Dogs on Key West

Jaylie

I read somewhere that there were a lot of dogs wandering around Key West. Does anyone know anything about that. Our cruise to the Bahamas on Infinity departs in a few weeks and I'm traveling with someone who is very afraid of dogs!

I've been to Key West about 20 times and don't recall seeing stray dogs. There are a lot of outdoor cats though.

Your friend shouldn't go to Grand Turk. There are dogs everywhere...they are mutts that all look the same...I was told that they belong to people and guard their homes but they live outdoors unleashed...I've never seen anything like it.

Only dog off a lead we saw was performing during the sunset celebrations, and he was upstaged by some performing cats....Could only happen in Key West!

If your friend is really apprehensive perhaps a full circuit around the town on the little tram would be a good start. As others have said, a great, safe tourist stop.

I just left Key West after living there for almost 20 years. No, feral dogs are not wandering around the city. But like someone else said, it is a dog friendly town, so many locals do walk around with them and take them into bars.

Don't know how the dog rumor got started!

My guess is it started with the fact many locals do walk around with their dogs. Even bums have dogs and use them in street/sidewalk acts. The story probably got lost in translation and turned into a stray problem.

• 2 weeks later...

During our many vacations in Key West we do not recall ever seeing a stray dog. The chickens, on the other hand, can have nasty dispositions. By the way, the fear of dogs is called Cynophobia and can be treated by mental health professionals.

Hank

Ahhh so you have a classic case of Alektorophobia. That is a problem in Key West :).

Hank

Probably so :o .... but I have no fear of spiders & snakes and will happily hold an iguana. :)

To get back on topic ... Dogs aren't roaming around in packs and are with their owners. No reason to worry about a dog just coming up to scare anyone.

Edited by OCruisers

Probably so :o .... but I have no fear of spiders & snakes and will happily hold an iguana. :)

To get back on topic ... Dogs aren't roaming around in packs and are with their owners. No reason to worry about a dog just coming up to scare anyone.

We could start a new topic about dogs dressed as clowns (the new scary phenom).

Hank

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...