Who's better for Alaska?

map92

You will find rave reviews for all Alaska cruises! Instead I suggest determining what you want with your visit. Find out about each port, select your touring interests. Look at port times. Then your list is more workable. You need to first select what cruise route as well.

Many say that Glacier Bay is a "Must" for an Alaskan cruise....at least for a FIRST Alaskan cruise. However, only certain cruiselines are able to go there (they limit admittance to two ships per day) If that's important to you, find out who 'can' and who 'cannot'...then go from there...

We chose Princess because they do Alaska so much....assume they 'get it right' with that much experience. haha! That being said, I'm sure Celebrity is great too. :)

Many say that Glacier Bay is a "Must" for an Alaskan cruise....at least for a FIRST Alaskan cruise. However, only certain cruiselines are able to go there (they limit admittance to two ships per day) If that's important to you, find out who 'can' and who 'cannot'...then go from there...

We chose Princess because they do Alaska so much....assume they 'get it right' with that much experience. haha! That being said, I'm sure Celebrity is great too. :)

My personal opinion, I find this dismissing some excellent options.

I also find the "experience" claim hardly valid. All the major cruise lines have been sailing Alaska, at least 20 years. I certainly haven't heard of any ships getting lost/off course etc, due to being "new". All the cruise lines use the same port tour vendors.

I have not been on Celebrity in Alaska, they are known for having one of the best naturalists onboard.

That being said, I really like Princess. I am one who puts Glacier Bay as a must for Alaska for a first time cruiser. I say this as Glacier Bay is never missed and Celebrity doesn't have permits there. My first cruise to Alaska was with RCCL and we had Hubbard glacier on the cruise and we missed it. It was a huge disappointment for me. So I say go to Glacier Bay which means not Celebrity.

Princess does a ton of enrichment programs onboard about Alaska. On RCCL, all we had was "a shopping guide". RCCL's enrichment programs were zilch compared to Princess. I have really enjoyed the speakers that Princess bring onboard along with their naturalist:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/

I also like Princess's one ways as they have 2 glacier days. So if you are interested in Hubbard Glacier, Princess has itineraries with both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier on the cruise. So in case, you miss Hubbard glacier, you have another Glacier day. Celebrity does not do this.

The past few years, Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm were frequently missed. Hopefully this will be a better year.

Hmmm.......I thought the naturalists on cruise ships were provided by the NPS. Are the rangers/naturalists assigned to specific cruise lines?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every ship that goes to Glacier Bay requires National Park Service rangers to board the ship for the day. They are in the Bridge plus also in various places providing educational sessions and answering questions.

Many cruise lines don't have any additional naturalists or speakers beyond this. For example - we had nothing on RCCL. Some lines have Naturalists through out the entire week giving talks several days and also out and about speaking with people or from the bridge informing people if they happen to see wild life. Also, some cruise lines have additional speakers come onboard such as Princess who do additional talks.

Hmmm.......I thought the naturalists on cruise ships were provided by the NPS. Are the rangers/naturalists assigned to specific cruise lines?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Celebrity has naturalists on their ships deployed in Alaska and also on some other itineraries (such as South America). These folks are not NPS staff but are employees of Celebrity.

Celebrity has naturalists on their ships deployed in Alaska and also on some other itineraries (such as South America). These folks are not NPS staff but are employees of Celebrity.

Didn't know that - thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity has one of the best naturalists out there - Brent Nixon.

I will continue to suggest, look at multiple options- BEFORE eliminating cruises. Coral has a "glacier" priority, and always focuses on a single RCI trip years ago. There have been numerous times, in my experience- including last year- twice, that Hubbard was sailed right up to, with RCI, along with me watching 2 bears for 10 minutes running along the shoreline. There is no perfect trip. I happen to really like Hoonah and the wildlife opportunities there. I have flown over Glacier Bay- which could be a superior experience as well. There could be interest in Seward? Tracy Arm? Haines? A lot to consider.

I have also sailed Princess- with one trip, the cpt, making a 180' turn and LEAVING from Margerie Glacier, in Glacier Bay NO extended viewing on the starboard side.

There are people who run out for 15 minutes, snap a few photos and are done with glacier viewing. I find- very few people out during the entire sailing. Empty decks.

As I suggest- multiple options for YOUR trip.

I will continue to suggest, look at multiple options- BEFORE eliminating cruises. Coral has a "glacier" priority, and always focuses on a single RCI trip years ago. There have been numerous times, in my experience- including last year- twice, that Hubbard was sailed right up to, with RCI, along with me watching 2 bears for 10 minutes running along the shoreline. T.

The difference with BQ and most cruisers, is if BQ misses a glacier, she will have the opportunity to go multiple times that summer and following summers. Most people go to Alaska just 1 time. If they miss a glacier, they have no idea what they missed and will not have an opportunity to be back. I think she thinks most people can vacation 12 weeks out of the year....

RCCL's enrichment programs are not even close to some of the other lines.

