MSC changed room after booking?

JPMoore

Hi all,

I mentioned this as a side note in a previous thread of mine on status matching, but wondered if anyone had experience of MSC changing their given cabin number after booking?

I booked through Iglu in early February to cruise on MSC Divina's 7-night Western Caribbean itinerary on 04/11/2017. We were originally allocated a midships Deck 12 Inside Fantastica (12081...?), a location we asked for as previous experience of sickness warned me against a forward or aft cabin! This cabin showed on our MSC website booking information for nearly two months, until it was suddenly changed to an Inside Fantastica cabin on Deck 11... the furthest possible forward just behind the suites!

Having spoken to my TA, he thought this was quite strange and contacted MSC, who were only able to tell him that we had been moved for 'operational reasons', and advised to call back in a week or so. I did, and now all Inside cabins are sold out across all categories and so it seems that at this time a stateroom change isn't possible. Again, TA thought this was very strange as from his experience Inside's tend to be the last to sell, especially on a Caribbean itinerary. He suggested a possible large group booking.

Presently, we're in a bit of a limbo state where the TA has simply said to try contacting again in a few weeks time to see if anything has changed, but until then, I wondered if this seemed strange to anyone else? Whilst I know that MSC (as so most cruise lines) reserve the right to change the cabin number, the fact that this was done so suddenly without notification or communication seems a bit odd.

Hi all,

I mentioned this as a side note in a previous thread of mine on status matching, but wondered if anyone had experience of MSC changing their given cabin number after booking?

I booked through Iglu in early February to cruise on MSC Divina's 7-night Western Caribbean itinerary on 04/11/2017. We were originally allocated a midships Deck 12 Inside Fantastica (12081...?), a location we asked for as previous experience of sickness warned me against a forward or aft cabin! This cabin showed on our MSC website booking information for nearly two months, until it was suddenly changed to an Inside Fantastica cabin on Deck 11... the furthest possible forward just behind the suites!

Having spoken to my TA, he thought this was quite strange and contacted MSC, who were only able to tell him that we had been moved for 'operational reasons', and advised to call back in a week or so. I did, and now all Inside cabins are sold out across all categories and so it seems that at this time a stateroom change isn't possible. Again, TA thought this was very strange as from his experience Inside's tend to be the last to sell, especially on a Caribbean itinerary. He suggested a possible large group booking.

Presently, we're in a bit of a limbo state where the TA has simply said to try contacting again in a few weeks time to see if anything has changed, but until then, I wondered if this seemed strange to anyone else? Whilst I know that MSC (as so most cruise lines) reserve the right to change the cabin number, the fact that this was done so suddenly without notification or communication seems a bit odd.

Not only MSC but all cruise line can do it. Its not that often but happens. Main reason - you are party of 2 booked cabin for 4 people or you booked handicap cabin .

Not only MSC but all cruise line can do it. Its not that often but happens. Main reason - you are party of 2 booked cabin for 4 people or you booked handicap cabin .

I'd thought both of those as a possibility, but nope! On paper it's a like for like move, but in reality it isn't.

We've been upgraded a couple of times - without any notice, too. Strange that yours was just a sideways move without any seeming sense to it!

Good to know! When I first went on my MSC booking and noticed the change I thought 'yay!', but after looking realised it was a completely horizontal move - although the cabin is now right at the front of the ship.

Not sure how to play it really. Either wait as the TA said and see if any more Inside cabins become available, or get on to MSC...

Just want to add: I really hope that I'm not coming across as a whinger! I'm more curious than anything.

Good to know! When I first went on my MSC booking and noticed the change I thought 'yay!', but after looking realised it was a completely horizontal move - although the cabin is now right at the front of the ship.

Not sure how to play it really. Either wait as the TA said and see if any more Inside cabins become available, or get on to MSC...

Just want to add: I really hope that I'm not coming across as a whinger! I'm more curious than anything.

Certainly didn't sound like it to me. In fact, I sympathise with you as you're concerned about seasickness and chose a cabin position for that reason. I hope it can be sorted or, if not, that you won't have any problems in the newly assigned cabin.

Certainly didn't sound like it to me. In fact, I sympathise with you as you're concerned about seasickness and chose a cabin position for that reason. I hope it can be sorted or, if not, that you won't have any problems in the newly assigned cabin.

