San Juan Check-in and luggage

frayedend

I've sailed out of San Juan before on Valor. I recall waiting in line outside the terminal to check in, with our luggage. I'm not exactly sure when or where we gave them our luggage but I think it was outside on the way in to the terminal? Anyhow our check in time is 1:00 PM. I'd like to drop the luggage earlier if possible so we can just go get some local food for lunch. Is that possible? We hopefully will only have carry-on size spinners but it would be easier not to lug them around.

Yes, before we even checked in, a porter came to take our luggage from the taxi. We could have chosen then to explore Old San Juan, but we decided to check in, and after boarding went to our cabin to check it out. Check-in was super easy and we were on the boat by around 1 or so. We were back to hit the pavement in San Juan around 2. I've heard that the boat doesn't get full quickly as many locals come late since the boat leaves at night (about 50% of the passengers were from PR).

You didn't read my question did you. Hehe :)

Of course, you can drop your luggage and leave to eat, or go on board, then leave again to eat.

The luggage, as at every port, can be dropped before you actually decide to check in and go aboard. The additional benefit at San Juan is you can go ahead and board, get rid of carry one and get back off, if desired.

Of course, you can drop your luggage and leave to eat, or go on board, then leave again to eat.

The luggage, as at every port, can be dropped before you actually decide to check in and go aboard. The additional benefit at San Juan is you can go ahead and board, get rid of carry one and get back off, if desired.

We are Platinum, so we plan to do just that! We plan to get there before 11, drop off our carry-ons in our room, and get out and tour old San Juan. I think it is pretty neat you can get on and off the ship as soon as you embark! We cruised from San Juan 22 years ago, and did not understand you could do this. Thanks to cruise critic and all the helpful comments, we have learned a lot about the process!

I've sailed out of San Juan before on Valor. I recall waiting in line outside the terminal to check in, with our luggage. I'm not exactly sure when or where we gave them our luggage but I think it was outside on the way in to the terminal? Anyhow our check in time is 1:00 PM. I'd like to drop the luggage earlier if possible so we can just go get some local food for lunch. Is that possible? We hopefully will only have carry-on size spinners but it would be easier not to lug them around.

Unfortunately it rained the day we embarked and we found out the hard way, via soaked and ruined luggage, that they don't store the luggage in a covered area and if it is not loaded promptly is exposed to the elements.

Unfortunately it rained the day we embarked and we found out the hard way, via soaked and ruined luggage, that they don't store the luggage in a covered area and if it is not loaded promptly is exposed to the elements.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :) Thanks for this tip MedTech! If it rains we'll make other plans. :)