theater to PATH at 33rd St, they need 3 x 2 x $2.75 = $16.50 plus $1 for the metrocard.

If they want a late night train option, they should only buy 2 x 2 x $2.75 = $11 plus $1 for the metrocard. When they decide later, they either buy NJ Transit tickets for $11 (no metrocard option) or add the missing value to the metrocard.

If the OP walks from the theater to PATH at 33rd St, they need 3 x 2 x $2.75 = $16.50 plus $1 for the metrocard.

If they want a late night train option, they should only buy 2 x 2 x $2.75 = $11 plus $1 for the metrocard. When they decide later, they either buy NJ Transit tickets for $11 (no metrocard option) or add the missing value to the metrocard.

Thanks to all, especially for confirming my math above.

The screenshot I posted was directly from the MTA website, showing that the $1 card fee is canceled out by the $1.05 (5%) credit for purchasing more than $5.50 on a card (hence the $21.95 total). The screenshot shows those considerations.

I think rather than walk 12 blocks to Penn Station from the theater, we will likely do the E train route. That also lets us keep everything on one MetroCard. Thanks for the tip about getting on the front of the train. We will be out of the show before 10:00 (no intermission), so trains should still be frequent enough.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to stop in and let you know how it all went, and to ask any other questions before the trip!

Thanks to all, especially for confirming my math above.

The screenshot I posted was directly from the MTA website, showing that the $1 card fee is canceled out by the $1.05 (5%) credit for purchasing more than $5.50 on a card (hence the $21.95 total). The screenshot shows those considerations.

I think rather than walk 12 blocks to Penn Station from the theater, we will likely do the E train route. That also lets us keep everything on one MetroCard. Thanks for the tip about getting on the front of the train. We will be out of the show before 10:00 (no intermission), so trains should still be frequent enough.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to stop in and let you know how it all went, and to ask any other questions before the trip!

Sounds like a plan! Feedback about folks public transit experiences between NY and NJ are always useful. I've used PATH and the light rail several times to get to Cape Liberty with luggage. Next public transit adventure could be in January on Amtrak and PATH to the Courtyard in Jersey City and on to Cape Liberty.

Whoops. That'll teach me not to even look at the actual math :(

As to the various options, I think your choice of subway back to WTC is a good choice. You already will know where the entrances and exits are and you don't have to navigate Penn Station or transfer on the PATH system.

It's a good thing that you are coming in on Wednesday. The Subway has been a nightmare on the weekends with E running on the F line frequently.

Not checking if 50th is closer to the Theater than 42nd St, please note if you are using the 50th Street / 8th Ave subway stop the E stops on the lower level and the C stops on the upper level. Both stop at the same stations heading downtown except the last one on the E, C continues to Brooklyn and does not stop at World Trade Center but a little further north (uptown) at Chambers Street.

Not checking if 50th is closer to the Theater than 42nd St, please note if you are using the 50th Street / 8th Ave subway stop the E stops on the lower level and the C stops on the upper level. Both stop at the same stations heading downtown except the last one on the E, C continues to Brooklyn and does not stop at World Trade Center but a little further north (uptown) at Chambers Street.

Thanks for the warning! We have been to NYC just enough to THINK we know what we are doing. Hah. I also bring high school groups as a tour director a couple times a year, but we are usually in charter buses rather than using subways.

So tips like this are important! Theater is on 45th, so we will likely use the station on 42nd.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums