Vancouver British Columbia things to see

We are in port from 7-4pm. Looking for the must see things. We love to be active walking around exploring not in groups. Do not enjoy shopping. Would prefer to plan a walking tour if possible. If not we could uber some of it. Thx everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in port from 7-4pm. Looking for the must see things. We love to be active walking around exploring not in groups. Do not enjoy shopping. Would prefer to plan a walking tour if possible. If not we could uber some of it. Thx everyone :)

I would walk around Stanley park . Here are some links to the park

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park.aspx

https://www.tourismvancouver.com/activities/stanley-park/

Would prefer to plan a walking tour if possible. If not we could uber some of it.
Thoughts....

• There is no Uber at this time.
  • what day are you in Vancouver? If it's a 3 ship day.... getting in and out of the terminal has significant delays with security and customs.
  • LandSea offers a pre/post-cruise tour that might fit your timeline....
    http://vancouvertours.com/pre-post-cruise-tours/

Edited by xlxo

Must-see? Aside from the fact you like to walk and don't want to shop, I know nothing about you & your family. It's easier to list what we DON'T have in Vancouver than what we do - so for a single day visit when you have to choose between all of them but only have time for a very small number, I simply would not feel able to best advise what would be best for YOU. For example, Stanley Park is one of the best parks on the planet - but to do it real justice could eat your entire day leaving no time for anything else. Would you rather walk around more urban areas, maybe on a free general walking tour? Or a modestly-priced very focused architectural or heritage tour? What if it's raining - are you bring appropriate gear to be happy to walk around all day if it's wet?

Without more info about you & yours, the best advice is to do your own research then come back with specific questions you haven't been able to find the answers to - Tripadvisor lists cover the most popular things with Joe Q Public. Search right here on CruiseCritic is useful too (the new format now defaults to Advanced Search, which is much more useful - you should find many, many threads about things to do and see and eat in Vancouver on several of the CC boards).

Thanks for the replies. We are there on 5/28 on a b2b2 cruise so we will have from around 7am until afternoon when we reboard. I looked into Stanley park and it looks great. What's the best way to get there and where should we focus our time it looks huge (love those big trees) Don't want to spend the entire day there but maybe 3 - 4 hours - maybe pick up some local food and picnic??) Also we are fine walking in the rain if it happens. What would go nicely with Stanley park ? We've been to a lot of aquariums so probably wouldn't do that. I know no one knows exactly what we like I'm just looking for when we were there we loved blank or wish we hadn't spent time on blank etc etc thx everyone. :)

Replies from fellow short-term visitors will likely hit closer to the mark for you then. I can offer logistical help though - by far the best way to see the park is with a bike rental. If some in your party cannot ride, there are adult tricycles and tandems available and tagalongs/trailers for little 'uns. Bikes are great because you can get to anywhere that you can walk, considerably faster, but it's still very easy to just stop for photos etc.

The Seawall is the best way to get there and back, whether on foot or by bike - no cars, right by the water, scenic as all get out. Many locals like to bike/walk around the whole exterior of the park - approx 5miles - from the Coal Harbour side (where ships dock) to the English Bay side then cut back across the downtown peninsula either staying inside the park on the trails around Lost Lagoon or continuing further into downtown (even off the Seawall, we have a ton of real bike lanes - many separated entirely from traffic by barriers, not just painted lines).

Inside the park itself (you'll also find that site has descriptions of the Seawall, maps etc) the most popular stops are the Totem Poles (you'll see them from the Seawall), the Rose Garden (this is in the interior, you need to get off the Seawall to get to it), and Prospect Point (highest spot, almost under Lions Gate bridge). Casual food at Prospect Point Cafe isn't bad value - soups & sandwiches & ice creams. Buy from Meat & Bread for sandwiches if you want to buy in advance and carry with you for picnicking.

Things to combine with the park - Granville Island is not just about shopping, although the Public Market is a huge draw. There's a ton of independent crafty-type stores selling all kinds of arty things not just tourist tat. Also two breweries and a sake maker for sampling (careful about biking afterwards!) and an interesting little residential houseboat zone. Crossing on the Aquabus is best with bikes - they have some RORO ferries - but on foot False Creek Ferries have a slightly more convenient stop (i.e. nearer the Park) right on the Seawall. You can of course just ride or walk all the way around False Creek through the Yaletown marina, Science World, the Athlete's Village and back to Granville (not actually an island - it's connected to land on the south side of the creek). Lots of lunch spots on GI, and also in the 'hoods just mentioned.

Personally though with just one day I'd do Park, then ferry to GI, then another ferry from GI to far end of the creek, then up into Chinatown (nice gate, absolutely superb Garden) and Gastown (oldest 'hood in the city), returning to the pier after that. If you do rent bikes it would be feasible to skip the ferry and ride from GI down to Athlete's village but if you're on foot all day it's definitely going to save a lot of time taking the wee ferries. NB: all bike rentals include helmets (by law - wear them or risk fines) and bike locks (use them - casual property theft is a big issue locally).

• 3 weeks later...

What about the HOHO trolley? We did that on our first visit to Vancouver and it was great. We hopped off at Granville Island and Stanley park and spent some time in each of those places. We thought it was a good way to see a lot in a short period of time and you can get off and walk around at various stops.

The second time we went we took the shuttle bus from outside Canada Place and went to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was fun. There are bridges and and trails and lookouts. That really only took a morning though. But you could combine that with walking around town for a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We spent several days in Vancouver. One day, we spent a morning exploring the Stanley Park seawalk, gardens, and the totem area (but skipped the pricey aquarium). Then we accessed the transit train which delivered us only a few blocks from Queen Elizabeth Park where we had a fabulous lunch at the Seasons Restaurant. This restaurant is located in the park and overlooks the city. While at Queen Elizabeth Park we also enjoyed the beautiful quarry gardens that resembled a miniature Butchart garden in Victoria, as well as a fascinating biosphere with tropical plants and free-flying birds. We were back to our hotel by 3:00

Then we accessed the transit train which delivered us only a few blocks from Queen Elizabeth Park where we had a fabulous lunch at the Seasons Restaurant. This restaurant is located in the park and overlooks the city. While at Queen Elizabeth Park we also enjoyed the beautiful quarry gardens that resembled a miniature Butchart garden in Victoria, as well as a fascinating biosphere with tropical plants and free-flying birds.
A bit of a warning.... from the King Edward Canada Line station to Seasons is 1 mile with a hill. Most of the time, it's a great walk... not so pleasant a sunny hot afternoon.

BTW.... QE park is actually an ancient volcano. You are ascending the crater when you visit the conservatory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mountain_(British_Columbia)