Movies on Oosterdam?

SeaNStars4Me

Different movies every day, and sometime different ones during the same day - need to check the daily printed schedules closely to see when they offer what. Often they are topical to the area being visited, or even some fairly first run ones. Plus there are movie DVDs to play in your cabin, choosing from a fairly long list. .

We were on the Oosterdam in November & December for 21 days. After the 2016 drydock, they have eliminated the in-cabin DVD players and the DVD loaner system at the front desk. They now have a totally digital system where everything is an on-demand basis, except for the live TV channels. They have a very extensive collection of all types of movies, some TV series, and some PBS series. Most movies that they advertise in the daily program which will be shown in the theater will be on the in-cabin TV movie list the next day. There are exception to this, and the Front Desk's reasoning is that some of the theater movies are supplied on DVD's and the AV staff cannot upload a DVD into the video server that has all of the in-cabin TV movies. In addition to the recorded stuff, they have some live channels, depending on the quality of satellite reception. The have the usual cable news channels, CNBC, MSNBC, FOX News, BBC World Service, ESPN and ESPN-2 and others. Note that they do not have any of the US major TV broadcast networks anymore (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, NBC). They also have bow and stern cameras, and a ship position channel and weather channel for your present position and future port forecasts.

We found the on-demand movies are a big improvement over the DVD lending library. However, over a 21 day cruise, they did not make many changes to the movies offered, except the addition of the theater movies the day after they were shown..

If I read correctly there is a rerun channel with yesterday's theater offering so each day that channel is the prior day's theater and you have one chance (the next day) to see in cabin?

We were on the Oosterdam in November & December for 21 days. After the 2016 drydock, they have eliminated the in-cabin DVD players and the DVD loaner system at the front desk. They now have a totally digital system where everything is an on-demand basis, except for the live TV channels. They have a very extensive collection of all types of movies, some TV series, and some PBS series. Most movies that they advertise in the daily program which will be shown in the theater will be on the in-cabin TV movie list the next day. There are exception to this, and the Front Desk's reasoning is that some of the theater movies are supplied on DVD's and the AV staff cannot upload a DVD into the video server that has all of the in-cabin TV movies. In addition to the recorded stuff, they have some live channels, depending on the quality of satellite reception. The have the usual cable news channels, CNBC, MSNBC, FOX News, BBC World Service, ESPN and ESPN-2 and others. Note that they do not have any of the US major TV broadcast networks anymore (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, NBC). They also have bow and stern cameras, and a ship position channel and weather channel for your present position and future port forecasts.

We found the on-demand movies are a big improvement over the DVD lending library. However, over a 21 day cruise, they did not make many changes to the movies offered, except the addition of the theater movies the day after they were shown..

No DVD in room player? DARN! I was hoping to bring a movie series (aka Marathon) in case I couldn't stand the available on demand or library offerings. We are on the Westerdam which is scheduled for dry dock in a month.

If I read correctly there is a rerun channel with yesterday's theater offering so each day that channel is the prior day's theater and you have one chance (the next day) to see in cabin?

There's a category New Movies. The previous days theater movie is added there each day and stays available for the entire week.

No DVD in room player? DARN! I was hoping to bring a movie series (aka Marathon) in case I couldn't stand the available on demand or library offerings. We are on the Westerdam which is scheduled for dry dock in a month.

All ships in the fleet have been going through upgrades. The new flat screen TV's are now mounted on the wall near the foot of your bed (in veranda cabins) and they are mounted very firmly, so I was unable to see if there were any USB or other input jacks available. But even if there was, the remote control is unique to their system and it doesn't allow any switching of input sources. So, even trying to use a laptop to play DVD;s into the TV will not work.

The movie selection is very good, all types and genres. Most (but not all) movies that are shown in the theater will be on the "New Movies" tab of the on-screen menus the next day. Once there, they remain for the entire length of your cruise.

• 1 month later...
All ships in the fleet have been going through upgrades. The new flat screen TV's are now mounted on the wall near the foot of your bed (in veranda cabins) and they are mounted very firmly, so I was unable to see if there were any USB or other input jacks available. But even if there was, the remote control is unique to their system and it doesn't allow any switching of input sources. So, even trying to use a laptop to play DVD;s into the TV will not work.

The movie selection is very good, all types and genres. Most (but not all) movies that are shown in the theater will be on the "New Movies" tab of the on-screen menus the next day. Once there, they remain for the entire length of your cruise.

Thanks for the good response

Does anybody know what movie is playing in the Movie Theater on the Oosterdam right now? (Crusing next week)

Also do they just sow 1 movie in the theater the whole cruise or is it different each night?

Thanks.

On NA last week, "Hidden Figures" was such a popular movie that it was shown in the screening room on three separate days. I did not see it offered on the on-demand system in the cabin though.

If the Screening Room is set up the same on Oosterdam as it is on Zuiderdam, there are not a lot of seats.

We tried 2 or 3 times to get into the theater to see movies while on our cruise and all but one time the seats were completely full...45-50 minutes BEFORE the movie started.

Its one area of the ship I think is a miss with respect to seating...the big theater seats are nice, but there are designs that can be just as comfortable that would allow more people to be in that space.

Thankfully the movies were repeated the next day in the stateroom so my husband ended up viewing his choices there, while I was at the spa.

On NA last week, "Hidden Figures" was such a popular movie that it was shown in the screening room on three separate days. I did not see it offered on the on-demand system in the cabin though.

We were on the Oosterdam for 21 days last December. There were a few, maybe 3, movies that were in the theater but did not show up on the TV's in the "New Releases" tab of the menus. The Front desk checked with the AV department and said that some of the movies they get for the theater are on DVD, not a digital file, so they have no way to convert that DVD to an MP4 or .AVI file, or whatever format they use and upload it to the in-room movie server. Seems pretty simple, but at this time they can't do it.