Sea Sickness on the Viking Star Ocean Cruise?

lzag

I am prone to motion sickness but I am excited about trying out one of the Viking Ocean cruise ship for a Norway trip on the Viking star and was wondering what others have experienced . Curious to know if so you feel more motion on these smaller ships than the Celebrity and Princess boats. Should I be concerned about getting seasick on this Norwegian cruise?

thanks so much, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

I am prone to motion sickness but I am excited about trying out one of the Viking Ocean cruise ship for a Norway trip on the Viking star and was wondering what others have experienced . Curious to know if so you feel more motion on these smaller ships than the Celebrity and Princess boats. Should I be concerned about getting seasick on this Norwegian cruise?

thanks so much, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

No cruise line can guarantee completely smooth sailing.

Read deec's post about their recent experience in the Bay of Biscay. It gives a first hand report about the ship handles in high seas.

We take meclizine daily on a cruise whether we need it or not. We unexpectedly hit a hurricane one time. We didn't get sick but most of the ship and some crew members did. It is non drowsy unlike dramamine. The brand name is called Bonine but you can usually pick it behind the counter at Target MUCH cheaper for more pills. I just picked up my last bottle on Amazon which was the same exact brand as I get at Target. We both take the attitude, better safe than sorry. That attitude certainly saved us on that one cruise.

We take meclizine daily on a cruise whether we need it or not. We unexpectedly hit a hurricane one time. We didn't get sick but most of the ship and some crew members did. It is non drowsy unlike dramamine. The brand name is called Bonine but you can usually pick it behind the counter at Target MUCH cheaper for more pills. I just picked up my last bottle on Amazon which was the same exact brand as I get at Target. We both take the attitude, better safe than sorry. That attitude certainly saved us on that one cruise.

I can't take even take Bonine; it knocks me on my butt. I only take it if I absolutely have to. And it has side effects for the geriatric population as well.

I can't take even take Bonine; it knocks me on my butt. I only take it if I absolutely have to. And it has side effects for the geriatric population as well.

I always advise to try anything BEFORE leaving home.....just in case, LOL. Definitely pills affect people different ways. For most, it is non drowsy.

I am a seasick queen and super sensitive to Bonnie etc so on a recent cruise I tried the ReliefBand and was amazed! It is a watch shaped gizmo that sends an electrical pulse to the underside of your wrist. You calibrate the strength of the electrical pulse.

This was years ago and the ship was off of Canada in the North Atlantic (near where the Titanic sank) and the storm had the ship rocking and rolling. I remember laying in bed hearing the deck furniture bang into the sliding glass door and then into the glass railing over and over again.

Most folks were laying low and looking green - I was in the dining room enjoying my dinner. The ReliefBand worked like a charm and you can put it on AFTER you start to feel queasy and it interrupts the nausea feeling.

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it. It goes with me on every cruise just in case.

Thank you for your comments. Curious to know anyone's thoughts about the Viking Ocean Cruise ships. Are they as stable as the larger ships like the Celebrity Equinox size ships or the Princess ships? I don't usually have an issue on these larger ships but I was just concerned about the smaller 900 passenger Viking ships that sail around Norway.

Back to your original question......we were on the Star last July for the Baltic cruise. You are on very little open water. We felt no motion issues on that cruise. I realize that the weather is different every cruise but I think the chances of motion sickness would certainly be much less on this cruise than on others. I too have experienced motion sickness on other trips but not on the Star. We also sailed the Star her first transatlantic crossing in February from San Juan to Barcelona. Smooth waters the whole way!