Connect computer DVD to in room TV

dockman

I see that regular rooms on Golden Princess do not have DVD players.

Does anyone know if the TV require an S video cable or an HDMI cable in order for me to play movies from my computer onto the TV screen?

I don't suppose princess will loan you the needed cable so need to bring my own?

Thanks for advice

Riclop's answer is unfair. People are entitled to spend their time anyway they choose on a cruise. It's their time, paid for with their money.

I don't know the answer to your question, dockman, but I am curious about it. I hope someone can provide an answer.

First thing to do would be to try and find out if the ship TVs have HDMI inputs. If not, then there's nothing you can do, I think.

Edited by SeaMystique

Riclop's answer is unfair. People are entitled to spend their time anyway they choose on a cruise. It's their time, paid for with their money.

I don't know the answer to your question, dockman, but I am curious about it. I hope someone can provide an answer.

First thing to do would be to try and find out if the ship TVs have HDMI inputs. If not, then there's nothing you can do, I think.

Thank you for your helpful reply. Why people even bother to respond when they have nothing helpful to add has always been a mystery to me. If i want to watch a few DVD's in my room I hardly think that is going to bother anyone else.

Thank you for your helpful reply. Why people even bother to respond when they have nothing helpful to add has always been a mystery to me. If i want to watch a few DVD's in my room I hardly think that is going to bother anyone else.

Right. Plus, I'm a person who likes to have the TV fall asleep with the TV, so I get wanting to put on a DVD. However, I usually like the on board selection now so we found plenty to watch on our last cruise on the Regal.

Hopefully someone else has looked at it recently and can let you know!

Thanks for the info M4dc0w. we want to enjoy the balcony in the evenings with our kids in the cabin watching movies, so this is helpful. I wish others weren't so judgmental about how people spend their time on a cruise. I even like to check my email!

I always hook my computer up to the TV in the Cabin, and have never had a problem. I do bring my own connection cables. I have not YET been on one of the ships with the newer on demand TV Systems such as the Royal and Regal, but I have read that people can still hook up by disconnecting the ships box and connecting their computer in that TV input. I sometimes will play movies if we just want to relax, plus sometimes I will show off some of the pictures and movies that I captured that day as well! It is your cruise, so enjoy it any way you like!!!

To give a little visual, attached is a sample of the rear of one of the ship's TV. (Missing from the right side of the picture is a Component Video Connection of RGB plus audio RCA Jacks.) It is a little tight hooking up in the back most of the time, so I suggest doing what I do and taking a flash picture so that you can study the layout to make for easier hookup.

Happy Cruising!!! :D

Mark

1431362418_SapphirePrincessTVRear10-25-14.jpg.3a591d5b92eec7504823185c44f263bb.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I am normally a Holland America passenger and they have DVD players in all rooms on all ships along with a library of 1000 or so DVDs that they loan you for free to watch in your room.

I have a dvd recorder at home and like to record a lot of jeopardy and cash cab and then watch them when I have time and can fast forward through all the commercials.

Somebody other than me must enjoy in room dvds or I doubt Holland would provide such an extensive library along with players.

Edited by dockman

I have a dvd recorder at home and like to record a lot of jeopardy and cash cab and then watch them when I have time and can fast forward through all the commercials.

Where do you find Cash Cab these days? I have not seen it for a couple of years.

I would like to watch DVDs sometimes a long cruises with lots of sea days. Can anyone tell me what you need to hook up a portable DVD player to the TV in the cabin? I am so tech challenged that I do not even know what HDMI means or is. I really need a simple step-by-step explanation. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Where do you find Cash Cab these days? I have not seen it for a couple of years.

One of my time warner channels, the NUVO, shows 30 or more episodes every week. Strangely it is primarily a spanish language channel but for some reason shows a ton of Cash Cab reruns.

Most people don't go on a cruise to watch dvd's and hook up computers, we do that at home and don't have to pay a cruise fare.

Moment you pay for my cruise fare, and my time on that cruise, is the moment you can tell me how I can spend my vacation.

As for OP's question, it varies ship to ship. Most ships do not give you easy access to inputs, unlike, let's say, in some hotels, that have "remote port panel" by your bed.