N'aw, thanks! I'll keep the thread updated if there are any updates. I'm sure I can't be the only person that this has happened/may happen to?

I've just double checked deck plans, and what's actually happened is the opposite! Our original cabin was for two guests, whereas the one we've been moved to has space for 3rd and 4th guests.

Are MSC supplying us with some extra friends? :P

Could you give us the cabin numbers so we can examine the advantages...the number you gave in your original post is a Bella balcony...EM

My apologies! The original cabin was 12182, and we have been moved to 11014. Interested to hear what you think.

The good news is that you went from one of the small insides, to one of the larger insides. The tradeoff is two upper bunks. I have two pictures of inside quads, and one has the bunks on the side walls, the other they are in the ceiling. I can't begin to guess what the difference is. EM

It's happened to me twice on MSC. The first time I was able to get my original cabin back, after much back and forth with MSC. The second time I ended up cancelling the cruise because I was not happy with the move. Both times the cabins were in the same category, but in less desireable locations. Neither was a quad or a handicapped.

It's happened to me twice on MSC. The first time I was able to get my original cabin back, after much back and forth with MSC. The second time I ended up cancelling the cruise because I was not happy with the move. Both times the cabins were in the same category, but in less desireable locations. Neither was a quad or a handicapped.

JPMoore we agree with above but first of all I would get rid of the TA for lack of service. By all means cancel if you think you might be sick with the cabin they gave you. TA should have resolved this rather than telling you to wait.

The good news is that you went from one of the small insides, to one of the larger insides. The tradeoff is two upper bunks. I have two pictures of inside quads, and one has the bunks on the side walls, the other they are in the ceiling. I can't begin to guess what the difference is. EM

Thanks for letting me know! So in theory it's an 'upgrade', aside from my concern about the change in position.

Thanks everyone for your advice - I've emailed MSC directly (against my TA's 'advice') so will see what they say.

N'aw, thanks! I'll keep the thread updated if there are any updates. I'm sure I can't be the only person that this has happened/may happen to?

I think this is one of the few minus points booking with MSC

We booked a Bella balcony cabin ....low deck...midship...2 berth cabin last September on the Splendida. I booked that cabin because I "suffer" from motion sickness so position of cabin is important to me and also the Bella cabins come with a bath

They "upgraded " us to a Fantastica cabin on deck 11 towards the front....Fantastica positioned cabin but no Fantastica benefits so for me it was no "upgrade whatsoever...in fact it was a downgrade. After a lot of insisting...I really wanted my original cabin back but that was a total no no....couldn't possibly downgrade me back to Bella they said...I managed to get back on a lower deck more towards mid ship.

I never did fathom out why they had moved us....you can't possibly put more than 2 people in a 2 berth cabin...I even suggested they gave the "upgrade" the the new occupants of our original cabin and for us to do a swap with them. That suggestion also was a no no..

I think booking with MSC you have to be aware that whatever cabin number you book you can be swapped about for no apparent reason

It is clearly stated in MSC booking conditions that your cabin number can change up until embarkation. They cannot however downgrade your cabin.

Annie

I completely get that. In this instance would you regard this as a downgrade?

I'm not sure about your situation, but both times they moved me it was from Bella to Bella and Fantastica to Fantastica, so no upgrade in category. For me it was a downgrade since I had picked my original locations because of the size of the balcony and the location on the ship. Both times they moved me to less desireable locations with absolutely no reason. The first time I got my original cabin back, but the second time they only offered me a $50 OBC and I said no thanks. With MSC as far as I'm concerned it's buyer beware.

Yes, we were upset last December when MSC changed our Splendida interior stateroom to a balcony stateroom. Don't they know that balcony staterooms are gateway drugs leading to suites? ;-)

Ha! I'm finding it hard to sympathise ;)

I've just double checked deck plans, and what's actually happened is the opposite! Our original cabin was for two guests, whereas the one we've been moved to has space for 3rd and 4th guests.

Are MSC supplying us with some extra friends? :P

;p LOL

Delighted to hear this! :D Well done on chasing it up.

Thank you! I must say, seeing the other thread regarding the upgrade to the Aurea Suite, I've been bitten by the jealousy bug ;) Very much looking forward to my holiday, and thanks again all for your advice.