before cruise out of Ft Lauderdale

carbon

There are some fun things to do and see there. We took a bus and just hopped off and on the trolley all around the island. I don't know how parking would be. Download a map of points of interest to see from their website .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A drive to the Keys is a great drive ! Even if you don't travel all the way to Key west ! You could drive to Key Largo ! And enjoy the keys without the extended drive !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... except that you won't get the benefit of seeing the true Overseas Highway that far north... if you don't go to Key West, you may at least want to drive through to at least Marathon in order to get the full majesty of the bridges over the ocean.

We are arriving a couple of days to Ft Lauderdale before heading on our cruise. We thought we would drive down to Key West for the day. Is this a good plan? We have never been there before. Any advice?

Key West is really too far for a daytrip. You will be spending at least 8 hours round trip in your car assuming no stops, and no traffic, neither of which is likely. Less than half of the drive is scenic and by the time you get to Key West and spend time here, the drive back seems long and daunting. You need to spend a night or two here to make it worth it in my opinion.

If you want to see some of The Keys I would drive to Key Largo and stop at Pennekamp State Park For a visit or a snorkeling tour. Then head further down to Islamorada for a nice late lunch. Islamorada has great waterfront restaurants like Morada Bay or Lazy Days. You can stop in to feed the tarpon at Robbie's, stop at Anne's Beach or visit Long Key State Park. There are also several long bridges in that area, so you get to experience the overseas highway without driving further towards Key West.

Islamorada is about half way to Key West from Fort Lauderdale. You will get a nice feel for The Keys with 4 hours fewer drive.

Several years ago we did do a day trip to Key West. We live an hour north of Ft Lauderdale, so we needed two more hours than you would. We left at nine AM and got home at 11:00 PM. Frankly, we have never been tempted to do a day trip again. We often go to Key West, but stay three nights.

The reason that we found the day trip a challenge was that we were already tired after the day in town but still had a long trek to go home. Also be aware that US HWY 1 has a very modest speed limit. You won't be able to go very fast. Much of it is only one lane in each direction.

Still, if this is the only way you can get to see Key West, give it a shot. Maybe you will like Key West enough to come back and spend more time when you can.

I think a trip down to Key Largo sends like the best option, I don't really want to spend the whole day driving. We have been to Ft Lauderdale several times and wanted to something different.

Tell me more about Key Largo.

Mant Thanks!

Edited by carbon

Islamorada, what is there to see and do?

I thought keywester33 gave great advice. Islamorada would make a great day trip from FLL. I recommend going to the Worldwide Sportsman complex where you can do some shopping and tour a replica of Hemingway's Pilar. The Islamorada Fish Company is right there and is an outdoor tiki bar restaurant that's right on the water. They usually have live entertainment playing.

Hand-feeding the tarpon at Robbies Marina is fun. You can also stop in at the Blond Giraffe in Tavernier and try a piece of key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate.

I also agree with the others. Key West is quite a haul for only a day trip. Your one-way trip would be an easy 4 hours.

We're doing the same. Flying in from California on Wednesday, arriving at 9 pm. Spending the night in Ft Lauderdale, then driving to Key West on Thursday and coming back Saturday morning. We'll have to leave very early Saturday because I'm worried about getting stuck behind traffic or an accident and missing our ship that departs at 4. The price difference between flying Wednesday instead of Friday was enough to pay for two nights in Key West plus one night in Ft Lauderdale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We're doing the same. Flying in from California on Wednesday, arriving at 9 pm. Spending the night in Ft Lauderdale, then driving to Key West on Thursday and coming back Saturday morning. We'll have to leave very early Saturday because I'm worried about getting stuck behind traffic or an accident and missing our ship that departs at 4. The price difference between flying Wednesday instead of Friday was enough to pay for two nights in Key West plus one night in Ft Lauderdale.

You've got a good plan and plenty of time to do it. Saturday morning northbound traffic tends to be very light. If you leave Key West at 7am, you'll likely arrive at Port Everglades around 11. If you're returning a car, I recommend leaving around 6:30.

We decided to fly into FLL on Tuesday early afternoon. We will head to Key West Tuesday afternoon. We will leave Key West Friday morning, no rental car to worry about as we are parking at the cruise terminal. I am excited to have two full days in the area. Any recommendation for dinner early evening on Tuesday the day we drive down?

We decided to fly into FLL on Tuesday early afternoon. We will head to Key West Tuesday afternoon. We will leave Key West Friday morning, no rental car to worry about as we are parking at the cruise terminal. I am excited to have two full days in the area. Any recommendation for dinner early evening on Tuesday the day we drive down?

For dessert and after dinner drinks, go to Better than Sex:

http://www.betterthansexkeywest.com/

Our favorite thing to do on the way down to the Keys is stop in the Homestead / Redlands area, along the Redland Riot Tour route. The main stop for us is Robert is Here ... gotta have those milkshakes! On the way back from the Keys, we stop at Schnebly's winery.

http://www.redlandriot.com/

Lots of other neat things to see and do ... Fruit and Spice Park (take the tram tour), RF Orchid's, Knauss Berry Farm (bakery and U-pick strawberries).

Edited by brunello22

We are a couple in our mid to upper sixties. We left Fort lauderdale early morning on the express freeway. Had a wonderful drive down to key west. Got their for lunch,went to hemmingways, strolled all around for several hours. Stopped for dinner in Islamorada.Arrived home around 8:30. Was a wonderful day. We were so happy we just went ahead and did it, because everyone said don't do it, to long a drive, too far to go. I loved the scenic drive. Best to pay and go on express lanes.