On Crown, TVs were pretty small, but easy to access HDMI ports. On Royal, their VOD system is connected through only HDMI port, and you need to reach into a fairly tight place behind TV to get to that cable. I had no difficulty, but some people might.

Keep in mind, some ships will lock you out from switching inputs. Bring a universal remote. Or if you have a smartphone with IR blaster (Samsung, HTC), then download an app that can control multiple TV brands.

Generally, I had no issues connecting to TVs. But TV placement on Crown, and some other ships (NCL Epic) made it just much easier to watch stuff on my laptop. I usually bring a 2tb portable hard drive filled with movies and TV shows, in case we don't feel like being out and about.

On Regal, neither the remote, nor on screen menu, was able to change the source input to HDMI.

I have my iTunes movies and shows on my laptop and was unable to watch them thru the TV. I did not call the passenger services desk. At least I could watch my shows on the plane and while waiting to board.

Most people don't go on a cruise to watch dvd's and hook up computers, we do that at home and don't have to pay a cruise fare.

Thanks for your opinion (although the OP wasn't asking for it) but how do you possibly think this comment was useful for this thread. In the future I'll let you pick what you want to do and I'll appreciate it if you would let us pick what we want to do.

I usually sail with young kids and that gives them some quiet down time in the cabin. Again, thanks for telling us how wrong we were and how we should give more consideration on spending.

Moment you pay for my cruise fare, and my time on that cruise, is the moment you can tell me how I can spend my vacation.

As for OP's question, it varies ship to ship. Most ships do not give you easy access to inputs, unlike, let's say, in some hotels, that have "remote port panel" by your bed.

On Crown, TVs were pretty small, but easy to access HDMI ports. On Royal, their VOD system is connected through only HDMI port, and you need to reach into a fairly tight place behind TV to get to that cable. I had no difficulty, but some people might.

Keep in mind, some ships will lock you out from switching inputs. Bring a universal remote. Or if you have a smartphone with IR blaster (Samsung, HTC), then download an app that can control multiple TV brands.

Generally, I had no issues connecting to TVs. But TV placement on Crown, and some other ships (NCL Epic) made it just much easier to watch stuff on my laptop. I usually bring a 2tb portable hard drive filled with movies and TV shows, in case we don't feel like being out and about.

I suspect that every person on every cruise does something that I think is a waste of time. But I don't care what others do. It is their choice.

BTW, I am sure I do things that others think of as a waste of time.

The issue, once you can access the HDMI input on the TV, is changing the inputs. Nothing on the remote in the cabin will allow it. We travel with an inexpensive Universal Remote. Bring the guide that comes with it, too, as every TV we've ever encountered on a ship was listed in our guide. We simply type in the code and we can easily change inputs to, in our case, a laptop computer comtaining our video content.

Sailing Soon Again, that's what you need...an HDMI cable from Best Buy or pretty much any drugstore. We bought one 12 feet long because we were afraid 6 feet might be too stretched. Just plug it into your device and the other end into the back of the TV.

ETA: we could watch iTunes content from my laptop on the TV but had to change the volume on my laptop. Don't know why that was but it wasn't a huge issue.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

In our Deluxe Balcony cabin on the Regal the TV was so close to the wall that the HDMI cable was bent at a 90 degree angle. Even if I could teach the cable there was no clearance to unplug the cable. This is not the same as on other ships. We have even had some TV's with HDMI connections easily accessible on the side.

This is one of my fave threads of late. Thanks for all the info and advice everyone. I was wondering how easy it might be to do this with the newer TV's on Regal/Royal. Looks like a bit of a challenge unless have the universal remote. Not sure I will bother for a week cruise, but I can sure appreciate Pescado's desire while spending winter @ sea.

Edited by steelers36

If anyone needs to buy an HDMI cable, please do not go to the big box stores like Best Buy or even Wally World. Monoprice.com is your friend. Even with a shipping charge you can get a cable for a tiny portion of what you'd pay at these stores. Good quality too.

If anyone needs to buy an HDMI cable, please do not go to the big box stores like Best Buy or even Wally World. Monoprice.com is your friend. Even with a shipping charge you can get a cable for a tiny portion of what you'd pay at these stores. Good quality too.

I'm partial to ordering from Amazon. The Mediabridge and/or AmazonBasics cables work well. Since we're Amazon Prime customers we get 2-day shipping included.