New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Here are a couple menus you can see.

Menus list for all venues: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

They are for all the meals in the Lido including the Late Night you ask about. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/

This one is for the 10 Day Caribbean (Late night snack is near the bottom): http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-caribbean-menus-2015/

Hope these help you out. We've discovered over the years that the menus do not change a great deal.

Joanie

Thank you

Well, checked in and on board the Noordam in Vancouver. We were turned away from the MDR for lunch even though there were people in there dining. Turned away after they checked what rooms we were in. Has the policy changed that only suites can dine there? I'm a previous HAL passenger as well.

We will be on that ship in June, and was looking forward to lunch in the MDR as a previous HAL guest. I'm a little leary about this cruise. We have been looking forward for so long, but as it gets closer, they are a few things going on that I don't like. We have a complimentary PG dinner. If you make reservations, you must pay for the dinner with a credit card. They may or may not let you use the complimentary dinner voucher. If you cancel the dinner, you will be charged at least 10%. Why don't they let you reserve like all other cruise lines and then pay for a no-show. Same with shore excursions. And.....we booked a 4 night land package, 2 nights in Denali....and were booked in a hotel 8 miles away from the much advertised McKinley Chalet Resort. Again, we were looking forward to the activities and dinning establishment in the new Denali Square.That was one of the main reasons we chose Hal over Princess. (After several phone calls over a 2 day period, we did get this rectified) We are not smooth sailing and we haven't even boarded the boat. HAL is going to have to WOW us.

I read somewhere else that its possible the pool will not be able to be used on the Eurodam the week of May 13 to Alaska? I hope they were wrong! Does anyone know anything about this? I understand the obvious turn off to the pool that is not covered and outside but what about the one that is under the cover? Wont it be like being inside? I really hope we have access to the pool that week, any info is helpful!

Ref. complimentary PG, usually will be an envelope in your cabin, in some instances they will have assigned you a day and time. you might have to call to make reservation. you will want to do this immediately, on many cruises the PG gets totally booked.

Felini, our CC posters have stated this is for everyone. On our Alaska cruise last July, in the daily program it was listed for Mariners, no one was checking. Is the lunch listed in your daily program? That might provide an explanation. Hope others will shed some light on this change. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Well, checked in and on board the Noordam in Vancouver. We were turned away from the MDR for lunch even though there were people in there dining. Turned away after they checked what rooms we were in. Has the policy changed that only suites can dine there? I'm a previous HAL passenger as well.

Felini, our CC posters have stated this is for everyone. On our Alaska cruise last July, in the daily program it was listed for Mariners, no one was checking. Is the lunch listed in your daily program? That might provide an explanation. Hope others will shed some light on this change. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I wasn't there, so this is only speculation: Sometimes, there is a travel agent or charity lunch that gets held in the main dining room, in which case nobody is given access there. It happens, but not very often. I've also read where sometimes the dining room gets so full for the embarkation lunch, they have to limit entrance to higher star Mariners. I would always ask the reason why I am denied access, and if not satisfied with the response, I would politely and pleasantly ask to speak to a dining room manager.

I read somewhere else that its possible the pool will not be able to be used on the Eurodam the week of May 13 to Alaska? I hope they were wrong! Does anyone know anything about this? I understand the obvious turn off to the pool that is not covered and outside but what about the one that is under the cover? Wont it be like being inside? I really hope we have access to the pool that week, any info is helpful!

Where did you read this? That would be most unusual. Both the covered and open pools are available to guests on Alaska cruises. The water temperature is quite pleasant. The Lido pool is the one with the retractable pool cover, and many people enjoy spending time there. The Lido cabanas are located there on the port side.

I do know there will be a group on your cruise; I have no idea how large it is. But while it's unlikely that the pools would be completely off-limits to you, perhaps they have scheduled a cocktail "pool party" for part of one evening, but that is pure guessing on my part.

Here's the group:

http://www.kxl.com/event/cruise-alaska/

is there any site we can visit to find out if there is a group on our cruise?

What is the underlying goal?

I ask because there are frequently groups on cruises, but those sailing may not be aware they're in a group. While affinity groups (common interest/traveling together) are not uncommon, it's also common for an agency to get a block of rooms that they can push for extra perks.

I don't think HAL (or other lines) would share this. You could google the dates and find if an affinity group was advertised somewhere. Otherwise you'll find that some sailings, by some agencies (and others in their corsortia) may have different perks than other - this is often because of a group.

is there any site we can visit to find out if there is a group on our cruise?

