Spring break cruise from northeast: questions

coolcruiser777

My family and I are looking at Spring break cruises for next year. When we have done cruises not during the Summer, we have always flown to a more southern port, so I have no idea how winter/spring cruises work when they come from the North. My question is that if we decide to go out of NYC or Baltimore for a seven day cruise to the Caribbean during the last week of March, how useable are the outdoor parts of the ship? For example, pools, outdoor activities, etc. I was also wondering if it is worth getting a balcony.

Chances are the outdoor pool areas won't get much use until you get into the caribbean...where the weather will be warmer.

As far as your question about a balcony...that's a decision for you to decide. Personally we always book a balcony...even on cooler itineraries it's nice to have that quiet personal space to enjoy.

My family and I are looking at Spring break cruises for next year. When we have done cruises not during the Summer, we have always flown to a more southern port, so I have no idea how winter/spring cruises work when they come from the North. My question is that if we decide to go out of NYC or Baltimore for a seven day cruise to the Caribbean during the last week of March, how useable are the outdoor parts of the ship? For example, pools, outdoor activities, etc. I was also wondering if it is worth getting a balcony.

Our last March cruise that left from Baltimore was freezing! We didn't warm up until we were sailing near Florida. :(

Main pool had the roof closed- so while there were people in it, the water was pretty chilly and most folks just crammed into the hot tub (which made for a not so nice hot tub experience). Slides were closed due to wind.

But having said that- Baltimore and NYC weather are very unpredictable. For example- on March 26th, 2014 the weather in Baltimore was 36 degrees. On March 26th, 2015- the weather was 74 degrees. Our saying here in Maryland is "If you don't like the weather right now, just wait an hour and it will change!" LOL!!

If I had the choice, I would fly south and leave from there. If I absolutely had to leave from NYC or Baltimore I would because hey, you're on a cruise, right? , But just go with the expectation that you may not have warm weather until you reach Georgia/Florida waters.

Whatever you decide- enjoy your cruise!! :D

To get to the Caribbean from New York, you need to think 10 days - the 7 day itineraries are just to the Bahamas -- which are a lot warmer than the northeast in March, but may still be a bit cool for swimming.

On a number of winter (January and February) sailings from New York, we were in the 70 degree waters of the Gulf Stream by early afternoon of the first sea day. Do not believe the negative posts from the uninformed about "two cold days each way".

• 2 weeks later...

It appears your only option for a 7 day Caribbean cruise during the last week of March 2018 would be on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. It makes two port calls in the Bahamas and one in Grand Turk. All other Caribbean cruises are more than 7 days.

I have cruised out of Bayonne in January in both 2016 and 2017. On the first sea day on one of those cruises, the temperature was in the 60s. It was a pleasant surprise; the point being...no one can forecast the weather.

OP, first - I would suggest look at your overall package costs for sailing out of the N.E. (NYC) for next Spring, air travel, overnight lodging pre-cruise, port parking fees if driving or hotel transfer can really add up to easily 50% or more of your base cruise fares ... NOVA is within easy driving distance of NYC, coming up the night before? Any plans to sightsee in the city? Plan your airports for NYC carefully as that can be a big surprise about ground transfer costs & complexity.

As far as itineraries, for next March & April - 7 days would likely get you only Port Canaveral and Nassau, with Great Stirrup Cay (if sailing NYC ships w. a tender port/stop at their private island) - it will not GET you to the Caribbeans, not East, not West nor South on a 7 or even 8 days with NCL ... maybe Carnival, if they are doing this at all (you will need to check). Prices around Spring break will be sky-high and always sold out, with various school districts having somewhat different schedules for their recess, not to mention Canadians coming across the northern border.

Weatherwise - as others from this noted (and, we've done these 7 days in mid February, March, April and even May - and while it's sometimes cold or chilly within the first 18 to 24 hours of embarkation - it warmed up pretty quickly once down in the Carolinas, depending on mother nature - on the southbound trip, pools are heated and folks are out sunbathing and swimming ... trying, in overcrowded pools, 1 recent report of 1,500+ "kids" onboard the Breakaway last month. Day 6 is usually still warm but last Sea Day, or day 7 will likely have temp's going lower - fleece jacket weather or at least a windbreaker, but some will still be in their shorts in the morning.

Your choices and options for a 7 days, whether it's the Bahamas and/or Caribbeans are superior & much broader if you sail out of Florida, at lower prices - with better odds for good weather, and likely visiting 3 to 4 ports as nautical miles are far less for the ships to sail to/from.

Grand Turk is CCL's private island with its own pier, it's nice and we liked it, if you sail out of BWI - but the other 2 stops in the Bahamas, not too exciting unless you've never been there. And, the ship will be spending time getting out into the open Atlantic & back in, via the MD-VA Bay or channel.

Prioritize what's important to you and folks here doing these "milky runs" can advise further - we do these 7 days out of convenience. The only other destination would be Bermuda but the season doesn't start until early/mid-April ... once there, docked at Royal Naval Dockyard for 1 to 2 days, maybe 2.5 days if it's a 7 day itinerary.