Smoking on balconies

Brading10

Recently back from a cruise on Balmoral to the Canaries. Expected good weather so got ourselves a Superior Suite.

Lovely suite and lovely balcony....but could hardly use it because of a constant -pipe smoker next door!..not his fault really as Fred Olsen allow this in their policy, but it ruined our trip and sometimes the pipe smoke came inside our cabin so we had to shut the door. Unacceptable and Fred Olsen very unsympathetic with our plight.

Anyone else had this problem or were we just unlucky?

Fred must be about the only line still allowing smoking on balconies. I cannot imagine it will be long before they too ban it. It is a danger of course, as well as unpleasant for the neighbours. There was a fire on a Princess ship caused by a cigarette on a balcony.

We went to see a superior suite on Braemar last Nov/Dec and we could smell smoke when we went out onto the balcony - and at that price too. It was not strong, but noticeable and as an asthmatic it would have bothered me. We would never consider booking a balcony if smoking is allowed, but I wonder if that helps Fred sell those overpriced cabins to smokers, who have nowhere else to go, if they want to smoke on their balcony.

The Terrace Balconies on prom deck are smoke free. That part of the deck is smoke free, so they cannot really let people smoke there.