You can check below, where I have linked the most recent thread on the topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430548

That said, I believe you're cruising to Alaska on Oosterdam in September, and after doing a cursory internet search, I can't find any mention of a group on your cruise. Most affinity groups go to Alaska in June, July, or August.

What is the underlying goal?

I ask because there are frequently groups on cruises, but those sailing may not be aware they're in a group. While affinity groups (common interest/traveling together) are not uncommon, it's also common for an agency to get a block of rooms that they can push for extra perks.

I don't think HAL (or other lines) would share this. You could google the dates and find if an affinity group was advertised somewhere. Otherwise you'll find that some sailings, by some agencies (and others in their corsortia) may have different perks than other - this is often because of a group.

I ask only because I'm curious. Heck, I wouldn't even cancel if I found out Rob Gronkowski had rented half the ship as he did last year or the year before.

Is there a happy hour on the Veendam? What time/times? Thanks

You'll find Happy Hour on all the HAL ships at one time or another, except on the first night. The times and lounges will be posted in the daily program; it can vary from ship to ship, and cruise to cruise.

What is a beverage card? I feel dumb asking, but it isn't clear to me. Thanks.

A beverage card is a one-time payment to purchase an equal amount in various beverages; both alcoholic and non-alcoholic are included.

There is no bonus amount, but it does simplify checking your bill at the end of the cruise. There is only the one charge, instead of each drink being tabulated separately.

You can purchase the cards in $50, $100, and $250 amounts.

We noticed the speeds of the Internet are faster when lots of folks are using it. Learned to use it early morning or perhaps when most are eating, etc.

hi as an update to our question we were dumbfounded how fast we were able to accomplish what we had to do. Maybe just lucky, but we're finished in 6 minutes. I had bought the 110 minute package just to be sure. Wasted the rest of it facebooking!!

Ref. complimentary PG, usually will be an envelope in your cabin, in some instances they will have assigned you a day and time. you might have to call to make reservation. you will want to do this immediately, on many cruises the PG gets totally booked.

We got the complimentary PG dinner as part of the Explore4. However, I understand that is only for 2 people in the cabin. Our son is in the cabin with us. How do I get him added to the reservation?

And if HAL schedules us for an evening when we have an excursion booked, I assume we can reschedule? What happens if PG is fully booked? Do you lose your complimentary PG or is there some type of credit?

One cruise we waited until the morning after boarding to book PG. Big mistake! Even though PG was complimentary the entire cruise for dinner was completely booked. They did offer us a lunch, which was certainly better than the Lido, not quite the same as a dinner. Free does not mean guaranteed !.

We got the complimentary PG dinner as part of the Explore4. However, I understand that is only for 2 people in the cabin. Our son is in the cabin with us. How do I get him added to the reservation?

And if HAL schedules us for an evening when we have an excursion booked, I assume we can reschedule? What happens if PG is fully booked? Do you lose your complimentary PG or is there some type of credit?

As soon as you see you reservation date/time on Embarkation Day, go to the PG Bar (across from the PG) where you will find a podium for those making/changing reservations and make the change if possible. Your son can just go with you during your reservation, be seated with you, and charged the full price for his meal.

I did make dinner reservations for PG, hoping to use my complimentary Explore 4 voucher. Unfortunately you are charged the full price of your dinner on your credit card. Has anyone done this? and did they refund your money when you cancelled? Was there a cancellation fee imposed?

Second question? Are there laundry facilities on the Noordam?

I did make dinner reservations for PG, hoping to use my complimentary Explore 4 voucher. Unfortunately you are charged the full price of your dinner on your credit card. Has anyone done this? and did they refund your money when you cancelled? Was there a cancellation fee imposed?

Second question? Are there laundry facilities on the Noordam?

I have paid in advance to get the times/days I wanted when my dinner carried no charge (similar circumstance, but not identical); my payment was refunded. Sometimes I had to merely ask, while another time I had to "discuss it" ;) just a bit.

There is no cancellation fee.

Noordam has no do it yourself laundry facilities, other than the sink in your bathroom.

You can send things out, paying either by the piece, per bag, or unlimited throughout the entire cruise.

I have paid in advance to get the times/days I wanted when my dinner carried no charge (similar circumstance, but not identical); my payment was refunded. Sometimes I had to merely ask, while another time I had to "discuss it" ;) just a bit.

Noordam has no do it yourself laundry facilities, other than the sink in your bathroom.

You can send things out, paying either by the piece, per bag, or unlimited throughout the entire cruise.

I think we may need to do that, to use our complimentary PG dinner. Who did you speak to about getting your payment refunded please Ruth?

Thank You. I'm kind of glad there are no laundry facilities, now I have to send the clothes out!