Will Royal ever put any of their newer ships on the west coast?

Do you think any of the newer classes of ships will be going to Alaska or mexico in the next couple years?

NCL is sending their new ship through the canal and up to Alaska next year, so RCI could follow suit.

The newer ships are all too big to fit through the Panama canal so they would likely want to winter the ships in Australia (like Explorer, Radiance and in the past Rhapsody). But if it is wintering in Australia and a new ship they are more likely to alternate with China. That is how Australia is getting the Ovation (and the Majestic Princess for that matter), brand new ships that alternate with China.

I believe they can fit in the new lock, but they are too tall for the bridges.

I am surprised Ovation did not replace Explorer in Alaska since it has more indoor space and is more environmentally friendly.

I believe they can fit in the new lock, but they are too tall for the bridges.

I am surprised Ovation did not replace Explorer in Alaska since it has more indoor space and is more environmentally friendly.

True, they all can fit in the new locks, the Quantum class are the only ones that can clear the Bridge of Americas.

You don't need to go through the Panama Canal to get a ship here. When they brought the Mariner of the Seas, they merely did a cruise around South America. For NOW, they just choose not to bring any ship here. They are afraid of the stories of crime and violence in Mexico hurting sales, the higher cost of California's environmental laws and then there is the notion they can make more money basing ships in China.

Of course, none of that scares away Carnival or Princess, so they are conceding the Western US markets to Carnival Corp., also allowing Carnival to build brand loyalty with most new Western cruisers. Were I running RCI, I would base at least one ship in Los Angeles--of ANY size--just to break up the Carnival monopoly and earn customer loyalty--which would also help sales elsewhere.

For example, when they sold the Celebrity Century, at the time X's oldest and smallest ship, out of the chain, I would, instead, have just placed it in Los Angeles and run alternating 3, 4 and 7 night cruises to Mexico and "California Coastals"...which would have easily given Princess a run for its money. I was on a Century cruise during it's last season in Australia/ New Zealand and the ship was still very nice...and easily comparable if not superior to most of the Princess ships I've been on. I don't think it would have hurt them to keep it and run it here just for that foothold in the market.

And, of course, just because right now, the Asia market seems more profitable and the Mexico market raises some questions, that doesn't mean it will remain that way forever. Economies turn around, local situations change. Frankly, some places in the Caribbean they regularly cruise to are bigger crime risks than the Mexican ports.

Maybe another thing that shapes this situation is that RCI execs live in Miami, Princess execs live in Southern California. Perhaps they have a different perspective of the markets. There are over 40 million people in California. Another 7 million plus in Arizona. 3 million each in Nevada and in Utah. Over 4 million in Oregon. Over 7 million in Washington. 12 million plus more in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado. Almost 80 million people in the Western US, not even counting Hawaii, Alaska, Western Canada and those who cruise in Baja California (and, yes, I have met several on cruises out of LA over the years).

Since we live in AZ 75% of our cruises have been out of a west port. We would definitely support a RCCL ship based there.

Many People on CC have stated this in the past. Many People asked for years to get a bigger and newer ship to the West coast. RCI finally did it with the Mariner and got burnt with that decision.

I don´t say there is no market at all, but California is not where they make the most Money right now. The hot markets right now are in Asia, especially the Chinese market. Can this Change again? For sure, but California will hardly ever be a big bucks cruise market. Alaska, yep that will work always work in the summertime, some Californa coastal ones thrown in as well. Mexico I believe is more dead than the dead beaten horse and if at all it mostly would attrack a limited Population in California and mostly for short Weekend hops. Hardly a Business case for RCI, especially when the competitor is already there. It would just further destroy Prices for all.

If I´d run RCCL I´d not send a ship there for any lengthy time and as a shareholder I´m glad that the exec´s obviously think the same.

that sounds great but could you imagine the wait list. I think everyone on board would like to be on the North star to view the glacier.

A simple service charge fee would take care of that wait list.

EDIT: Whoops, I see Biker beat me to it on this one.

York, who is going to crawl back into his corner now.

that sounds great but could you imagine the wait list. I think everyone on board would like to be on the North star to view the glacier.

No wait list, they would charge $50 per person.