I have done 3 lines to Alaska. Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I have to agree with Coral. Royal Caribbean was the most disappointing. Holland America and Princess offered more options and had Alaska activities onboard. Royal Caribbean had nothing. I really believe Holland America and Princess are leaders in Alaska. I am one who also suggests Glacier Bay for a first cruise. I have missed Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm multiple times. Pretty disappointing to go all that distance and having to skip it.

We have been on three Alaska cruises, Princess round trip from Seattle, Royal Caribbean Seward to Vancouver, and Holland America. They were all spectacular experiences, but the one we enjoyed the most was Holland America due to its 14 day cruise itinerary.

Decide which itinerary you are most interested in. Alaska is amazing and is more about the places you will see rather than the cruise line. Happy cruising!

Most cruises in Alaska only have 1 glacier day. Consider yourself extremely lucky to book a cruise with 2 glacier days! If you only have 1 glacier day pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay. It is amazing. You will not regret it. Celebrity and RCCL do not go there. I haven't been close to Hubbard glacier in years. It is iffy many times.

My personal opinion, I find this dismissing some excellent options.

I also find the "experience" claim hardly valid. All the major cruise lines have been sailing Alaska, at least 20 years. I certainly haven't heard of any ships getting lost/off course etc, due to being "new". All the cruise lines use the same port tour vendors.

Haha...that was funny. I just assumed the 'new' ships got lost all the time.... :D

I just answered the question the OP asked...which was about Princess and Celebrity. In an effort to not say anything disparaging about any cruiseline, I simply gave info about Glac. Bay's permissions and left if for the OP to figure it out from there. Yes, I know HAL goes to G. B. - and does the Alaska thing very well...but the question wasn't about HAL. Now....other posters have brought them up and that's great. :) Perhaps the OP will choose to consider....research that or other lines. (and perhaps, the OP doesn't care anything about Glac. Bay....just because I do doesn't mean the rest of the world does...hmmm..) That's what answers to our questions here on Cruise critic do for us....they give us information.

And of course...there's always that one person who informs us all that cruise ships don't get lost..... :D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh.

The difference with BQ and most cruisers, is if BQ misses a glacier, she will have the opportunity to go multiple times that summer and following summers. Most people go to Alaska just 1 time. If they miss a glacier, they have no idea what they missed and will not have an opportunity to be back. I think she thinks most people can vacation 12 weeks out of the year....

RCCL's enrichment programs are not even close to some of the other lines.

Why would you think- I am "ok" with so so touring, because I go frequently???? That it is OK for me to have crappy trips?| Sorry you are dead wrong. My choices are for what I like and enjoy. Not just wasting time getting on any cruise because I can.

Your claim that those 1 time cruisers are going to have a superior trip, because they go to Glacier Bay ? Again- only my opinion- I really like all the glacier sailing areas. Each is unique with scenic beauty.

A difference in opinion and the option to consider looking further. All it is.

Your claim that those 1 time cruisers are going to have a superior trip, because they go to Glacier Bay ? Again- only my opinion- I really like all the glacier sailing areas. Each is unique with scenic beauty.

My point is that they have guaranteed Glacier viewing with Glacier Bay. They do not have that with Hubbard or Tracy Arm.

I do agree the others are nice also, if they get to see it and if it is not cancelled. Hubbard and Tracy Arm are not guaranteed. Last year, access to Tracy Arm was extremely restricted. Some years, Hubbard is also very restricted.

For our first Alaska trip last year we chose NCL Jewel as it had a great 10 day trip with lots of ports and good pricing. We were very pleased with our selection and liked our first ever cruise aboard NCL. For our trip this year, we chose Princess as they had some good pricing and we were able to do a 5 day cruisetour (land trip) prior to the cruise. So read up on what Alaska has to offer and do some research on the ports and then decide what is most important to you so that you can make an educated choice on which cruise line best serves your needs and what you are looking to accomplish.

Out of the 2, Princess.

Would you go to Paris & not see the Eiffel Tower? Then why go to Alaska and not see Glacier Bay? It is a world heritage site for a reason.

I too would recommend looking in to Holland America as well. (As 30-somethings with a 4.5 year old child, we chose them for our first AK cruise & loved it. We will be returning to HAL for a 14-nihgt cruise in July 2017.)

Would you go to Paris & not see the Eiffel Tower? Then why go to Alaska and not see Glacier Bay? It is a world heritage site for a reason.

Totally agree. We chose HAL two years ago and went to Glacier Bay because we sure as heck were not travelling all the way from South Carolina not to see a glacier. At the time we thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip for us. It turns out that we are going with my parents in 2018, but we'll be doing Glacier Bay because they aren't going to come all the was from Texas for no glaciers. 😃

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Out of the 2, Princess.

Would you go to Paris & not see the Eiffel Tower?

Actually, yes! Last summer I visited Paris for the first time, but I had only two days to visit. Having studied Paris extensively as a student, I decided that my priorities for this limited visit were the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. While staying in the Latin Quarter, I spent one day at each and had a fabulous time. We also walked the city day and night, which was another of my priorities. The Tower was just too far away. I have absolutely no regrets about missing the Tower.

I therefore must agree with BQ, that, like the Eiffel Tower, a glacier view from a cruise ship might be a priority to some people but not to others.